• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KTLA goes "Retro" for 54 hours on Thanksgiving Weekend!

As part of their 60th Anniversary, KTLA is showing nothing but classic TV shows which were on the Ch. 5 schedule at one time or another from Friday 11/23 at 11pm until Monday 11/26 at 5am. The only break will be a shortened version of Prime News both Sat. and Sun. at 10pm. Check this out:

Late Night Friday 11/23:

11pm - Jack Benny Show
(2 episodes with Bob Hope and Lawerence Welk - both KTLA Alumni)

Midnight - The Honeymooners
("The $99,000 Question" and "The Golfer")

1am - Kung Fu
("The Well")

2am - Rawhide
("Incident of the Reluctant Bridegroom)

3am - The Big Valley
("Palms of Glory")

4am - Hopalong Cassidy (2 episodes)

5am - Bonanza
("The Legacy")

Saturday 11/24

6am- Little House on the Prairie
("A Harvest of Friends")

CLASSIC SATURDAY MORNING
------------------------------
7am - Lassie
7:30am - Timmy and Lassie
8am - Uncle Waldo (2 episodes)
9am - Underdog (2 episodes)
10am - POPEYE
11am - The Little Rascels

Noon - Gidget (w/Sally Field)
("Take A Lesson" and "Now There's A Face")

1pm - Charles In Charge
("Runaround Charles" and "Second Banana")

2pm - Doogie Howser M.D.
("A Stitch Called Wanda" and "Tough Guys Don't Teach")

3pm - Dr. Kildare
("Hand That Hurts, Hand That Heals")

4pm - Emergency
("Snakebite")

5pm - Highway Patrol (2 episodes)

6pm - CHiPS
("Battle of the Bands")

7pm - Dragnet (60's version)
("The Big Neighbor" and "The Bookie")

8pm - 21 Jump Street
("God Is A Bullet")

9pm - New Adventures of Wonder Woman
("Light-Fingered Lady")

10pm - Prime News

10:30 - Peter Gunn
("Let's Kill Timothy" and "Murder on the Midway")

11:30pm - I Spy
("Home to Judgement")

12:30am - Hunter
("Where's Echos End")

1:30am - Alfred Hitchcock Presents (3 Episodes)

3am - McHales Navy
("Six Pounds from Paradide" and "McHale the Desk Commando")

4am - F Troop
("Old Ironpants" and "The Day the Indians won")

5am - Mayberry R.F.D. and Andy Griffith

7am - The Munsters
("Herman the Rookie" and "Movie Star Munster")

8am - The Three Stooges

9am - The Monkees
("Monkee Vs. Machine" and "Art for Monkees Sake")

10am - Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
11am - Family Matters
Noon - What's Happening
1pm - Cheers
2pm - Friends
3pm - Laverne and Shirley
4pm - Happy Days
5pm - Please Don't Eat the Dasies
6pm - The Partridge Family
7pm - Father Knows Best
8pm - Brady Bunch
9pm - Leave It To Beaver

10pm Prime News

10:30 - Twilight Zone
("The After-Hours" and "Eye of the Beholder")

11:30pm - Lost In Space
("Visit to a Hostle Planet")

12:30am - Star Trek
("Space Seed")

1:30am - Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
("The Fear Makers")

2:30am - Tarzan
("Tarzan and the Tiger")

3:30am - Gilligan's Island

4:30am - Time for Beany

And there it all is. Enjoy!

That's one hell of a lineup!

It wouldn't be a bad idea for them to program the digital subchannel that formerly carried The Tube for classic programming, such as what they're airing that weekend.

RadioFanBoy said:
As part of their 60th Anniversary, KTLA is showing nothing but classic TV shows which were on the Ch. 5 schedule at one time or another from Friday 11/23 at 11pm until Monday 11/26 at 5am. The only break will be a shortened version of Prime News both Sat. and Sun. at 10pm.

Indeed, Channel 5 is really going all out to celebrate KTLA's 60th Anniversary. KTLA was the first TV station, west of the Rockies way back in 1947. Bob Hope was the first person on the air to sign on Channel 5 on that first day of operation. It's amazing how, later on, Gene Autry took that somewhat low budget VHF Indie in 1965 (that KTLA was at the time) and brought it to the great station that it now is. One of the best decisions that Mr. Autry did that same year was to hire (the now late) Hal Fishman, probably the greatest anchor in LA TV history. It just might a great idea for KTLA to put the classic programming on the second digital subchannel, as ShawnHill had mentioned earlier.. I would love to watch KTLA here in the east from time to time. I used to watch "Movies Till Dawn" and Dodgers Baseball on a regular basis on satellite. I just might go with Dish Network some time soon, once again. Happy 60th Birthday, KTLA!

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts

Retro marathon? Man, this writer's strike is hitting everybody hard...including the independents.

Peter Q. George (K1XRB) said:
RadioFanBoy said:
As part of their 60th Anniversary, KTLA is showing nothing but classic TV shows which were on the Ch. 5 schedule at one time or another from Friday 11/23 at 11pm until Monday 11/26 at 5am. The only break will be a shortened version of Prime News both Sat. and Sun. at 10pm.

Indeed, Channel 5 is really going all out to celebrate KTLA's 60th Anniversary. KTLA was the first TV station, west of the Rockies way back in 1947. Bob Hope was the first person on the air to sign on Channel 5 on that first day of operation. It's amazing how, later on, Gene Autry took that somewhat low budget VHF Indie in 1965 (that KTLA was at the time) and brought it to the great station that it now is. One of the best decisions that Mr. Autry did that same year was to hire (the now late) Hal Fishman, probably the greatest anchor in LA TV history. It just might a great idea for KTLA to put the classic programming on the second digital subchannel, as ShawnHill had mentioned earlier.. I would love to watch KTLA here in the east from time to time. I used to watch "Movies Till Dawn" and Dodgers Baseball on a regular basis on satellite. I just might go with Dish Network some time soon, once again. Happy 60th Birthday, KTLA!

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts

WOW--with the exception of say Doogie Howser,--KTLA has itself a DREAM of a line-up. Next year, 5's sister station WPIX in NYC hits the big 6-0. I doubt it, but maybe for Thanksgiving they can do something like that for the station's 60th birthday. Kind of makes me want to get Dish Network and the Superstations package, which features KTLA. Do you think they will also show some old ID's with the "5" logos they've used over the years?

If WPIX does something like this, expect Honeymooners, Jeffersons, maybe Barney Miller, Odd Couple to come on. But then again this would a year from now. I wish the west coast's first TV station, KTLA a very happy 60th birthday. This classic line-up sounds like one heck of a birthday gift to the viewers. Now if only mother nature will cooperate and not cause rumblings underneath the earth! Wish though they would air one of Bob Hope's "Road" movies; after all, he did sign-on KTLA.

I certainly would hope that as WEWS-TV 5 9n Cleveland approaches their 60th birthday (December 17, 2007) they might have something special planned..First TV station in Ohio

I surely hope they run many of the old KTLA IDs and bumpers.

I wonder, as they've had in years past, if they'll air a retrospective through the years? (E.G., KTLA At 45)

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this is better than what is on their current line-up. Hell, this is much better than what passes for Nick-At-Nite and TV Land.

All we really need to top it off would be a Twilight Zone Thanksgiving Day Marathon.

A question: Some of what they're planning to show is currently airing on KDOC; isn't there some kind of rule voiding two television stations airing the same show. It's my understanding KDOC is now considered to be apart of the L.A. market.

emailfailed said:
I surely hope they run many of the old KTLA IDs and bumpers.

I wonder, as they've had in years past, if they'll air a retrospective through the years? (E.G., KTLA At 45)

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this is better than what is on their current line-up. Hell, this is much better than what passes for Nick-At-Nite and TV Land.

All we really need to top it off would be a Twilight Zone Thanksgiving Day Marathon.

A question: Some of what they're planning to show is currently airing on KDOC; isn't there some kind of rule voiding two television stations airing the same show. It's my understanding KDOC is now considered to be apart of the L.A. market.

Yes, KDOC-TV, Channel 56 is now truly a part of the LA market with it's "Endless Classics" retro TV format. I truly enjoyed it while vacationing in Orange County last summer (a working vacation, mind you, at InfoComm/Anaheim). I'm sure that both KDOC and KTLA are on the same page with each other and are working together to allow KTLA to Celebrate it's 60th Birthday by getting a special waiver from the distributors and with KDOC's blessing to allow Channel 5 to run some vintage programming originally seen on KTLA over the years. I'm sure it's been done in other markets as well. It's not everyday a TV station can celebrate 60 years of continuous service to the community. That's my take on it. 73.

I wish they would of thrown in a Tom Hatten hosted Movie. (Family Film Festival). That would of been neat.

ShawnHill1 said:
That's one hell of a lineup!

It wouldn't be a bad idea for them to program the digital subchannel that formerly carried The Tube for classic programming, such as what they're airing that weekend.

Good, I was hoping that I was not the only one with that idea! :)

I'm glad the viewers of KTLA in Los Angeles, and those who can watch it via the
"Superstation" package on "Dish Network" are being treated to "TV Memory Lane",
it's sad that today's television is in the state they are, there was a time you can
watch a program and not get offended, and some of the shows they will air this
weekend may not get seen for a long time, so put them on DVD or TIVO it!
By the way, since Tribune is being sold, maybe the new owners should consider
doing a "Classic TV" cable network, it could give "TV Land" and "Retro TV" network
some competition!

It's worth a look to check out KTLA's Retro Schedule list http://ktla.trb.com/extras/ktla/marathon/showsatoz.html if only for the fact that they included all the original show opening themes. It was also a nice nod to include links to many of the fansites dedicated to that particular show.

I too wished they included a Sunday Family Movie with Tom Hatten. Did Tom used to draw Popeye cartoons back in the day or was that someone else? Anyway, I need a "Mad Monster Party" fix like they used to air every Halloween but this line-up is otherwise pretty sweet.

So far, they haven't aired any old KTLA station I.D.s.

This was my favorite KTLA ID (from 1977): http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8333/ktla772ro4.jpg

Isn't it great that....

We can watch the closing credits without them being shrunk so badly that you can't read them?

And since the same closing credits aren't being rushed by, we can read the cast list and see who played whom?

And that no voiceover is played over the closing theme, pressuring you to watch something you wouldn't watch anyway?

And that the dialogue is so well-written that you don't have to think about it, it just automatically absorbs into your mind?

Something was lost when TV stopped having cowboy heroes.

Finally, it would have been a clever touch to have Tom Hatten drawing "squiggles" once again during the Popeye cartoons. But, the retro weekend is sooo cool on it's own.

tothedj said:
it's sad that today's television is in the state they are, there was a time you can
doing a "Classic TV" cable network, it could give "TV Land" and "Retro TV" network
some competition!

Well, KTLA could easily do this. They have a digital channel that is totally empty except for an audio feed from their primary channel. A retro channel would be great and I think they would have little trouble selling it to advertisers.

db

dbdigital said:
tothedj said:
some competition!

Well, KTLA could easily do this. They have a digital channel that is totally empty except for an audio feed from their primary channel. A retro channel would be great and I think they would have little trouble selling it to advertisers.

db

Send them an email on this...I did!

I thought airing "Time For Beany" at the end of the Maathon was a nice touch..Because of DVR-Ing Gilligan's Island, I missed the first couple minutes of the first "Beany" episode at 7:30..managed to be up to get the rest..

I also DVR'ed certain shows..like "Uncle Waldo", Underdog, Highway Patrol, Father Knows Best, Gidget, The Monkees, Little, Rascals, Three Stooges, McHales Navy..

I was a bit disappointed that the "Retro" News only mentioned the same few stories KTLA covered..Fires, Earthquakes, The Rodney King Incident..Nothing much about sports coverage or weather..

The retro weekend was great. Perfection would be if they had used their old logos instead of the "KTLA 5CW" bug during the shows and at the top and bottom of the hour. Now that would've been cool!

ercjncpr said:
dbdigital said:
tothedj said:
some competition!

db

Send them an email on this...I did!

Sadly 50's, 60's TV shows don't sell. Look whats on TVLAND these days. I agree a retro channel would be great however. Gene Autry show & Bat Matterson are on ENCORE Western.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom