• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

L.A. Times: O&A suspension leads to hundreds of XM cancellations

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-shockradio17may17,0,5876487.story?coll=la-home-business

"I signed up for XM because it's uncensored. I like these guys because they are so unfiltered," said Placentia resident Paul Hebert, who canceled his $12.95 monthly XM subscription Tuesday in protest. He wasn't alone. Hundreds of angry subscribers have flooded XM's operators with calls to cancel since the suspension was announced Tuesday. About 60 listeners smashed their XM receivers Wednesday outside the WFNY-FM studios in New York

(It's felt XM is catering to regulatory pressure/impending merger concern. One guy is said to have spent
6 hours on the phone trying to cancel.)

Why don't they just listen to regular radio since their there for now. I have tried to listen to O&A, but my god! I thought it was the Gay Station; all they ever talked about was homosexual things that were stupid. Thank god for Stern and Bubba the Love Sponge. People will now see how very little talent O&A actually have, all 3 of their fans.

I like O&A, but I think the efforts of their hard core fans will prove to be counter productive. They’re making a bad situation worse by hurting the very company willing to air “anything goes” talk.

It’s likely that the boys will be fired if they appear to be encouraging their listeners to cancel XM subscriptions. The smart move would be for them to call for an end to this nonsense and support their employer.

I'd like for them to have a job to come back to.

Quote: "About 60 listeners smashed their XM receivers Wednesday outside the WFNY-FM studios in New York"

Well, that was money well spent!  ::)

I was never down with the idea of having "Shock Jocks" on satellite anyway, so, to me their suspension and possible firing is no big deal. There are plenty of good talk shows to choose from, and even better music choices!  8)

wow hundreds out of 8 million...well wooptee dooo ::)

xm rules! who cares about o and a anyway. they were traitors to go back to fm radio anyway!

Well I can't say I'd go and smash my receiver... I'd probably try to pawn it off or give it to someone else maybe? Or I might just hang onto it because they could just reverse their decision, I wouldn't be pissed off anymore and now what? I have to buy a new receiver!!

Anyway, although Opie and Anthony fans might be spearheading the effort, because let's face it, they're freakin out there, I would cancel my subscription on the premise that XM is faltering on their claim of supporting such programming. If you can't live up to your promises, don't make them.

But, here's an interesting tidbit I thought of. What say the folks that were going to approve the merger suddenly have second thoughts because if folks actually do cancel their subscriptions over a mere firing *check* suspension of a morning show, then what's stopping them and perhaps more from abandoning the services (both of them) altogether when they start monkeying with the channels like you know they will!?

The Dude said:
smashedcd said:
xm rules! who cares about o and a anyway. they were traitors to go back to fm radio anyway!
Thats not the point,the point is XM IS SUPPOSED TO BE UNCENSORED!!
Have you checked any other stations? Face it, XM uses censorship; try to listen to music stations that play unsensored music. Can't find one. The music played is exactly the same as on terrestrial; profanity silenced or bleeped out. You want uncenshorship, go Sirius.

sincitysfavoriteson said:
The Dude said:
smashedcd said:
Have you checked any other stations? Face it, XM uses censorship; try to listen to music stations that play unsensored music. Can't find one. The music played is exactly the same as on terrestrial; profanity silenced or bleeped out. You want uncenshorship, go Sirius.

crack kills! xm 42 liquid metal is very uncensored! as is squizz 48 and both rap channels. that is a false statement. and i have sirius btw. i have both services.

smashedcd said:
The Dude said:
smashedcd said:

crack kills! xm 42 liquid metal is very uncensored! as is squizz 48 and both rap channels. that is a false statement. and i have sirius btw. i have both services.
As do I since I own a GM vehicle. Must be I listen at the wrong times cause every time I channel seek on XM, I get censored music even on the rap channels and rock channels, even the latin ones! I turn on my Sirius and those same genres at the same times I don't get the censored version of the same songs. WTF?! ???

Not that it matters, but here's what I just sent the XM corporate weezels... (and yes... I DID call and suspend it)

RE: Opie and Anthony 30 day suspension

"Dear" XM:

I would like to register my distaste for your decision to suspend Opie and Anthony. By following the wishes of the thought police MINORITY, XM proved it is no better than terrestrial radio in standing behind it's talent, or fans for that matter. The brass at XM should be ashamed of themselves. If the XM listenership wanted censored dribble, the numerous automated Crap Channel stations per market would be a quite cheaper alternative to paying XM's 12 dollar a month subscription. I personally only listen to the music channels, but am adamantly against the MINORITY restricting what the MAJORITY must listen to. Sanitation of radio throughout time is what ruined radio in the first place. XM at first seemed to offer a new start to innovative radio, but sadly it appears corporate cowardness is quickly on the way to ruining it. Since all XM seems to be worried about now is "the merger", I personally hope the merger gets blocked. That would be what is called poetic justice. It would serve XM right. I'll be calling and writing my reps urging them to do the RIGHT thing and ask to keep the two services separate. In fact, I'll be asking others to do the same. At least that way Mel can give you guys all the indigestion you truly deserve.

Have a fine day.

(signature)

Hmmm... maybe the impending merger is making XM attempt to characterize themselves as the clean choice or the terrestrial look-alike so as to be "family-friendly"? That would be an interesting strategy and not unfounded. I think that might be a brilliant move by them. Then O&A could be hired by the "dirrty dawgs" of Sirius and they can have brand differentiation and keep both services on as a viable programming resource.

What do you think?

smashedcd said:
The Dude said:
smashedcd said:

As do I since I own a GM vehicle. Must be I listen at the wrong times cause every time I channel seek on XM, I get censored music even on the rap channels and rock channels, even the latin ones! I turn on my Sirius and those same genres at the same times I don't get the censored version of the same songs. WTF?! ???

there are 2 urban channels that are censored. the city and the heat. raw is very very uncensored! as is the old school rap channel. and listen to 42 or as they call it on the radio fourty f****** two!!

smashedcd said:
The Dude said:
smashedcd said:

the clear channel stations on xm use censored music . is that the stations you are hearing. ccxm= kiss 21 and mix 22.

Can't stand 21 or 22, too "regular". I'm in the 40's and 65-68. I just may be listening at the wrong times. I will admit, I spend alot of time in the news channels until my receiver tells me one of my listen to's is coming up. When I go to that channel it comes in, the song is censored, hence I stay to the news or start to drift off to; ..... :-\ the Weather channel!

Can't stand 21 or 22, too "regular". I'm in the 40's and 65-68. I just may be listening at the wrong times. I will admit, I spend alot of time in the news channels until my receiver tells me one of my listen to's is coming up. When I go to that channel it comes in, the song is censored, hence I stay to the news or start to drift off to; ..... :-\ the Weather channel!

67-68 are censored.
65-66 are not.

http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/channelpage.xmc?ch=66

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom