• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KSTB-Crystal Beach

The one thing that makes direct sales in some markets tougher now than before is the rise of franchises. A small market operator I know put it this way:
"If the only sandwich shop in town is a Subway and Subway makes the franchisee pay into a marketing fund for advertising and the marketing fund spends all that money in (the large media market 50 miles away), how will I ever see a dime of it?"

Funny thing, I was selling in a town of about 30,000 with a franchisee in town. He was kicking in his percentage but nothing was being spent locally. Instead this huge ADI meant the dollars were spent 150 miles away. When the franchisee realized this he was furious and told them he wasn't sending them another dime for the advertising fund. They threatened, he threatened and an agency called to place a buy on my station...a nice one for our little market and the schedule stayed for years.

My only other 'success' was meeting the new manager at a chain clothing store. We talked advertising and he said it was taken care of by an agency. The agency flat out said no dollars in a stand alone market, period. I reported back to this new manager. It seems he had recently been place in that store to 'turn it around'. The company held quarterly contests with a bonus given to the winning store in each district. When he realized he was competing with the stores in the major market that got all of the ad dollars he wasn't too happy. His supervisor even called me to ask if I'd talk to him in the future since his manager was so upset. About 90 minutes later we got an agency placed order and we stayed on the buy sheet.

I struck out more than I won, but when I won, it was one of those 'cut anybody but this station' from the buy list.

We weren't successful with Kinney Shoes that was pushing the line 'the right shoe' at the time. To make an impression with the buyer we shipped the media kit with a Kinney Shoes right foot shoe with a letter saying Kinney Shoes has the right shoe and our stations were the right fit in the market. I thought it was clever. The buyer didn't see it that way. When we followed up we got an earful of a verbal lashing with plenty of 4 letter words. Never got those guys on the air.

So yes, the franchise and national chain is a real negative for radio in smaller markets. Quite frankly the franchisee is a pretty good bet at winning some advertising but the company owned and operated store virtually never gets any advertising dollars. On the other hand Galvcomm will be a non-comm and the company owned and operated might toss some goodwill dollars out to maintain a good image in the community, likely centered around some school activity.

Galvcomm's website is currently streaming; says they need to raise $155,000 to rebuild KSTB.

Also says they want to put a LPFM on air and help the city install TIS stations on the island.

LPFM is limited to entities that hold no other FCC licensed facilities, granted they can own two translators. If they buy KSTB, there's no way they can get a LPFM.

Galvcomm's website is currently streaming; says they need to raise $155,000 to rebuild KSTB.

Also says they want to put a LPFM on air and help the city install TIS stations on the island.

By "LPFM" I suspect they really mean a translator for the 101.5 signal.

Good luck on raising the $@155k, they will need it.

As I understand it, the lpfm license will belong to the school district, and Galvcom will help them operate it and work out a way for the students to get some radio experience...a good idea since we lost the "overnight farm teams" method of teaching radio.

Forget Cumulus spending any money on it....I read there was supposed to be something going on with the Galveston group...but that was a while back and nothing since.....Haven't checked the FCC database to see if a renewal was filed...probably not if Cumulus refuses to spend any $$ on it...(which they have a problem doing a lot these days)

Last I saw on Facebook was that Galvcomm is essentially dead. The backing they were promised apparently didn't materialize.

Last edited:
Last I saw on Facebook was that Galvcomm is essentially dead. The backing they were promised apparently didn't materialize.

The Galvcomm website is still there, but appears it hasn't been updated in a long time. http://galvcomradio.org

Economic reality has probably killed the proposed station. There are reasons why Galveston no longer has locally produced stations, unfortunately.

The KVST business model used for the north side of the market would be with looking into; whether that would work in Galveston is highly debatable. There are also reasons the original "Star of the Bay" failed as well.

Here is something they could do that is cheaper than what they wanted to do is link together 4 to 6 part 15 am transmitters and antennas which would cost like 10 to 15 grand and cover most of the island.

Well, the FCC officially cancelled this station's license to cover. 101.5 KSTB Crystal Beach, Texas is now DKSTB

Should have been done several years ago. Cumulus obviously had no intention of rebuilding or relaunching the station (and is probably happy to be rid of it.) It was a non-viable signal after the downgrade, covering mostly nothing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom