• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LADY GAGA GOES COUNTRY?!!!

WPPCProductions said:
Yes ,Olivia Newton -John was not welcome in Nashville.I remember Charlie Rich was upset that John Denver so he set fire to the envelope with a cigarette lighter on the CMA's.
I like all three of these people. What exactly did Charlie Rich do? There seems to be a word missing.

scott salvatori said:
allright, i suppose i should hear the gaga country before i lambaste it...

of interesting note, pointer sisters released a country song in summertime 74, which didnt sound half bad. this pop act crossover country release stuff has been going on for years. by the way, sheryl crow, has a cut on the carter family tribute release, from a couple few years ago. no, it aint a single release for country radio, but oh, how it works, and how good it is!!!!

john denver, was considered an outsider, interloper by those hardcore nashvillelites in the biz, back in 75, when he won CMA entertainer of the year. should have never won that award. sorry, but john denver aint country. yes, he did record some country stuff, that crossed over and worked. this aint by any means me putting down john denver. in my opinion, some of his great poet songwriting, and recordings are flat out the finest around, period! "sweet surrender","I'm sorry","my sweet lady","poems and prayers, and promises". just to name a few.
I heard "My Sweet Lady" just this morning. Nice.

EZway2go said:
WPPCProductions: Yes, that Pointer Sisters Karen and Richard Carpenter's hit "Sweet Sweet Smile" was a Top Ten country hit in the late '70s and didn't even make the Top 40 in pop.
My pop station plays that one, I think. "Top of the World" is also country. Both of those should have been on what was my favorite country station between 2005 and 2010. That station was playing The Carpenters for nearly ten years before that and still had a lot of stuff like Patsy Cline, Brenda Lee, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Eddie Rabbitt, Crystal Gayle, Willie Nelson, Elvis, Jim Reeves, Eddy Arnold, Olivia Newton-John and Kenny Rogers in its collection.

Jay F said:
TheBigA said:
WPPCProductions said:
I remember Charlie Rich was upset that John Denver so he set fire to the envelope with a cigarette lighter on the CMA's.

Yep, he was an idiot. Say what you will about John Denver...his records were closer to country than a lot of other people of that period. Country Roads is a great song, regardless of who sings it. If the Osborne Brothers can sing Country Roads, then by God it's a country song. And you can't tell me Thank God I'm a Country Boy isn't country. John Denver was a poet and fully deserved that award.

The ironic thing is that Charlie Rich wasn't a traditional country artist. He had some slick sounding (and very good) songs that did quite well on the pop chart. Despite being Nashville based. Who was he to judge what was real country?
Yeah, he gets played a lot on my pop station. I like his biggest hits.

This is off the main topic I know but, someone mentioned Stevie Nicks a few posts back. After The Glitter Fades was a great song and I was still in full-time country radio when that was a hit and our station had that on our play list. I always said if Stevie were to think about going full bore country, just listen to Paulette Carlson when she was with Highway 101 and you'd have what she would sound like. Anybody else think they sound similar?

radio30 said:
This is off the main topic I know but, someone mentioned Stevie Nicks a few posts back. After The Glitter Fades was a great song and I was still in full-time country radio when that was a hit and our station had that on our play list. I always said if Stevie were to think about going full bore country, just listen to Paulette Carlson when she was with Highway 101 and you'd have what she would sound like. Anybody else think they sound similar?

Yes It was probably me.After the Glitter Fades peaked at #70 on the Hot Country Songs chart in 1982.Peaked at 32 on the hot 100 pop charts the same year.As I remember 1050 WHN New York played both at the time.Yes Paulette Caslson sounds and looks like Stevie Nicks.It would be interesting if Paulette recorded a Stevie Nicks cover like "Dreams"and releasing the tune at the time when Highway 101 came on board.

stevie nicks is on record,as to sayin she might record a country album some day. this quote from many years ago. it may work. i love stevie, especially her solo albums!!! she released one in the last ten years with little fan fare. wow, it was good!!
regarding that carpenters country song "sweet sweet smile" totally forgot about that(round 77, right?). yep, it worked, and worked good. karen carpenter, one of the all time great "from the heart singers" nailed it with that country song!!

radio30:

Yes, Paulette Carlson does have a similarity in her voice to Stevie Nicks. I've played some Paulette Carlson solo songs over the past few years.

I also have a copy of Paulette Carlson on a 45 record with "I'd Say Yes," which was released during the pre-Highway 101 days. I'm not aware of any "covers," however.

There were some rumours {no pun intended}late last year about there might be a country tribute of Fleetwood Mac Rumours album.also like the Eagles tribute years ago.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom