• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KOMO 4 (not for) news

dominic

Inactive
Inactive User
Kudos to the 1000 coverage of the AK47 I-5 closure.

BOOO to no TV coverage on the big 4 TV. looks like KING and KIRO scooped the "first for news"

The best news coverage was KCPQ. They were all over the story from the beginning. It was great to see Bill Wixey with his spirits up and doing a fine job covering the story when it happened. Very good viewing for those of us who just happened to tune in at the right time. The other stations were much later in getting to the coverage.

If indeed what is presented here is true; that KOMO TV was late to the story yet KOMO radio was on it, I'm finding it difficult to understand how that could happen. Aren't the two newsrooms together in the same space? Don't they even share the same General Manager?

It seems to me that this would be a good example of how an operation like KOMO, may not be best utilizing the synergies of the dual news resources, to create a superior combined news operation.

Was watching mainly KIRO, but switched to KOMO, then KCPQ for a minute, saw Bill Wixey bald :O :O, and then KING. KING showed live video of the chase, not "traffic cams".

-crainbebo

Gotta agree that the KING / KONG / NWCN coverage stayed on it, while channel 13 was late and seemed more confused by just showing DOT cams. Glad neither was a frantic as the stereotypical Los Angeles car chase helicopter coverage. Seems most radio was automated and useless in this. Too bad, since thousands of motorists could have used some help.

Would like to see the local newscasters willing to challenge the authorities when they leave hundreds of people sitting on the freeway with no information about what is happening, and without apparently dedicating a few officers to tell the sitting ducks what was going on, and to direct the traffic out of there. A couple of the newscasters raised this issue, but it seems to have died once they caught the culprits.

Come to think of it, a lot of local traffic jams, like the two hour Sunday afternoon parade of cars on US2 from Stevens Pass back to Everett, would be solved it a cop or two would actually direct congested traffic thru mistimed red lights and small town stop signs when it's backing up traffic for miles. But speaking up in a culture that promotes "go along to get along" and "it's not my department" is yet another topic, and I suspect some radio exec will actually think it's good for time spent listening to let the gridlock continue unabated!

The KING TV newsroom does do the best job of coverage in this market, in my opinion, with a bit less hype and a little more substance than the others. Just don't know why they have to have the rotating logo in the lower right corner now. It gets in the way and looks like too many tattoos on a biker's forearm, if you ask me! Copying CNN's busy screen? I doubt that buys you anything anymore.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom