• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KQWB-FM 98.7 aircheck from January, 1970

Here is the songlist from a January, 1970 aircheck from KQWB-FM 98.7. At this point they had not pivoted over to "Q98FM" and their rock heavy playlist, they were still a 70's free form FM station. This hour ran from 6:30 to 7:30 on a Sunday night in January, 1970 (unknown exact date). This is the song list by DJ "Brother Dave" (Dave Shannon):

Thank You- Sly and the Family Stone
Friendship Train- Gladys Knight and the Pips
The Times They Are A-chaingin’- Bob Dylan
Blowin’ Away- The 5th Dimension
Hold On- The Rascals
Feelin’ Alright- Traffic
Ferrante & Teicher- Midnight Cowboy
The Flying Burrito Brothers- Hippie Boy
John Mayall- Room To Move
The Jackson 5- One More Chance
Crosby, Stills and Nash- Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
Joe MacDonald (Country Joe and the Fish)- Bass Strings
Crow- Evil Woman
Jimi Hendrix- Hey Joe
Area Code 615-Ruby

As you can see it's a fairly wild (for Fargo) mix of rock, country rock and urban music with a mix of hits and deeper cuts. All of this music seems to be a year or year and a half old at the oldest as of the January, 1970 airing. Because you can learn something new everyday, I was unaware that Feelin' Alright was originally a song by Traffic and have never heard this version before. Also, Bass Strings was a controversial song about marajuana and LSD use by Country Joe and the Fish; an early evening airing of this song was somewhat unusual.

Here's the Soundcloud link:
KQWB-FM January 1970 part 1

It was known as Stereo 98 and ran Drake Chenault’s Hit Parade format at some point, one of my relatives made an aircheck of it at that time.
I wonder if that was the format at sign on? History Card shows it signing on in February of 1967 (from a Collins 830!) and owned by Midwest Radio. A couple of years of that and they could have gone freeform by late '69. I'd be surprised if they went to the Hit Parade format between the freeform format heard here and the rock heavy local "Q98FM" format. (Edit- it seems like Drake Chenault and the Hit Parade format didn't really get going until the 70's, so maybe it was an in-between format, or perhaps the early rock format after the free-form was Drake Chenault).

Last edited:
I wonder if that was the format at sign on? History Card shows it signing on in February of 1967 (from a Collins 830!) and owned by Midwest Radio. A couple of years of that and they could have gone freeform by late '69. I'd be surprised if they went to the Hit Parade format between the freeform format heard here and the rock heavy local "Q98FM" format. (Edit- it seems like Drake Chenault and the Hit Parade format didn't really get going until the 70's, so maybe it was an in-between format, or perhaps the early rock format after the free-form was Drake Chenault).
I'll have to ask my relative, I don't know when he started listening to it but the aircheck I have is from either before or after this one, I just don't remember the year. I have to get it retransferred and then I'll post the month and year, since from what I remember there was a news report as part of it.

Back
Top Bottom