• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KSCO

John Rothman is going to be on KSCO 1080 tomorrow morning at 10 AM. And maybe Gene Burns too! Tune In! And maybe some other surprises too!

From KSCO.com:

A Special Message To KGO Listeners, from KSCO Owner Michael Zwerling

"The abrupt firing of some of the finest talent in the talk radio industry by the new clueless corporate suits at KGO last Friday is an indication of two things:

1) their total disregard, no, make that CONTEMPT for both the talent and the listeners who made that station so special, and
2) their INCREDIBLE, Darwin-award-qualifying stupidity.
KSCO extends invitations to all displaced KGO hosts to come to a station owned and operated by HUMANS with good hearts, good souls, and diverse personalities and perspectives-- not by cold corporate weasels and bean counters.

One of those hosts, Dr. Bill Wattenburg, has graciously accepted our invitation; let's see what the others will do.

Join us on the next KSCO Special for a stimulating discussion of this unprecedented talk radio drama, possibly with some of the players in attendance, this Saturday 10 AM to 12 Noon, right here on still proudly a voice for everyone radio AM 1080 KSCO."

It's too bad all the talent that was let go from KGO couldn't pool their funds together and buy a radio station and do things their way . AM 860 would have been a good daytime powerhouse and right next to the "old stomping grounds" (frequency wise)...I am just dreaming I guess.

You have to admit it love them or hate them we listened to them.

Are they on the net with streaming? Hope they have enough capacity. I noticed NBC/MSNBC is using more twitter/facebook stuff. KGO was weak in using the net and the like. Instead of dumping talk, they should have used more "new media" stuff to bring in a younger demo.

TheBigA said:
From KSCO.com:

A Special Message To KGO Listeners, from KSCO Owner Michael Zwerling

"The abrupt firing of some of the finest talent in the talk radio industry by the new clueless corporate suits at KGO last Friday is an indication of two things:

1) their total disregard, no, make that CONTEMPT for both the talent and the listeners who made that station so special, and
2) their INCREDIBLE, Darwin-award-qualifying stupidity.
KSCO extends invitations to all displaced KGO hosts to come to a station owned and operated by HUMANS with good hearts, good souls, and diverse personalities and perspectives-- not by cold corporate weasels and bean counters.

One of those hosts, Dr. Bill Wattenburg, has graciously accepted our invitation; let's see what the others will do.

Join us on the next KSCO Special for a stimulating discussion of this unprecedented talk radio drama, possibly with some of the players in attendance, this Saturday 10 AM to 12 Noon, right here on still proudly a voice for everyone radio AM 1080 KSCO."

A radio station that carries the vile and contemptible rantings of Rush Limbaugh when it doesn't have to CANNOT then claim to have a good heart or a good soul.

What would be nice to see is Michael Zwerling aquire the 860 signal and relay the 1080 signal there. He did say he is in talks with radio owners to make some kind of deal. I guess the former host's of KGO didn't want to be on with Michael this morning. So far only Jonnie Greggins was mentioned and she couldn't wait. And none of the others were on, he did talk to Michael Harrison owner of Talkers Magazine. The former hosts are maybe still feeling the sting of KGO's slap in the face or are they under some clause in their contracts to not talk about their terminations? In the second hour he had Rich Leiberman of 415 Media on with him.

raccoonradio said:
http://www.examiner.com/headlines-in-san-francisco/kgo-radio-format-change-listeners-contin

KSCO thinks they got an early Christmas present with the KGO changeover and a couple "Occupy
KGO" events are planned, facebook page out.

I'm still wondering how KSCO is going to work out the talkshow logistics. As I understand it, only Bill Wattenburg has a home studio. I doubt Gene Burns or any of the other hosts are going to travel 75 miles every weekday to do a radio show on a station with no money to pay them. It's a nice thought, but it doesn't appear to match reality.

A nice thought, yes. Practical? No. Does the station have the infrastructure to make it work? No. Does the station have the signal to be a heir to KGO in the bay area. From what I see of their coverage map, no not really. Day coverage in the South Bay looks alright, North Bay signal seems well into secondary coverage at best. Five KW nighttime power further degrades Bay Area coverage.

Michael Zwerling aquiring KTRB 860 or, even better, a group of investors headed by Luckoff and Swanson getting KTRB would be the best way to go as RadioStarOne points out to return to the KGO news/talk model. A full coverage Bay Area signal is the only way. KSCO just doesn't have the coverage to make it work.

This could give new life to the mess that is KTRB. If I recall correctly, getting the tower locations under control (if possible) has been a huge negative for KTRB.

Then there's the issue of finding investors ready to sink money into the dying AM medium.

It's a mountain to climb for anyone to persuade investment, due to KGO's demos in its news/talk twilight were fairly geriatric. No one will spend that level of cash to go after 50+ year olds.

At the end of the day, Zwerling deserves praise for being an independent operator and being a genuine fan of talk. KGO's hosts and format though are beyond his means. Some big guns need to get involved to make anything like that happen.

That said, I'd love to see a Luckoff/Swanson management/investor team take over KTRB. It'd be fascinating to see them try to build something successful one more time.

DavidKaye said:
raccoonradio said:
http://www.examiner.com/headlines-in-san-francisco/kgo-radio-format-change-listeners-contin

KSCO thinks they got an early Christmas present with the KGO changeover and a couple "Occupy
KGO" events are planned, facebook page out.

I'm still wondering how KSCO is going to work out the talkshow logistics. As I understand it, only Bill Wattenburg has a home studio. I doubt Gene Burns or any of the other hosts are going to travel 75 miles every weekday to do a radio show on a station with no money to pay them. It's a nice thought, but it doesn't appear to match reality.

I loved this quote from the article: "A caller suggested that KSCO drop the Rush Limbaugh show and air former KGO radio hosts in his place. The caller specifically mentioned attorney Len Tillem who had hosted a daily hour show on KGO radio at 1 p.m. as well as a weekend show. Zwerling said he talked with Tillem who said that KSCO would be the “last place” he would consider working. Zwerling said Tillem was an excellent radio personality and he couldn't figure out why he would so flatly turn down an opportunity to return to the radio."

Len has his law practice that is doing extremely well, he doesn't need to do radio at all. I like his internet show idea much more than a KSCO show. If the KGO bloodbath helps KSCO in the southbay ratings where KGO did very well, more power to them. I wish them well.

Tilem is up in the North Bay, so that Santa Rosa Station would work better. Knowledgeable nice guy, but too squeaky for me. Sounds like a Bowery Boys episode.

MC said:
Tilem is up in the North Bay, so that Santa Rosa Station would work better. Knowledgeable nice guy, but too squeaky for me. Sounds like a Bowery Boys episode.

He was on KSRO before KGO. Said he wasn't getting many calls.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom