• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Last Man Standing Producer Cancels Special Event

And if they'd been smart enough* to make the character a classy, professional-sounding CB operator with a functioning rig, this wouldn't even be an issue. Trash, stereotype and run CB into the ground as you all will (and I know you will; you're not hurting anybody but yourselves by doing so), this is just another point favouring the superiority of unregulated amateur radio over HAM.

[size=8pt]_________________________________
* Then again, it _is_ Disney we're talking about......

Yeah, that's right, I said "professional-sounding CB operator". Do you "hamhocks" have a problem with that?

I don't know how it could be any more oxymoronic than, say, "opened-minded HAM operator". You know?

It's too bad that the rules have to interfere with making Ham Radio exciting to the average person.
Similar things happen when we try to promote it via the broadcast stations that we work for.

Hate to break it to you guys: It's not just the regulations; many times it's also the people. I can tell you from experience that HAM isn't always the nice little close-knit community that welcomes newcomers with open arms and warm embrace, no matter how closely and to-the-word said newcomer attempts to follow customs and obey procedure. A good portion of operators, especially old-timers, can be (read: are) hostile cutthroats who'll go overboard making newcomers feel unwelcome because they feel "their" private little utopia of the airwaves is being trodden upon by unclean feet. It's hard for a newcomer to a hobby to find it exciting when its practitioners try to prevent it from being so. In fact, if anything, it'll kill it really fast.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but that's how it is in the real world. Pretty far cry from what HAM's boosters and the ARRL's marketing drones will have you believe, innit? Just because something looks neat on paper doesn't always mean it'll work out like that in practise. That's how it is in reality.

Been there, done that.

Darth_vader said:
Hate to break it to you guys: It's not just the regulations; many times it's also the people. I can tell you from experience that HAM isn't always the nice little close-knit community that welcomes newcomers with open arms and warm embrace, no matter how closely and to-the-word said newcomer attempts to follow customs and obey procedure. A good portion of operators, especially old-timers, can be (read: are) hostile cutthroats who'll go overboard making newcomers feel unwelcome because they feel "their" private little utopia of the airwaves is being trodden upon by unclean feet. It's hard for a newcomer to a hobby to find it exciting when its practitioners try to prevent it from being so. In fact, if anything, it'll kill it really fast.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but that's how it is in the real world. Pretty far cry from what HAM's boosters and the ARRL's marketing drones will have you believe, innit? Just because something looks neat on paper doesn't always mean it'll work out like that in practise. That's how it is in reality.

Been there, done that.
As positive proof of your point, one needn't look any further than EchoLink, IRLP, D-STAR & (Albeit to a lesser extent) Packet Radio & APRS. The "Political Heads" in Newington didn't believe any of these would work or be considered acceptable forms of communication (Even though the FCC VERY INDIRECTLY & many years earlier did). Yet they're still around

No one in Newington thought satellite communications would be possible. Guess what - AMSAT (And later NASA itself) would prove them wrong ;D

Going back even further in time, not many people (Especially in Newington) thought SSB would work. GUESS WHAT - It's still around

Tis funny what can happen when a bunch of people put their heads together, isn't it? :D

Cheers & 73 :D

.....Huh? My argument is about how the rudeness and the narrow, closed minds of people who inhabit the HAM bands around here these days, particularly the geriatrics, are essentially killing it as a worthwile hobby for young/er newcomers. So how are all these random modulation formats and transmission systems you listed supposed to be related to that?

I've reread your response six times now and I'm still scratching my head about it.

The problem with the Last Man Standing thing isn't the alleged closed minds of hams -- after all, the guy running it was apparently a ham. It looks like he was trying to promote the hobby in an exciting way.

But then you've got the FCC rules. And the rule in question seems pretty clear: you can't run a station in which you have a "pecuniary interest, including communications on behalf of an employer." The ham station could have been perceived as promoting a commercial operation -- the TV show.

Which is why if Disney'd been smart enough (oxymoron) to make the character a classy and professional-sounding CB operator with a functioning rig, this wouldn't even be an issue. Trash, stereotype and discredit CB as you all will (and I know you will; you're not hurting anybody but yourselves by doing so), this is just another point favouring the superiority of unregulated amateur radio over HAM.

Funny how this has come full-circle now...

boombox said:
The problem with the Last Man Standing thing isn't the alleged closed minds of hams -- after all, the guy running it was apparently a ham. It looks like he was trying to promote the hobby in an exciting way.

But then you've got the FCC rules. And the rule in question seems pretty clear: you can't run a station in which you have a "pecuniary interest, including communications on behalf of an employer." The ham station could have been perceived as promoting a commercial operation -- the TV show.
That's too bad. I guess it could violate the letter of the law but certainly not the spirit as the primary goal appears to be to promote ham radio & its association with the show is an ancillary part of that. The spirit of the law was to prevent ham radio from becoming another 2-way commercial band & to avoid those who would circumvent licensing on commercial land mobile frequencies.

The event was actually run by a group of ham radio clubs in LA. Have a QSL card from the event. You can do it an still be within the letter of the law.

I'm a little late to reply on this one but indulge me if you will. I can agree with Darth on one point there are cliqueish Hams who not only discorage newcommers but also anyone they don't happen to like. This is very evident in some of the clubs.

There is just no comparison between Ham Radio and CB Radio, especially after the FCC deregulated CB. You'd be hard pressed to find a professional sounding CB operator. Even back in the '70's people keyed up all over each other and created all kinds of problems. Also CB usually has a range of maybe 5 miles under normal conditions, it's AM and very prone to interference. Ham radio has FM, repeaters and more than one band depending on what you want to do. Single Side Band on the Ham HF frequencies allows you to work the world.

As my friend said to me when we both got our Ham license, "Man this sure beats the heck out of CB".

I saw the show last week that has been in the pipeline for a few weeks and they had no problem with licensed hams talking to an unlicensed ham.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom