• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KZIZ 1560 seems to be MIA

Anyone else in the Seattle-Tacoma metro noticing an absence of KZIZ on 1560? Or did they go off the air and I didn't know about it?

Why does everyone count an AM dead as soon as it goes silent?

An STA was filed in early August and granted early in October:

AKAL MEDIA INC. ('AKAL') RESPECTFULLY REQUESTS SPECIAL TEMPORARY AUTHORITY FOR AM STATION KZIZ TO REMAIN SILENT. AKAL IS IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING KZIZ AND ITS EQUIPMENT TO A NEW LOCATION, AND THE MOVE IS ESTIMATED TO TAKE SEVERAL WEEKS. THE NEW PARAMETERS OF KZIZ WILL BE CONSTRUCTED PURSUANT TO THE CONSTRUCTION PERMIT GRANTED BY FILE NUMBER BMP-20201210AAB. A GRANT OF THIS REQUEST IS IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST AS IT WILL PERMIT AKAL TO COMPLETE THE MOVE OF KZIZ'S FACILITIES AND RETURN THE STATION TO OPERATIONS TO SERVICE THE PUBLIC INTEREST.

Why does everyone count an AM dead as soon as it goes silent?

An STA was filed in early August and granted early in October:

AKAL MEDIA INC. ('AKAL') RESPECTFULLY REQUESTS SPECIAL TEMPORARY AUTHORITY FOR AM STATION KZIZ TO REMAIN SILENT. AKAL IS IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING KZIZ AND ITS EQUIPMENT TO A NEW LOCATION, AND THE MOVE IS ESTIMATED TO TAKE SEVERAL WEEKS. THE NEW PARAMETERS OF KZIZ WILL BE CONSTRUCTED PURSUANT TO THE CONSTRUCTION PERMIT GRANTED BY FILE NUMBER BMP-20201210AAB. A GRANT OF THIS REQUEST IS IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST AS IT WILL PERMIT AKAL TO COMPLETE THE MOVE OF KZIZ'S FACILITIES AND RETURN THE STATION TO OPERATIONS TO SERVICE THE PUBLIC INTEREST.
When applying for a silent station STA, you need to provide a valid reason for the request. If you went down the line of silent AM stations, you would see a very long list of very similar requests/reasons. When it comes to especially AM stations, usually the owner/licensee can't afford to move the transmission facility let alone operate it, so they're looking for enough time to dump it. Since AM stations, especially at that end of the band have become worthless money pits, they remain silent until the one year STA expires. At that point the license is deleted.

Thanks for that info, SomeRadioGuy. I couldn't find anything on the FCC site except for the general info.

LittleBoyBlue: they serve the large South Asian population that live in SKC. I have no idea how big their OTA audience is, though. But the Indian / Pakistani / SriLankan population is their target demo.

I seem to recall that KZIZ (or maybe KKDZ) were looking for an FM translator, which would potentially boost their audience. Looks like that may not have happened.

I thought KZIZ had an FM translator already. But I doubt KZIZ gets a lot of listenership on that high AM frequency. If anything, 1250 gets some listeners, and many just listen to Bollywood/Punjabi music on Spotify or YouTube...

A lot of South Asian folks probably commute, so perhaps they listen to the South Asian OTA stations in their car. KKDZ has managed (so far) to survive the pandemic economy, so they must have enough of an audience to keep them afloat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom