• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KSHE

Since I'm not from the area, and besides KSHE being a longtime heritage rock station (which I'm fully aware of), I'm wondering what else propels them into the #1 6+ ratings spot? Great morning show? Great air talent throughout the day? Their classic rock playlist? Just wondering. Even though I've been familiar with their calls and some of their history for decades now, I've really only started listening to KSHE Klassics within the past month. I'm glad to see that when it comes to KSHE Klassics, they haven't forgotten their roots, as many heritage rock radio stations (even 93XRT) are no longer playing many of these songs. From the sound of it (pops, clicks & vinyl surface noise), someone has transferred much of the original vinyl collection into the automation system for these Klassics. Was KSHE always #1 in ratings throughout much of their history?

For me, it’s the depth of the playlist. They play 80s metal, along with prog rock of the 70s. They dig deep and also play 90s grunge. They have many different specialty shows both on the weekend and at certain times during the week. I know of no single classic rock station on a class c signal that will play Emerson Lake and Palmer, for example. The KSHE Klassics is amazing and seventh day, which includes full albums without interruption reminds you of the old AOR format that exist back in the day. I use to live in STL but still stream KSHE often.

For me, it’s the depth of the playlist. They play 80s metal, along with prog rock of the 70s. They dig deep and also play 90s grunge. They have many different specialty shows both on the weekend and at certain times during the week. I know of no single classic rock station on a class c signal that will play Emerson Lake and Palmer, for example. The KSHE Klassics is amazing and seventh day, which includes full albums without interruption reminds you of the old AOR format that exist back in the day. I use to live in STL but still stream KSHE often.
While somewhat true, KSHE has had a lot of times in its history when their playlist was stale, and they lived on their reputation more than they delivered. There were many years when KSHE and its classic rock competitor/neighbor KSD were indistinguishable with each station trying to play more Eagles favorites than the other. The station also didn't embrace new rock in the 1990s, which allowed KPNT/The Point to step in to do that job (before Emmis bought them in 2000).

I will give them credit for their longevity--they are likely the longest lasting AOR in the US, beating out other heritage stations as WNEW-FM, KLOS, KMET, and WLUP, and staying mostly true to their original format.

Another plus for them has been it's HD2 stream "KSHE-2," which has offered a much deeper playlist featuring many of the songs that gave the station its identity. Recently the HD2 began streaming online, and added voice tracked personalities. While I'd like to think that kind of programming will continue, past history with radio tells me otherwise. That's why I roll tape.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom