• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KIKK has rebranded

AndyWaldrop said:
Long story short (as the legend for many, many years has gone): as long as there is a WSM on 650, there won't be ANY kind of changes...as far as a power increase, or increase in hours goes...for KIKK as long as it is on 650.

As I recall, somebody (maybe Leroy Gloger himself) pissed-off someone at WSM. Ever since then, they have kept an eagle eye on the 650 kHz frequency licensed to Pasadena, Texas.

Speaking of signal...I listened to KIKK all the way from Houston to Beaumont Saturday afternoon (yesterday afternoon) with no problem whatsoever.

Oh...and it sounds like they may have tweaked the audio some!

No one wants to listen to WSM down here. We want to hear our local stations. ;D

stan said:
No one wants to listen to WSM down here. We want to hear our local stations. ;D

WSM is a hit-or-miss. I couldn't get it clearly last night.

I like having CBS News back on in Houston again after a 5 year absence. It disappeared from the KPRC schedule after the Dan Rather incident. Now on to finding ABC news in Houston.

I haven't been able to pick up WSM near as good as I used to in the good old days. I think, as Houston has grown, the noise floor has increased to the point where, unless you are out away from town a ways; you won't hear very many AMs well at night.

mrbeasley said:
I haven't been able to pick up WSM near as good as I used to in the good old days. I think, as Houston has grown, the noise floor has increased to the point where, unless you are out away from town a ways; you won't hear very many AMs well at night.

Even in areas with a low noise floor reception is increasingly difficult due to all the co-channel stations that have been added in recent years following the breakup of the old clear channels. Even though night powers of such stations is often quite modest, the signal still gets out, and the cumulative effect helps degrade or drown out the dominant station.

AndyWaldrop said:
Long story short (as the legend for many, many years has gone): as long as there is a WSM on 650, there won't be ANY kind of changes...as far as a power increase, or increase in hours goes...for KIKK as long as it is on 650.

As I recall, somebody (maybe Leroy Gloger himself) pissed-off someone at WSM. Ever since then, they have kept an eagle eye on the 650 kHz frequency licensed to Pasadena, Texas.

Speaking of signal...I listened to KIKK all the way from Houston to Beaumont Saturday afternoon (yesterday afternoon) with no problem whatsoever.

Oh...and it sounds like they may have tweaked the audio some!

WSM is a shell of its once-iconic self, basically a tax writeoff for Gaylord. Whoever Gloger pi$$ed off up there is long gone.

Mediafrog+ said:
mrbeasley said:

Even in areas with a low noise floor reception is increasingly difficult due to all the co-channel stations that have been added in recent years following the breakup of the old clear channels. Even though night powers of such stations is often quite modest, the signal still gets out, and the cumulative effect helps degrade or drown out the dominant station.

I rarely hear WBBM clearly because of other American stations plus this strong Mexican station and if I do, it only lasts a few minutes before another stations interferes with WBBM again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom