• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KHAR 590 Anchorage

CCBInMI

Frequent Participant
11 years after dropping Standards for CBS Sports Radio, they've flipped back to Standards as "Gold Rush Radio," using Westwood One's America's Best Music (the playlist matches up with WMST in Kentucky).
Streaming right now via Tunein (I can't get it to work on their website or iHeartRadio).

Back in 1970s/80s/ and 90s they were the leading "Easy Listening" station in Alaska, known then as "Heart Radio 59". KNIK FM 105.5 back then was also EZL before going Smooth Jazz about 1998. 590 would always come in nicely 275 miles south on Kodiak Island, where I was stationed and lived for 15 years... It sent out a great signal for 5000 watts, .straight water-path down Cook Inlet and into Gulf of Alaska and Alaska Peninsula.

this is not going to be any sort of barn burner or gain huge listenership i dont think

America's Best Music has had a number of affiliates drop the service in recent years. Nice to hear the service has picked up a new affiliate.

this is not going to be any sort of barn burner or gain huge listenership i dont think
Probably not, Anchorage isn't exactly an over-65 market...but how many sports stations can Anchorage support? At least it's something different. It sounds like the same service my local WDEA 1370 has here in Maine.

Probably not, Anchorage isn't exactly an over-65 market...but how many sports stations can Anchorage support? At least it's something different. It sounds like the same service my local WDEA 1370 has here in Maine.
Yup, they both use "America's Best Music" from Westwood One, a subsidiary of Cumulus Media.

I know I keep harping on this, but: I wish some bored billionaire would put some kind of Standards on a San Francisco station – any station, AM or FM – just for the fun of it, because I'd like to be able to actually listen to something other than KCBS when I am driving around places with poor/nonexistent cell service (it's surprising, yet somehow refreshing, how many dead zones there are around here, even in this day and age, and it's not uncommon for me to be downtown with a full 4 or 5 bars of LTE or 5G service and have my phone sit there and complain that it can't connect to the Internet).

KOSF is the closest thing to "oldies" around here, but I don't really care much for it. At home I'll stream, but again, when I'm driving, it's hit or miss at best. I honestly don't know how all the techies around here manage, because I'm always having issues getting streams to come in reliably unless I'm parked next to a WiFi hotspot.

c

I know I keep harping on this, but: I wish some bored billionaire would put some kind of Standards on a San Francisco station – any station, AM or FM – just for the fun of it, because I'd like to be able to actually listen to something other than KCBS when I am driving around places with poor/nonexistent cell service (it's surprising, yet somehow refreshing, how many dead zones there are around here, even in this day and age, and it's not uncommon for me to be downtown with a full 4 or 5 bars of LTE or 5G service and have my phone sit there and complain that it can't connect to the Internet).

KOSF is the closest thing to "oldies" around here, but I don't really care much for it. At home I'll stream, but again, when I'm driving, it's hit or miss at best. I honestly don't know how all the techies around here manage, because I'm always having issues getting streams to come in reliably unless I'm parked next to a WiFi hotspot.

c
Add Bluetooth to your car stereo/upgrade it to one that has Bluetooth built in and play Nat King Cole/Doris Day/Tony Bennett/etc. downloaded music from your phone. Magic 61 is not coming back.

Add Bluetooth to your car stereo/upgrade it to one that has Bluetooth built in and play Nat King Cole/Doris Day/Tony Bennett/etc. downloaded music from your phone. Magic 61 is not coming back.
Ah, yeah, my car is a 2017 model with a decent Bluetooth-enabled stereo, and I do listen to downloaded music from time to time. It'll never happen I guess (at least around here), but I just wish I could simply tune into a station like the wondrous days of yore (before KFRC and KABL, two of my most favorite stations ever that I basically grew up listening to, went off the air and became religious KEAR and Bloomberg Radio KNEW, respectively) and listen without messing with my phone.

I don't really get why the Bay Area is resistant to this format. Profitable or not, it seems like many other markets have a better variety of oldies and classic hits (we have exactly one station – KOSF 103.7 – that is "classic hits").

I realize the target demographic is aging toward oblivion (especially on the pre-Beatles stuff), but that doesn't seem to stop stations elsewhere from airing it anyway (including, notably, the station which is the subject of this thread, which flipped from sports).

Oh well. I should probably stop dwelling so much and just accept that things won't ever be exactly as I want them to be (I'm starting to remind myself of @vchimpanzee a bit :LOL:).

c

Back
Top Bottom