• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KGO's Karel -his take on the KGO changes?

oaktree said:
Today, Wednesday, on his lightly syndicated show (which lasts for anywhere from one hour to 3 hours, depending on the station) ... he announced his hate for KGO listeners who cost him "$2000 for a forum with Pat Vitucci" ...

Extremely poor form on his part, and as you say, in the other markets who cares about KGO? Listening to Karel is like watching an accident. It's hard to turn your head away from the carnage even though morally you should...

But here's the good part ... this guy said just a week ago that he made $22,000 a year while at KGO ... for weekend and ocassional fill in work.

No, he claimed he made $2,200 a month, which is $250 a show, and no change from what KGO was paying 3 years ago for such services. Unless you're on top, radio, even talkradio doesn't pay all that well.

Well said David.

I've caught Karel before on KGO from Washington State. While I can appreciate all forms of schtick, you nailed it for me.

In many ways, he's the absolute worst of what talk radio is. Shrill, rude, plays to the worst and the whole "I'm gay" thing - passe. Obviously, Swanson liked something about him. Other than loudly waving his sexuality and being brash, I can't see any other reason Swanson brought the guy on.

Michael Krasny, whom I have great memories of listening to at night on KGO, compare him to Karel.

Talk radio vs. shock radio.

I had to look away though regarding Karel after I figured him out. The carnage was too much for me.

DavidKaye said:
Listening to Karel is like watching an accident. It's hard to turn your head away from the carnage even though morally you should...

Stephanie Sandlin said:
Well said David.

I've caught Karel before on KGO from Washington State. While I can appreciate all forms of schtick, you nailed it for me.

In many ways, he's the absolute worst of what talk radio is. Shrill, rude, plays to the worst and the whole "I'm gay" thing - passe. Obviously, Swanson liked something about him. Other than loudly waving his sexuality and being brash, I can't see any other reason Swanson brought the guy on.

Michael Krasny, whom I have great memories of listening to at night on KGO, compare him to Karel.

Talk radio vs. shock radio.

I had to look away though regarding Karel after I figured him out. The carnage was too much for me.

DavidKaye said:
Listening to Karel is like watching an accident. It's hard to turn your head away from the carnage even though morally you should...

You don't have to rely on your memories of Michael Krasny - you can hear him most mornings on KQED. It's worth noting that there is an audience for Krasny's brand of radio, though it's probably only public radio these days. Forum is simulcast on Sirius/XM and over the internet. He gets callers from all over America

Even the great and sainted Mickey Luckoff realized that confrontational in-your-face talk radio beats thoughtful and intellectual talk radio for ratings. that's why Mickey sent Krasny packing and replaced him with Bernie Ward about a dozen years ago.

DavidKaye said:
oaktree said:
Today, Wednesday, on his lightly syndicated show (which lasts for anywhere from one hour to 3 hours, depending on the station) ... he announced his hate for KGO listeners who cost him "$2000 for a forum with Pat Vitucci" ...

Extremely poor form on his part,

Maybe one of Karel's primary influences is Michael Savage! :D

Savage makes it part of his shtick to criticize, ridicule his colleagues (e.g., Limbaugh is The Golfer, Hannity is The Wallbanger, Beck is Blackboards, O'Reilly is The Leprechaun, Levin is a high-pitched woman needing anesthesia, etc.)

He then wonders aloud why nobody on other networks will call him or stand up for him when he was banned in Britain.

Both of them pride themselves on being outcasts.

Questor said:
Both of them pride themselves on being outcasts.

I wouldn't worry too much about Michael Weiner/Savage, being the money behind his son's Rock Star "energy drink". He's set for life.

Indeed.

The numbers don't lie. In your face, provocative and intense talk radio pulls numbers and is more watercooler inclined compared to the more intellectual side. I was thinking about that as I was posting my prior post, that Krasny's brand of talk is more suited today for public radio. Even though I haven't caught Krasny in many years, it's nice to know he's accessible on other streams outside of KQED.

It's been an interesting transition talk radio has gone through the years. Watching it, seeing where the new generation takes it. The various different angles. It's so competitive these days, you almost have to have a spark to stand out (or be louder).

What would've a station done with Savage in 1985? Would have he gotten his chance I wonder?

That said, I get the reason Luckoff and Swanson opted for Karel with his confrontational style. Giving a weekend daypart some spunk. Plus, the openly gay thing would play well.

My question though about Karel; I'd love to see focus some group data on him and how he tests.

Regards.

Lkeller said:
Even the great and sainted Mickey Luckoff realized that confrontational in-your-face talk radio beats thoughtful and intellectual talk radio for ratings. that's why Mickey sent Krasny packing and replaced him with Bernie Ward about a dozen years ago.

Stephanie Sandlin said:
That said, I get the reason Luckoff and Swanson opted for Karel with his confrontational style. Giving a weekend daypart some spunk. Plus, the openly gay thing would play well.

He and Andrew got good ratings at KFI, in afternoon drive, no less. And Karel probably put in a good audition tape and probably emphasized his show-biz connections. Then there's the fact that Karel is a go-getter who won't take no for an answer. Plus, he works his ass off getting clients, making connections, doing meet & greets, etc. Few talkshow hosts will go the lengths Karel will go to to make things work.

And sometimes he's actually listenable, too.

Bill Wattenberg was a jerk. I don't like Karel either but Wattenberg would talk down to guest and then transform into a jackass when ever a political topic came up. He was guest on Michael Savages show several times so it's no wonder he's a pompous right wing nut case.

How did KGO listeners cost him 2 grand? No one showed for the seminar? Was this his travel expenses from Long Beach to SF? Or did he have to front money on the deal? Didn't they have a RSVP set-up, where if people don't call in, they cancel the event? The guy giving the seminar seemed to want to reach out to the "gay market." Watenberg held a bunch of these seminars, maybe the Karel DEMO is not that great for this kind of service?

While I'm sure Karel gets some freebies for some of his product promotions on his shows and websites, he does seem to be living a $100,000 lifestyle on $22,000 a year. Italian cycles, everything Apple that has every been made (in China) etc.

It is his business, even though he puts it out on the air, maybe he's the left's version of that Zigler guy down in LA who trashed every station who he ever worked for.

Stephanie Sandlin said:
Indeed.

What would've a station done with Savage in 1985? Would have he gotten his chance I wonder?

Savage did get a chance on KGO. That's where he started - or at least where I first heard him. Luckoff got him started as a weekend and fill-in host, though I'm thinking it was later than 1985 - maybe early 90s.

When ABC bought KSFO and began the right-wing Hot Talk format, Swanson gradually moved 3 of the KGO hosts over - Savage, Jim Eason, and Lee Rodgers, though I don't remember in what order.

IIRC, Eason was moved first, and was upset about it - he didn't want to leave the 'mother-ship,' so to speak. I believe Savage went over to KSFO later. I do recall that he followed Eason's show at 4:00 in the afternoon.

It's worth noting that Eason despised Savage, despite the similarity in their politics. Jim reportedly coined the "Savage Weiner" label, and moved his show to his home state of North Carolina, at least in part because he didn't want to run into Savage at 900 Front Street. If memory serves, Eason hated San Francisco almost as much as Savage, so that was probably the other reason.

Lkeller said:
Stephanie Sandlin said:
Indeed.

Savage did get a chance on KGO. That's where he started - or at least where I first heard him. Luckoff got him started as a weekend and fill-in host, though I'm thinking it was later than 1985 - maybe early 90s.

When ABC bought KSFO and began the right-wing Hot Talk format, Swanson gradually moved 3 of the KGO hosts over - Savage, Jim Eason, and Lee Rodgers, though I don't remember in what order.

IIRC, Eason was moved first, and was upset about it - he didn't want to leave the 'mother-ship,' so to speak. I believe Savage went over to KSFO later. I do recall that he followed Eason's show at 4:00 in the afternoon.

It's worth noting that Eason despised Savage, despite the similarity in their politics. Jim reportedly coined the "Savage Weiner" label, and moved his show to his home state of North Carolina, at least in part because he didn't want to run into Savage at 900 Front Street. If memory serves, Eason hated San Francisco almost as much as Savage, so that was probably the other reason.
I believe Lee Rodgers came aboard KSFO sometime after J. Paul Emerson got fired. Speaking of which, who was worst? Michael Savage or J. Paul Emerson. It seems that ABC canned Emerson a month after he was hired while Savage stayed on there much longer.

Of course KQED has the top ratings and KGO is slipping...the in your face stuff has tanked in the BAY AREA.

Madmansam said:
Lkeller said:
Stephanie Sandlin said:
Indeed.

I believe Lee Rodgers came aboard KSFO sometime after J. Paul Emerson got fired. Speaking of which, who was worst? Michael Savage or J. Paul Emerson. It seems that ABC canned Emerson a month after he was hired while Savage stayed on there much longer.

Savage or Emerson - who was 'worse?' Emerson, without question. For those who don't remember, J. Paul Emerson had been the sidekick and newsman to DJ Gary Bryan on the KFRC morning show. In those days before dedicated right-wing radio stations, I guess Bryan and Emerson must have filled a need for right-wing talk, though it was between Oldies records...believe it or not. KFRC finally fired Emerson for one too many anti-gay remarks. When Jack Swanson was setting up KSFO, Emerson probably seemed like a good choice, given his notoriety.

But it's one thing to provide brief rants between commercials and Oldies songs, and quite another to carry an entire talk show. On KSFO, Emerson would careen wildly between subjects in an almost incoherent way.

"It's time to stop those immoral homos from having sex in the streets. And what about that President Clinton...what a commie." I paraphrase, of course.

I heard only part of one of his KSFO programs - it was unlistenable. Total train wreck. You say he lasted a month. I'm surprised Swanson put up with that mess for more than a few days.

Red78 said:
Who cares what Karel thinks? He's a lightweight with a brain to match.

Amen.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom