• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kfai Community Radio remembering Earl Root

B

Bill-SCH

While new to the site, I would hope radio fans in the Twin Cities would remember one of the best, lost his battle with cancer, nearly 10 years of fighting and coping with the disease, As a long time listener, I was invited down to his late night show while they broadcast KFAI from the Butler Drug building on Lake Street in Minneapolis, MN.
One can still drive by and see the upper floor window where the studio resided (former dentist's office I was told!) and faint letters remain on the building outside.

Earl had a bevy of guests, both on the phone and in-studio and one long time "Semi-naked co-pilot", Tim Honebrink who helped man everything. What amounts to the longest running metal show anywhere in the World at this point, we always think fondly on him, anyone who knew him, or met him, he was about the best the media scene ever conjured up and I'd committed to keep his memory alive via YouTube and photo sites like Photobucket where one can find pictures from various years, most that I took myself.

Earl just called me one night and invited me down, or I called him, and then I got to know more and more about him as an avid fan. A DJ who volunteered much less, bringing his own extensive records and LPs down to the station to play, every week, he had his own record store Root Celler in St. Paul, on University, in two locations, and started up his own record label as well, just amazing what he did with his musical dreams, because on top of that, he played guitar in several local bands, including the Original Disturbed thrash outfit.

Earl was all about bringing joy and humor to the fore, and he was honest in everything he did, that's why you couldn't help but to like him, even though SOME gave him a hard time, he really was fantastic!

I'd like to hear from other fans of KFAI's Root of All Evil radio show, I certainly see bumperstickers on cars all over the metro, and I too donned a few in the day, pledging and having the tote bag, mug, t-shirt. Being Radio Producer at one point, and I didn't even bother to sponser a day of programming on KFAI, though it's an appealing idea, even now!
A salute to KFAI and it's staff for keeping Earl's show and legacy alive, and kicking!

Earl and I became friends in 1974,and even back then he was all about the METAL!!! When I attended his Celebration of his life, I was amazed to see the number of people that attended, But then I remembered how Earl touched the lives of everyone he was in contact with, he was loved by all. we lost touch for a while he off playing with the band(s), I following my dream of Radio, and when I got back to the Twin Cities in 1989, I looked him up, and it was just as though we never lost contact, I finished my air shift on Saturday night and Earl invited me to his show this was the first time I had seen him in about 8 or 9 years, he popped his head out that upstairs studio window and yelled "hey dude great to seee ya! come on up!" we kept in touch,I attended his wedding reception, he attended mine (#2). R.I.P. Earl my friend... your legacy lives on. Jeff

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom