• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KLSD Congratulations

Congratulations to the KLSD fans who participated in this mornings rally for the station. Over 400 fans of the station showed up in support of alternative talk for San Diego.

Stacy Taylor, morning host of the station, hit the streets in the 8 a.m. hour. Program Director Cliff Albert appeared and answered questions about the rumored change.

The grass-roots move was planned with a group outside of the KLSD staff and management.

As Stacy indicated, this could help turn a decision for a possible programming shift.

Again, congratulations to the grass-roots folks who put this together.

Media Hack Chris | SDR said:
Congratulations to the KLSD fans who participated in this mornings rally for the station. Over 400 fans of the station showed up in support of alternative talk for San Diego. Again, congratulations to the grass-roots folks who put this together.

It was a good stunt and raised awareness!

EDwalker said:
Congratulations to the KLSD fans who participated in this mornings rally for the station. Over 400 fans of the station showed up in support of alternative talk for San Diego. Again, congratulations to the grass-roots folks who put this together.

It was a good stunt and raised awareness!

Come on Chris - are you going from Media Hack to Media Shill?

Heck it wasn't "grass-roots" folks who put that notice on KLSD website of a possible format change. This was classic radio stunting: while someone else may have started the rally idea, KLSD on-the-air and on its website really fueled the fires to make sure it was a "success." I am glad to see that everyone of their listeners turned out for it.

Sorry Chris, but Bob is correct. By definition, it was a media stunt (or publicity stunty, if you desire). And indeed, KLSD staff and management made it no secret that they were "thinking outloud" about changing formats, especially when you consider the registration of a web domain. There may have been different forces at work independently but this WAS a PUBLICITY STUNT.

And when you consider that we'll have to wait a whole book to see if it worked, that proves that Clear Channel never intended to switch 1360, at least not this soon.

And so, I will take a well deserved, unapologetic and totally egotistical
[size=10pt][size=10pt]
I TOLD YOU SO !
[/size][/size]

Garrett said:
Sorry Chris, but Bob is correct. By definition, it was a media stunt (or publicity stunty, if you desire). And indeed, KLSD staff and management made it no secret that they were "thinking outloud" about changing formats, especially when you consider the registration of a web domain. There may have been different forces at work independently but this WAS a PUBLICITY STUNT.

And when you consider that we'll have to wait a whole book to see if it worked, that proves that Clear Channel never intended to switch 1360, at least not this soon.

And so, I will take a well deserved, unapologetic and totally egotistical
[size=10pt][size=10pt]
I TOLD YOU SO !
[/size][/size]

One thing though: it will only be a successful PR stunt if they got good coverage in other media, otherwise it gets talked about here and on KLSD which ain't exactly what you'd call extensive publicity. So did any TV stations cover this AND actually do a story (cameras get sent to a lot of things that never make it to the newcasts)? For this to have any sort of impact on ratings - even slight - they'd need a front page story in the Union, stories in the first 5 to 10 minutes of all local TV newscasts that evening, stories on other radio stations including KPBS, an 30 minute tribute by DS&C on the KGB morning show, a major billboard campaign, skywriters, massive direct mail and several sign spinners at major intersections. That might bump them up to a 1.2.

The staff and management were not behind the grass-roots rally. I was there Garrett, and I don't believe you were. I met with some of the organizers; I don't believe you did nor make contact with them. This rally to save the present format of KLSD was a success.

Yes, Garrett, there remains a plan to change the format of KLSD. Will it happen, who knows.

Publicity stunt or not, this worked for the fans of the station -- even if all of them were there like Bob said.

Resume normal programming.

I was there Garrett, and I don't believe you were. I met with some of the organizers; I don't believe you did nor make contact with them.

To have been at the KLSD rally, one would have to be IN San Diego. To be IN San Diego, one must live there. To Live in San Diego, one must have a job there.

Garrett said:
To have been at the KLSD rally, one would have to be IN San Diego. To be IN San Diego, one must live there. To Live in San Diego, one must have a job there.

;D Not really G-Dawg you can be in Sandy Eggo with out a job, however you have to much respect on being a homeless bum. There's plenty of work here, however it's not in radio, as the beach is full of talented hosts yearning to be on the airwaves. One day, it'll be G-DAWG radio :D ... Until then, man your post in west Texas, home of the prairie wind.

Best G-Dawg! :)

Garrett said:
I was there Garrett, and I don't believe you were. I met with some of the organizers; I don't believe you did nor make contact with them.

Which is why I wasn't there at 7:30 in the morning, but I did listen to Stacy Taylor on the way into work. If I'm at home I can't listen to the signal without interference, unless I catch the stream online.

Garrett called it correctly. God, it's depressing that KLSD is the big topic on
the San Diego radio board.

doublecashkgb said:
Garrett called it correctly. God, it's depressing that KLSD is the big topic on the San Diego radio board.

Well, G-Dawg may have some instinct about the happenings at Granny Ridge. While the SD postin' group may believe it is a station publicity stunt ~ and it is in some aspect ~ the craziness of radio has led us down the path of expecting less .... and demanding more. Bob, being in manglement knows a real skunk before the tail is raised. Regardless, despite what your talk radio beliefs are, loosing KLSD is a voice for Sandy Eggo's masses hurdles to remain free from the Lush Rimbaugh, Hean Sannity, and right talk radio.

Stay Tuned. El Sports radio? El Air America, El WTF?

I'm reading all of this information from afar, but do have some insight to the business love/hate relationship of the progressive format. First and foremost, I need to remind everybody reading this - Local Radio is Supported Locally. The only format that arrives with dollars attached is religion.

In personally running a progressive station for about 2 1/2 years with good ratings, the "liberal/progressive" business types didn't bite. To pay the rent for the transmitter and the electric bill we had to run infomercials on the weekend and local college sports at night. Those two elements alone were 90% of the revenue.

As much as Arbitron gave Miller/Franken/Rhodes/Shultz the ratings, the local advertisers - even ones that said they agreed with the politics didn't want to support the format because they didn't want their names attached. That station has been sold off to an investor that wants to continue the format. I wish them well.

In the case of KLSD, these people who showed up on Monday better break out their check books and do business with the local advertisers. Otherwise I would cut the expenses, connect up Fox Sports net and sell the hell out of Aztecs. Then the power bill gets paid and the investors receive the income on their money.

A friend of mine who used work at the Clear Channel cluster, who still keeps in contact with people there, says that the management of KLSD who no idea about the rally last week and that it was put together by NCCPJ and another group. Also Radio and Records magazine mentioned about a possible format change two months ago.

jprg said:
A friend of mine who used work at the Clear Channel cluster, who still keeps in contact with people there, says that the management of KLSD who no idea about the rally last week and that it was put together by NCCPJ and another group.
yes - a listener may have had the idea for the rally - but there would not have been 10 people there had not KLSD picked up on it and mentioned it on the air and if you look at the photos you see KLSD and CC San Diego folks up there on the KLSD stage, so to speak, leading the thing. Quite simply if KLSD and Cliff Albert had not picked up the ball and ran with it, there would have been no rally no matter how much they like to present it as a grass-roots effort. It's rather like Mexican political campaigns when the media is informed that a spontaneous demonstration will breakout in three hours :)

So Bob, while I agree with your take on Mexican politics, what's the matter with radio station listeners banding with station personalities and even management to "save" their station and stage a positive demonstration in support of that? Didn't you ever see the movie FM?

Sure, it clearly WASN'T a spontaneous demonstration, but so what? Heck, I even commented it was probably a waste of time in an earlier post...and was proven wrong. If I was a KLSD employee and got wind that 1) - I might lose my job, 2) - the market might lose a needed progressive voice, and 3) - there was a bubble of interest in keeping the station afloat, I'd fan the flames of a demonstration as well. After all, what would you have to lose? Especially if your boss is on board with the idea?

If it was a publicity stunt, it was the right kind of publicity stunt to pull off with the format. There's no reason progressive stations have to be dull and run by computer, and tapping into listeners' - and hopefully advertisers' - passion is a smart move.

That having been said, earlier posts are correct: you can't approach selling the station as though everyone listening is Rosie O'Donnell. That kind of tone-deaf approach is a guaranteed way to lose, and IMHO sells the programming short. John Kerry nearly won all the marbles in 2004, and it wasn't just the Rosie O'Donnells, Barbara Streisands, and limousine liberals of the world voting for the guy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom