• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KNBR to cut nightly sports call-in show after 51 years

It doesn't matter really. Just like radio or TV, investment banking or stock picking is a limited industry in scope. It not like if you get RIF'ed you will find something just down the street. His comment that investment bankers or Wall Street analysts are somehow immune to cuts just isn't reality.
It depends on your field. If you specialize in stock analysis/picking, etc., of course. But if you're in a support function such as finance or IT, there are more avenues open to you. In my IT career, I worked for a state university, a manufacturing/retail company, a consultancy, two retailers, one of the nation's largest brokerages, an S&P 500 tech company, and two utilities. The only layoff was at one of the utilities, ironically enough. Skills readily transferred and it was always enlightening to learn a new line of business.

It depends on your field. If you specialize in stock analysis/picking, etc., of course. But if you're in a support function such as finance or IT, there are more avenues open to you. In my IT career, I worked for a state university, a manufacturing/retail company, a consultancy, two retailers, one of the nation's largest brokerages, an S&P 500 tech company, and two utilities. The only layoff was at one of the utilities, ironically enough. Skills readily transferred and it was always enlightening to learn a new line of business.
Sure, good accountants are in high demand. That isn't what CTListener was talking about. He contended that in this example, a longtime radio program gets the ax, while Wall St 'fat cats' are immune from the same sort of cuts.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post this link here, so I'm sure the moderator will take it down if need be. The above link is to a YouTube video made by a man named Damon Bruce who I take it once worked at the station. Here he shares his musings and observations about the situation.

The above link is to a YouTube video made by a man named Damon Bruce who I take it once worked at the station. Here he shares his musings and observations about the situation.

I've heard it all before. Disgruntled former employees. He completely ignores the fact that adverting revenue has been down, and rights fees for sports teams have been going up. Just looking at the math, you can see how they lose money. Everyone expects a raise every now and then. Insurance is going up. And as I said, revenues are down. He says an accountant decided who got fired. Thats not usually how it happens. The market manager gets a number to hit, and he decides how to make that number. He can increase revenue somehow, or he can cut costs. But it's up to the market manager. You can see the ratings as reported earlier in the thread. If the talent is losing to The Game, then maybe its time for a change.

Cumulus San Francisco really only has one station making money: KNBR. KSAN is treading water. The four AMs are all dead weight. Cumulus would love to sell the cluster, but nobody would want the other five stations. So this is where they are. Everything was great when the Giants were winning. These last two years haven't been so great. The teams don't cut the rights fee when they lose, but audience and revenues go down. How do they make up for the loss? This is how.

I've heard it all before. Disgruntled former employees. He completely ignores the fact that adverting revenue has been down, and rights fees for sports teams have been going up. Just looking at the math, you can see how they lose money. Everyone expects a raise every now and then. Insurance is going up. And as I said, revenues are down. He says an accountant decided who got fired. Thats not usually how it happens. The market manager gets a number to hit, and he decides how to make that number. He can increase revenue somehow, or he can cut costs. But it's up to the market manager. You can see the ratings as reported earlier in the thread. If the talent is losing to The Game, then maybe its time for a change.

Cumulus San Francisco really only has one station making money: KNBR. KSAN is treading water. The four AMs are all dead weight. Cumulus would love to sell the cluster, but nobody would want the other five stations. So this is where they are. Everything was great when the Giants were winning. These last two years haven't been so great. The teams don't cut the rights fee when they lose, but audience and revenues go down. How do they make up for the loss? This is how.
True and also Cumulus is preparing for the time when Oakland A's leaves for Las Vegas. Bay Area Sports/talk radio especially has to deal with two hits like Raiders leaving for Las Vegas and now the A's too. That has to take a huge hit on ratings and revenue on all of the Bay Area Sports/talk stations.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post this link here, so I'm sure the moderator will take it down if need be. The above link is to a YouTube video made by a man named Damon Bruce who I take it once worked at the station. Here he shares his musings and observations about the situation.
Links to topical things are perfectly OK. The only restriction we have in that area is to posting entire articles in violation of copyright.

Listened to the Damon Bruce rant. Question, if KNBR was locally owned (vs. Cumulus) would their financial situation and overall business model have been more successful? Or, is ownership irrelevant in this age of declining radio ad. revenue.

Listened to the Damon Bruce rant. Question, if KNBR was locally owned (vs. Cumulus) would their financial situation and overall business model have been more successful? Or, is ownership irrelevant in this age of declining radio ad. revenue.
Local stand alone ownership is not an advantage today, particularly in national sales that is often done in packages of multiple stations in a market and multiple markets nationally.

If a local station is not part of a cluster, then you can't sell a package of multiple stations, you also have a disadvantage locally and nationally.

A few local accounts may give "extra points" to a known local owner, but that is not going to mean much, particularly in the larger markets.

If a local station is not part of a cluster, then you can't sell a package of multiple stations, you also have a disadvantage locally and nationally.

The problem with Cumulus is their SF cluster is so bad, they can't sell a package of multiple stations. All anyone wants to buy is KNBR. They had the same problem when they owned clusters in LA and NY. They are at a sales disadvantage with everyone else.

But getting back to the rant, Damon Bruce was fired by both Cumulus and Audacy. The problem isn't ownership. It's Damon Bruce. Especially when you read why he was fired when he was at KNBR. He complained about female sportscasters. He believes they're unqualified. Not a popular opinion in SF.

The problem with Cumulus is their SF cluster is so bad, they can't sell a package of multiple stations. All anyone wants to buy is KNBR. They had the same problem when they owned clusters in LA and NY. They are at a sales disadvantage with everyone else.

But getting back to the rant, Damon Bruce was fired by both Cumulus and Audacy. The problem isn't ownership. It's Damon Bruce. Especially when you read why he was fired when he was at KNBR. He complained about female sportscasters. He believes they're unqualified. Not a popular opinion in SF.
True too. Also Cumulus is right to make the cuts now instead of waiting for the day the A's play in Las Vegas that had to be a factor here too. KNBR cannot hold on to local talk for long given where we are going here when two major sports teams left Oakland for Las Vegas over stadium deals.

Here are the sports/talk stations in the Las Vegas area that are likely to be candidates to get A's baseball broadcast rights once the baseball season starts.

That's part of his "brand" - you know, the Terrible Swift Sword Who Tells It Like It Is Standing Up to The Man. It's the talk-radio equivalent of the Cult of the Deejay, where the common characteristic is someone thinking they're bigger than the station they're on and that things will fall apart once they're gone. Pro tip: Après moi, le déluge doesn't apply to the media.

True too. Also Cumulus is right to make the cuts now instead of waiting for the day the A's play in Las Vegas that had to be a factor here too. KNBR cannot hold on to local talk for long given where we are going here when two major sports teams left Oakland for Las Vegas over stadium deals.

Here are the sports/talk stations in the Las Vegas area that are likely to be candidates to get A's baseball broadcast rights once the baseball season starts.

The A's and Raiders have not been relevant at KNBR in years. Those teams never get mention on any of the talk shows. KNBR, having a small ownership in the Giants, treats the A's like they're in some far away market. The A's moving (and recent Raiders move) has zero to do with Cumulus' cost-cutting decision.

If they listen to their station, they know the changes in the advertising situation. We're in the 4th quarter, and it used to be when stations made their money with all the retail advertising. Now, most of retail has disappeared. We used to get lots of Sears and Penney's ads this time of year. Now they're bankrupt.
Sears and Penny's have been replaced by Kohl's and Macy's. Add Target, Walmart, Lowe's and Home Depot to the mix. All of them spend as much on Radio as they do on TV
They can also see what's happening in the RSN business. These are companies paying huge rights fees to teams, broadcasting games with huge costs, that receive small and aging audiences. It's a bad place to be right now. So they may not have known the specifics of who was being let go, but they had to see how bad they're doing. The ratings came out, it confirmed what people knew, and the company had to take action. As I said, the company will be paying severance to these people for a while, so they won't be left out in the cold at Christmas. The law requires them to also receive healthcare for at least a year. It sounds like some of them qualify for Medicare.

Damon comes across as a jerk. (Maybe he's a jerk in real life too, but having never met him, I can only go by what I've heard of him on air.) Yes, he was fired by Cumulus, and that was on their tertiary sports station, KTCT-AM. I think he started out on the mother ship, KNBR, but if I'm right he was quickly sidelined to the lesser station, then eventually let go. Audacy picked him up for KGMZ "The Game", had him on in PM Drive, and they finally had their fill of him too. So unless one of the RSN's is desperate for talent, he's toast in the SFBA market.

Back
Top Bottom