• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KMXP

Take our two country stations. One day I was flipping between the two, and actually forgot which one I was listening to. They sound almost identical.

And how are they each doing in the ratings? How long has it been that way? What caused it to happen?

What time of day were you listening? That makes a difference. Holmberg does well in mornings. He's a morning guy. That's what's missing at KMLE. The well-researched music doesn't matter if they're losing in morning drive.

You're looking for one rule. There is no one rule. Programming in radio is whack a mole. You can control the music mix. You can't control the morning guy. You want radio that's not boring? You want radio with "Oh wow" songs? KOAI. How are they doing? Is that what you want?

Trying to find ultra-niche formats does not ring the cash register for clients. And today, few stations are dealing with positive cash flow. This is not a moment where innovation may step in like The Lone Ranger... with or without a horse and a sidekick named "Stupid" .

You're still stuck on this bizarre notion that there's only two types of stations: Mass appeal or ultra-niche, and that there is and can be nothing in between.

What I'm suggesting is this apparently radical idea that you can be mass appeal AND innovative AND entertaining.

Speaking of Seacrest, Bones, and other syndicated hosts...why are they successful? Is it because they're simply cheaper and easier than developing a local morning or afternoon show? That's probably a big part of it for iHeart, but at the end of the day they also provide entertaining and compelling content. If the shows were not good, it wouldn't matter how much of a bargain they were.

We know that we have ads. Some people won't listen for that reason. Nothing we can do there.
Of course you can't get rid of ads, but you could try making the content compelling enough for listeners to stay through the ads. "Coming up next, it's Guadalupe Squares with Frank Caliendo."

Or you could just throw up your arms and say "nothing we can do there."

Then of course there's the long-established (or long forgotten?) fact that a compelling, entertaining, and popular local host can "ring the cash register" for advertisers.

But hey, you've got more experience and expertise than me, so let's try a thought experiment. You have just been hired by a company that swooped in and bought up some signals in the market. Not rimshots, either. Maybe they threw a bunch of money at Bonneville or Hubbard. Anyway, they came to you and said "David, we want you to program our stations, and we want one of them to compete with Mix." You don't have an unlimited budget. You don't have the research and resources of iHeart, but you have your marching orders.

What do you do?

And how are they each doing in the ratings? How long has it been that way? What caused it to happen?

What time of day were you listening? That makes a difference. Holmberg does well in mornings. He's a morning guy. That's what's missing at KMLE. The well-researched music doesn't matter if they're losing in morning drive.

You're looking for one rule. There is no one rule. Programming in radio is whack a mole. You can control the music mix. You can't control the morning guy. You want radio that's not boring? You want radio with "Oh wow" songs? KOAI. How are they doing? Is that what you want?

Yes, I want radio that's not boring. Not just for my personal preferences, but I have this crazy idea that entertaining, compelling content would actually be good for radio as a business.

It is my contention that Holmberg does well in mornings (both in ratings and revenue) because he provides entertaining and compelling content. Not only that, but he's been around for awhile and has established a solid brand and a market position. I don't know what Hubbard charges for rates on his show, but I'm sure the revenue has been pretty healthy over the years.

As far as our two country stations, I've already stated the problem - they sound the same - and it seems to me they're both taking the same path to try and get to the top of the hill. That was not always been the case.

For a long time, KNIX was king. KMLE came at them by being different. In fact, the programming philosophy at KMLE was (for quite some time) that they were a Top 40 station that just happened to play country music. KNIX was your dad's country station. KMLE was yours. If KNIX zigged, KMLE zagged.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on there over at the 840, but it seems like they've lost the narrative of KMLE. Right now KNIX has a morning show built on two hosts from the 90s. Tim from Tim & Willy and Ben from Ben & Brian. That should be an easy target, but for some reason KMLE has been through several morning shows over the past few years. Maybe it's a failure of management? I mean, if a program director keeps throwing things at the wall and they don't stick, perhaps it's time to look for a new program director.

You're still stuck on this bizarre notion that there's only two types of stations: Mass appeal or ultra-niche, and that there is and can be nothing in between.

No, there are tiers. The FMs with full market signals can fall, usually, in the top tier. Even if they are not in the top 5 or 6, they make money. And if they are part of a cluster, the synergy of packaging multiple stations that meet a client's needs is powerful.

Then come the rimshots and other limited signal FMs (such as Class A's in a geographically large market). They can find something to own that the big signals would not find a good ROI on. There are plenty of good local clients, under normal conditions, to make "bottom feeders" quite profitable if run economically.

Then there are the AMs. In the top 100 markets there are less than 170 of them that cover 80% or more of the market day and night. The rest are either relegated to brokered programming, paid religion, hourly time sales or very niche ethnic opportunities... such as Farsi in LA. And at the bottom of that are AM daytimers and the old Class IV stations.

With market revenues off about 40% since 2005 (give or take a percent or two depending on the market) and where that 40% is really about 60% in inflation-adjusted dollars, the lower tier stations have a really hard time. The major stations are not paying costs right now, as the reduction in revenue is greater than their operating margins, even after cutting staff.

My main point is that the "appeal" of a station that matters is advertiser appeal.

What I'm suggesting is this apparently radical idea that you can be mass appeal AND innovative AND entertaining.

OK, name me the programmers who have created brand new formats in the last 70 years since network radio went on its death spiral. Or companies that originated such formats in a collective effort.

An example would be Frank Cody and Owen Leach's "New Adult Contemporary" at The Wave in LA. Different enough from old-line real jazz stations, it lasted the better part of two decades.

Speaking of Seacrest, Bones, and other syndicated hosts...why are they successful? Is it because they're simply cheaper and easier than developing a local morning or afternoon show? That's probably a big part of it for iHeart, but at the end of the day they also provide entertaining and compelling content. If the shows were not good, it wouldn't matter how much of a bargain they were.

John Lund was at the forefront of developing today's AC format at WGAR in Cleveland where he discarded old-line MOR and played adult-friendly Top 40 with lots of gold. That is another example.

Or Frankie Crocker's whose work at WBLS spawned Urban AC, a distinct new format that has been very successful.

How many more are there? The originators of truly distinct and original format are very few.

Or you could just throw up your arms and say "nothing we can do there."

Right now, there is nothing that can be done due to the Coronavirus. There is just no funding, nobody wants to move to a new market for a new opportunity, and there are limited promotional opportunities. Even in music, there are fewer hits in some categories due to slow-downs in production, recording and promotion.

Then of course there's the long-established (or long forgotten?) fact that a compelling, entertaining, and popular local host can "ring the cash register" for advertisers.

That is changing. Much of the content for local hosts is a day old by the time 6 AM rolls around. The news was on the web yesterday, traffic is on an app and so are news and weather. That's why Bones and Seacrest are taking over market after market: they have access to exclusive content that a local jock does not.

But hey, you've got more experience and expertise than me, so let's try a thought experiment. You have just been hired by a company that swooped in and bought up some signals in the market. Not rimshots, either. Maybe they threw a bunch of money at Bonneville or Hubbard. Anyway, they came to you and said "David, we want you to program our stations, and we want one of them to compete with Mix." You don't have an unlimited budget. You don't have the research and resources of iHeart, but you have your marching orders.

Without a budget and research, I would not take the job.

Before my first music test in the 70's, I scored my Hot AC playlist at the #1 18-49 women station in my market. When the test was done, I was more than 20% off on more than half the songs. I had several other program staff members do the same, and they were as off as I was. We could not see the forest. So I don't do playlists without finding out what listeners want. Period.

And if one station is taking on an established one, I need to identify weaknesses. Not my perception of weaknesses... listener perceptions. Yes, there are ways to do research on a budget, but it has to be done.

In one case, I took on a station that was the last of 15 FMs in what is today a top 20 market. It was astonishingly last, even though it had a format that another station was #1 doing. We had little billing, so no professional research. We enlisted a bunch of friends who liked the kind of music we played. We played songs, and everyone did thumb up, thumb down or thumb flat. From a playlist of over 800 songs, we cut way more than half. From over 60 currents we went to 20. We structured the clocks, worked with the existing talent, sometimes painfully. Next book: #1. Next 22 years: #1, usually with double the audience of the #2 station.

What do you do?

There are ways to be creative with a small budget. But radio is one-to-many, so you have to find a consensus and be faithful to it. That may not be exciting all the time, but it gives predictable expectations to listeners.

Last edited:
OK, name me the programmers who have created brand new formats in the last 70 years since network radio went on its death spiral. Or companies that originated such formats in a collective effort.

Again, I'm not saying "create a brand new format." I'm saying "take a mainstream, mass appeal format and make it not boring."

Without a budget and research, I would not take the job.

To be clear, I didn't say "no budget, no research." Just not quite the budget or depth of iHeart.

And if one station is taking on an established one, I need to identify weaknesses. Not my perception of weaknesses... listener perceptions. Yes, there are ways to do research on a budget, but it has to be done.

And one more time with feeling...not saying no research. Which brings us to this very interesting story:

In one case, I took on a station that was the last of 15 FMs in what is today a top 20 market. It was astonishingly last, even though it had a format that another station was #1 doing. We had little billing, so no professional research. We enlisted a bunch of friends who liked the kind of music we played. We played songs, and everyone did thumb up, thumb down or thumb flat. From a playlist of over 800 songs, we cut way more than half. From over 60 currents we went to 20. We structured the clocks, worked with the existing talent, sometimes painfully. Next book: #1. Next 22 years: #1, usually with double the audience of the #2 station.

No professional research, you say? Hmm...

So you didn't change the format of the station or try to invent a new one, but instead pared down a bloated playlist on at least a bit of gut feeling, massaged the clocks without the sort of data that's available nowadays, worked with the talent, and probably changed the presentation of the station (marketing, imaging, etc.) significantly. It worked spectacularly.

That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. That's innovation.

Unfortunately, that's not happening in radio now. Or at least, I'm not seeing it happen. While all of these other choices for content are stripping away our audience, programmers are saying 'well if we move the stop set a minute or two one way or another, we might be able to squeeze out another half a point in the next weekly, and if we can do that, we're golden."

Forest for the trees, and what not.

No professional research, you say? Hmm...

Yes, there was no outside research. I had created the station that, at the time, was #1, which had been well researched and very tight but was getting lazy. I never saw a mass appeal station that won by having a larger playlist than a direct competitor, so I knew we had to cut the crap... and a lot of our way-out-of-the-format songs. But I did not know which ones. What we called "creole research" gave us guidance.

The competitor had not done testing in the 5 years since I had left. So we knew they were lame. The idea was to avoid weak songs at all costs and call the other station out on it. Underdogs can bite the leg of the leader. It does not hurt to acknowledge a strong competitor if the goal is to weaken their perception.

So you didn't change the format of the station or try to invent a new one, but instead pared down a bloated playlist on at least a bit of gut feeling, massaged the clocks without the sort of data that's available nowadays, worked with the talent, and probably changed the presentation of the station (marketing, imaging, etc.) significantly. It worked spectacularly.

My gut feeling was that we were playing 500 songs too many. I got fans of the format to tell me which ones were stiffs. We tightened the imaging, but did no marketing. In fact, in 22 years at #1 we did no marketing. We did no major contest, either.

That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. That's innovation.

No, it was house cleaning. We had the right format, just the wrong songs. We were up against the station that created the format (all-salsa) which had been #1 from the week I put it on the air. The way to win was to have the best music. Shorter interruptions, tighter imaging. They were getting sloppy but we just played one hit after another.

Unfortunately, that's not happening in radio now. Or at least, I'm not seeing it happen. While all of these other choices for content are stripping away our audience, programmers are saying 'well if we move the stop set a minute or two one way or another, we might be able to squeeze out another half a point in the next weekly, and if we can do that, we're golden."

We learned how to deal with PPM about 11 years ago. Some of us learned during the Philly tests and then the Houston ones nearly two decades back.

And in the "other 200" markets that don't have PPM, we learned the techniques about 50 years ago.

Oh, and I don't know anyone who looks conclusively at the weekly numbers, other than to do some projections.

It is my contention that Holmberg does well in mornings (both in ratings and revenue) because he provides entertaining and compelling content.

He does well with men. There are other stations that do well with women. Their approach is different.

As far as our two country stations, I've already stated the problem - they sound the same - and it seems to me they're both taking the same path to try and get to the top of the hill. That was not always been the case.

If they sounded the same, their ratings would be the same. That's what happens in other markets with two country stations. They don't sound the same, and the people who like country know. One sounds good, and the other sounds bad.

One problem these currents-based stations are stuck with right now is the lack of exciting new music to play. It's something they can't control.

Same problem in CHR.

We just adjusted our clocks for more gold and recurrents. The problem is downloads and Youtube views are influencing current charts and don't necessarily reflect radio airplay (I'll leave that argument for another day).

We just adjusted our clocks for more gold and recurrents. The problem is downloads and Youtube views are influencing current charts and don't necessarily reflect radio airplay (I'll leave that argument for another day).

It's a VERY big issue at record labels. They are looking carefully at the radio audience figures, comparing them to digital, and are telling radio stations they need to step up their game because of exactly what you're talking about.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom