• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kiss 107

Columbus is a similar sized market and you’re right, WNCI and 92X did battle for a while. Although if I recall, 92X moved toward a rock-based, AOR-style format musically by the late 80s while keeping a CHRish presentation. But again, when you say Cincinnati has never been a very good CHR town, you have to consider more than just the one decade. How about the fact that KISS 107 and Q102 have both been at it for over 20 years now? Yes, I get that corporate radio with their multi-station clusters in a market has shifted the dynamics away from the always fun head-to-head competition back in the good old days. But I still think 20+ years is pretty good that these two stations have been in what is essentially the same format.
I didn’t consider one. I actually considered from the 80s onward. I’ve been in a number of cities, and IMHO Q102 has always had a very conservative playlist, tailored to the culture of the town. I’m originally from Cincinnati and can say this, but it’s backward. It’s winning for them, so good for them. I won‘t be listening, and I know no one cares. Some listen solely because there aren‘t other choices as easily accessible.

Last edited:
But isn’t that almost always the case anywhere? Name one similar sized market that has had two dominant CHR stations for a considerable amount of time. One almost always succumbs to the other.
Nashville at one point had three (possibly four since I think WKDA on AM was Top 40 for a time) CHRs back in the early to mid-80s (KX 104, Y107, 96 KOS/96 Kiss). When KX 104 finally succumbed to Y 107’s success in 1987, then they were down to one. Recently, they had two that ran against each other for quite awhile (106.7 and 107.5). Nashville had some really great CHR stations back in the day.

This was when they took a song they played all the time anyway and played it twice back to back. I remember them doing this with "Some Guys Have All The Luck" and maybe "I Feel For You."
That bit goes all the way back to the 1960s when WCFL Chicago used to do instant replays on the number one song.
I hated it even then.

This has got to be one of the low points of Q-102...

This was when modern rock and rap were big, and Q-102 was still stuck on Richard Marx.

And Q-102 had no format competition at the time whatsoever.
I laughed at your ”….stuck on Richard Marx” comment.

I noticed Joshua Kadison on the list. He turned crazy. He had a channel with some bizarre videos on YouTube recently ranting and raving. Now, the channel is gone. He’s apparently pretty flighty and has been putting/taking websites and social media channels up and down repeatedly for the past number of years. He looked and sounded pretty rough too in the videos. Sung in some of them and sounded like shit. Really sad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom