• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KMEL SUMMER JAM, back in the day

For some when you talk about a radio concert, the only 1 to look forward to was of course the 106 KMEL summer jam, always at the shoreline and always aimmed to please, I still remember when it got so big, that it was 2 days of kick ass fun, and the live broadcasts were crazy, I don't think the FCC was listening at the time, and I don't think they had a DUMP button back in the early 90's. Now, I have to wonder why the KMEL of today is not as good as the KMEL of back when, sure the ratings and billing is up, but it is just not the same, ever since they moved from 55 francisco things changed big time, now I am not a fan of chuey gomez, but I do respect him as an air talent, radio nowadays I think is more about spinning the top artists to sell more cd's than hearing a deejay talk and talk and talk, now it's read the liner card and make sure the prophet doesn't crash and make your voice over sound "live". Good Luck to CC and KMEL and hopefully someday KMEL will go back to it's roots as the #1 arbitron rated radio station around, heck, even the 92.3 the beat in l.a., was trying to copy them, but of course they were owned by the same people early on.

Yes, I do remember the good ole days back in my college years in Turlock. This was long before the LP 106.1 out of Salida even existed. (or even KCFA in Arnold) In most parts of Turlock, KMEL came in very clearly. And yes, they did sound very much like KKBT. I think KMEL has suffered from what most other stations in this country. The big boys owning too many stations and destroying the quality. KMEL sounded really good back in the early 90's!!

> For some when you talk about a radio concert, the only 1 to
> look forward to was of course the 106 KMEL summer jam,
> always at the shoreline and always aimmed to please, I still
> remember when it got so big, that it was 2 days of kick ass
> fun, and the live broadcasts were crazy, I don't think the
> FCC was listening at the time, and I don't think they had a
> DUMP button back in the early 90's. Now, I have to wonder
> why the KMEL of today is not as good as the KMEL of back
> when, sure the ratings and billing is up, but it is just not
> the same, ever since they moved from 55 francisco things
> changed big time, now I am not a fan of chuey gomez, but I
> do respect him as an air talent, radio nowadays I think is
> more about spinning the top artists to sell more cd's than
> hearing a deejay talk and talk and talk, now it's read the
> liner card and make sure the prophet doesn't crash and make
> your voice over sound "live". Good Luck to CC and KMEL and
> hopefully someday KMEL will go back to it's roots as the #1
> arbitron rated radio station around, heck, even the 92.3 the
> beat in l.a., was trying to copy them, but of course they
> were owned by the same people early on.
>

It was not just Summer Jam, but all the live shows that KMEL used to put on. They helped form today's rap and hip hop. Evan Luck and Cameron Paul doing their weekly show from City Nights. On top of that, that club having a KMEL show every month or so with one of the early kings of rap and hip hop (Hammer, Mixx a Lot, Rodney O & Joe Cooley, and on and on).

Going back over the names, Summer Jam was just a who's who. I remember standing back at the hotel pool in Palo Alto where most everyone was. My coworker and I were talking to Will Smith (when everyone only knew him as the Fresh Prince) and AfroRican (to pull out a name from the past) drove in and thought thought the two of us talking to him were New Kids on the Block (who were also on the bill).

When is the last time a station put on a really cool concert at a club recently?

I will never forget the KMEL cruiser. <- I think that was the name. The big motor home.

Radio has been so mushed up with voice tracking and automation, it will never be the same. I remember sitting by my radio, waiting for a song to come on the air just to tape it. Those days are done.

Our kids will not know those days. Just like I have no idea what it was like to come home with a 45 and give it its first play.

mark

I remember KMEL when they had a Camel for a logo. I'm old school and don't listen to it now.

> For some when you talk about a radio concert, the only 1 to
> look forward to was of course the 106 KMEL summer jam,
> always at the shoreline and always aimmed to please, I still
> remember when it got so big, that it was 2 days of kick ass
> fun, and the live broadcasts were crazy, I don't think the
> FCC was listening at the time, and I don't think they had a
> DUMP button back in the early 90's. Now, I have to wonder
> why the KMEL of today is not as good as the KMEL of back
> when, sure the ratings and billing is up, but it is just not
> the same, ever since they moved from 55 francisco things
> changed big time, now I am not a fan of chuey gomez, but I
> do respect him as an air talent, radio nowadays I think is
> more about spinning the top artists to sell more cd's than
> hearing a deejay talk and talk and talk, now it's read the
> liner card and make sure the prophet doesn't crash and make
> your voice over sound "live". Good Luck to CC and KMEL and
> hopefully someday KMEL will go back to it's roots as the #1
> arbitron rated radio station around, heck, even the 92.3 the
> beat in l.a., was trying to copy them, but of course they
> were owned by the same people early on.
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom