• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KNEW losing to KSTE.

They must regret their stupid move to drop Savage , the latest San Fran ratings out today has Sacramento's KSTE at 0.5 vs 0.4 for San Frans KNEW! Savage fans in San Fran listen to Savage on KSTE.

When you get to that small of a percentage, one or two PPM wearers can make a big difference. Don't get me wrong. KNEW is doing terribly and I'm not trying to make excuses for CC. But the cume for KSTE is really low, indicating that it could easily be just one panelist who listens a lot. I remember a couple of years back when KUIC showed up as #1 overnight in the entire Bay Area.

You can sure tell when the Giants started playing baseball. I also see KUZX is blank so that KUFX jump must be combined.

Dave B.

DaveBayArea said:
When you get to that small of a percentage, one or two PPM wearers can make a big difference. Don't get me wrong. KNEW is doing terribly and I'm not trying to make excuses for CC. But the cume for KSTE is really low, indicating that it could easily be just one panelist who listens a lot. I remember a couple of years back when KUIC showed up as #1 overnight in the entire Bay Area.

You can sure tell when the Giants started playing baseball. I also see KUZX is blank so that KUFX jump must be combined.

Dave B.

You're missing the point. KNEW is San Francisco radio, KSTE is Sacramento radio. KNEW was a loser even when they were a small of a percentage above KSTE, since KSTE is an Out-of-Town station.

It should be noted that KNEW has dropped to half what they had in 6+ boxcar numbers before Savage was offed, and they made other show changes. They had a 1 to 1.1 in the 6+ PPM previously, and twice the cume KSTE had in the SF numbers.

scott5 said:
You're missing the point. KNEW is San Francisco radio, KSTE is Sacramento radio. KNEW was a loser even when they were a small of a percentage above KSTE, since KSTE is an Out-of-Town station.

In the winter months is sunset in northern CA early enough for any part of Savage's show to air after sunset? If so, KSTE's night signal in the Bay Area won't be good enough for the station to capture any kind of audience after dark except for hard-core AM geeks. KSTE is 70 miles from SF and runs 920W at night with a pattern that throws a signal minimum toward SF and Oakland. During the daytime, it's a different story--LOTS more power and a different pattern.

DaveBayArea said:

Dave B.

How did KUIC end up as 1# in the Bay Area, San Jose's 95.3 FM is Country. and 2 Solano County is the only place where KUIC is strong. Yes KUIC has a .5 to 1.9 ratings mainly because KUIC focused on a tiny audience like KDFC is today compared to KOIT or KUFX or KCBS where they have to get the entire Bay Area.

That 920 watts carries a long, long way into the Bay Area at night from it's Rancho Cordova site. My former home in the East Bay, 100 miles away received a steady night signal with a C. Crane radio and almost equally as good on the radio in my Chevy Tahoe. The signal is stable while traveling the freeways. Been a long time since I had seen AM radio perform this well and frankly it's quite refreshing. Makes me miss the former 1420 KSTN Stockton with it's quirky playlist of tunes from the 50's to the 80's from doo-wop to heavy metal. Also had a decent night signal as well. My hat is off to any owner willing to try something different to keep AM radio relevant.

But in keeping with the topic at hand - pulling Michael Savage from the afternoon lineup on KNEW was a bonehead move; no question about it!

DanStrassberg said:
scott5 said:

In the winter months is sunset in northern CA early enough for any part of Savage's show to air after sunset? If so, KSTE's night signal in the Bay Area won't be good enough for the station to capture any kind of audience after dark except for hard-core AM geeks. KSTE is 70 miles from SF and runs 920W at night with a pattern that throws a signal minimum toward SF and Oakland. During the daytime, it's a different story--LOTS more power and a different pattern.

recto101 said:
How did KUIC end up as 1# in the Bay Area,

That was an example to point out what I mean about low numbers in PPM. It was #1 overnight. But the cume was still very low. Let's say you have one PPM wearer that works a night shift at Travis Air Force Base, where they have the radio on KUIC all night. Plus one more that works overnights at a Shell station in Fairfield, where they also have KUIC playing on a radio. Just those two would easily be enough to skew the ratings for the entire Bay Area.

Likewise, one or two people in Concord who listen to KSTE regularly and just happen to be PPM panelists could be skewing these ratings. Or it could be a few people who live in the Bay Area but regularly commute to SAC and listen to KSTE in their car. If people from the Bay Area were really listening to Savage in his timeslot in large numbers, that should mean that more PPM panelists are tuning in at that time. The quarter-hour listening wouldn't be that high, because only the time during Savage's show would count. But the cume would be high because many people were tuning in. That isn't the case.

Dave B.

DaveBayArea said:
Likewise, one or two people in Concord who listen to KSTE regularly and just happen to be PPM panelists could be skewing these ratings.

The other option, of course, is to rely on diaries where listeners report non-existent stations and DJs who have since moved on. PPM may be flaky, but it's more accurate than diaries.

I don't think anything will become truly accurate until everybody has a radio that reports back listening. By then AM and FM will be irrelevant and it'll all be streaming anyway...

Mediaace said:
That 920 watts carries a long, long way into the Bay Area at night from it's Rancho Cordova site.
scott5 said:

The signal that KSTE sends toward KNEW at night is the equivalent of 250W ND. In KSTE's favor is the fact that there aren't many co-channel stations in the US or Canada. Mexico is a different story, however.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom