• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFWB AM who owns it.

Just wanted to know who owns KFWB I know it's Spanish but that doesn't tell me much.
It's owned by Lotus Communications, which also owns KWKW and KIRN locally and a total of 43 stations nationally. It was founded in the 60's by Howard Kalmenson and is now run by his son, James. It's a family owned company.

Format is "ranchera" but it could be considered to be oldies/nostalgia also. Sister KWKW is all sports, and KIRN is all-Farsi programming.

lotuscorp has lots of details.

I know lotus owns a couple of stations in Tucson. ( Where my family lives) maybe KFWB should flip to a more profitable format.

I know lotus owns a couple of stations in Tucson. ( Where my family lives) maybe KFWB should flip to a more profitable format.
It's already quite profitable and sold in combination with KWKW, which has a 60-year history in Spanish, going back to when it was on 1300 before buying the better signal of 1330 KFAC.

They own 6 stations in Tucson.

It's already quite profitable and sold in combination with KWKW, which has a 60-year history in Spanish, going back to when it was on 1300 before buying the better signal of 1330 KFAC.

They own 6 stations in Tucson.
Lotus also owns the former Sinclair/Fisher radio stations in Seattle. None of which are Spanish language.

It's owned by Lotus Communications, which also owns KWKW and KIRN locally and a total of 43 stations nationally. It was founded in the 60's by Howard Kalmenson and is now run by his son, James. It's a family owned company.

Format is "ranchera" but it could be considered to be oldies/nostalgia also. Sister KWKW is all sports, and KIRN is all-Farsi programming.

lotuscorp has lots of details.
They now seem to be the only remaining Ranchera oriented station in the LA area. This is unfortunate because the signal is very poor out here in the West SFV. This has always been the problem with 'WB, even way back in the "Color Channel 98 days". I remember watching Gene Weed in KFWB's small weekend broadcasting booth in the North end of the Topanga Plaza shopping center back in the day, and was amused that on my car radio in the parking lot, KFWB's signal was just weak enough that it could seem like it might very well be coming from San Diego! The ground conductivity length wise through the Santa Monica Mts is very poor. I should add that at night, co-channel interference makes KFWB essentially unlistenable.

They now seem to be the only remaining Ranchera oriented station in the LA area. This is unfortunate because the signal is very poor out here in the West SFV. This has always been the problem with 'WB, even way back in the "Color Channel 98 days". I remember watching Gene Weed in KFWB's small weekend broadcasting booth in the North end of the Topanga Plaza shopping center back in the day, and was amused that on my car radio in the parking lot, KFWB's signal was just weak enough that it could seem like it might very well be coming from San Diego! The ground conductivity length wise through the Santa Monica Mts is very poor. I should add that at night, co-channel interference makes KFWB essentially unlistenable.
But back then, they were guided by Pulse and Hooper (Arbitron did not even start to roll out till '65) and they measured basically Central Zone LA... Up to Burbank and Glendale, out part way into the SGV and little in the SFV and none in Orange County.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom