• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KOLA a huge success

Yep they are almost at a double shares 9.2 for the month of September and early October. I'm highly surprised 😯😯 they are doing that well. I still think KRTH should copy them and add faith hill and Shania Twain. Can't hurt to try. Just my thought.

Yep they are almost at a double shares 9.2 for the month of September and early October. I'm highly surprised 😯😯 they are doing that well. I still think KRTH should copy them and add faith hill and Shania Twain. Can't hurt to try. Just my thought.
Separate markets with different ethnic compositions, a different competitive array that they sell against and only two stations in its "cluster" that they can sell together.

Riverside/San Bernardino is now over 55% Hispanic. It is market #26 nationally, but is barely 50th in revenue.

No offense, James, but this is the kinda stuff that kills me.

KRTH is number two in Los Angeles with a 5.2. The number one station (KOST) has a 5.7. Outside of Holiday books, this is about as good as numbers get in L.A.

But it "couldn't hurt to try" playing Faith and Shania?

It could ABSOLUTELY hurt. What I can't see is how it could possibly help, given the demographics of Los Angeles.

Back when Shania & Faith were currents, the #1 station in SB/R was KFRG. Usually by double digits. The people out there know who Faith & Shania are. Not so in LA. KZLA was typically a 2 share station, and that's about what KKGO gets now.

And yes I know Faith & Shania crossed over and charted pop, but really didn't impact in recurrent the way other pop songs did.

Back when Shania & Faith were currents, the #1 station in SB/R was KFRG. Usually by double digits. The people out there know who Faith & Shania are. Not so in LA. KZLA was typically a 2 share station, and that's about what KKGO gets now.

And yes I know Faith & Shania crossed over and charted pop, but really didn't impact in recurrent the way other pop songs did.
I see thanks. BigA

Sorry Michael just my opinion
And a totally valid opinion. KRTH should try those songs, might as well since they've expanded into the new millenium. If they test bad, then obviously they will dump them. Nothing wrong with adding a "country-pop" feel. I mean, it wasnt "that long ago", we heard Dolly Parton and Glen Campbell on there over a weekend. But yeah, doesn't hurt to at least try. Btw, Shania Twain's late 90's smash "That Don't Impress Me Much" would sound great on K-Earth.

It's 50 th In market but that does not tell me much. Dollars please 5 million? 2 million?
About 8 million. It takes nearly 20% of the total Inland Empire revenue. But that is in a market that bills less than 8% of what the LA market bills.

And the Inland Empire is market 26 in population, but 45th in revenue.

And a totally valid opinion. KRTH should try those songs, might as well since they've expanded into the new millenium. If they test bad, then obviously they will dump them. Nothing wrong with adding a "country-pop" feel. I mean, it wasnt "that long ago", we heard Dolly Parton and Glen Campbell on there over a weekend. But yeah, doesn't hurt to at least try. Btw, Shania Twain's late 90's smash "That Don't Impress Me Much" would sound great on K-Earth.
There is a difference between “test” and “play”.

If you’re saying there’s no harm in testing the songs, that’s one thing. Playing them blind is another.

And back then, the market was less than a third Hispanic. Now it is over 50%. Changing demos.

You continuously forget that LA is now less than 25% non ethnic/first generation immigrants. Neither the Latin American first generation immigrants, nor those from Asia, Iran, Armenia or elsewhere would be familiar with those artists and would not have heard them in LA where the country station barely got a 2 share.

I'm sure that, over the years, a lot of those songs were tested by KRTH and if they don't play them there is a reason.

And a totally valid opinion. KRTH should try those songs, might as well since they've expanded into the new millenium. If they test bad, then obviously they will dump them.
You have it backwards. Stations test songs, and if they pass, they add them. They don't add them and then test.
Nothing wrong with adding a "country-pop" feel.
In LA there is everything wrong.
I mean, it wasnt "that long ago", we heard Dolly Parton and Glen Campbell on there over a weekend.
And when those were hits LA was not even 20% Hispanic. In 25-54, it is now over 50% Hispanic, and most are first or second generation who never would have heard those artists.
But yeah, doesn't hurt to at least try.
They very probably have already tested those songs and others and found they don't pass. There is a reason for every song they don't play.
Btw, Shania Twain's late 90's smash "That Don't Impress Me Much" would sound great on K-Earth.
Why would that be at all familiar in LA? (It wouldn't)

Plenty wrong.

I do alot of things up here you'd never do on air before testing them off air with the audience... if what i do bombs, i yank it and fix it.

in LA, you dont get that chance, because as PD, you might get fired and you lose audience that wont come back.

when audience means big $$ you dont f&^q around and find out, you test off air first

Plenty wrong.

I do alot of things up here you'd never do on air before testing them off air with the audience... if what i do bombs, i yank it and fix it.

in LA, you dont get that chance, because as PD, you might get fired and you lose audience that wont come back.

when audience means big $$ you dont f&^q around and find out, you test off air first
Just ask the PD of Kroq Mike Kaplan oh that's right he isn't there anymore. The TikTok pop didn't go over well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom