• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KEDB sold

From RadioInsight (Station Sales Week Of 5/26 - RadioInsight)

Honey Creek Broadcasting sells “True Oldies 105.3” KEDB Chariton IA to St. Gabriel Communications for $600,000. KEDB will join the buyer’s “Iowa Catholic Radio” network.

My commentary: it seems odd to be selling off a C2 from a cluster with a full class C (though temporarily not operating as such) and a class C FM with a translator. By the same token, that part of southern Iowa has had a declining economy for decades. The Honey Creek operations, based in Centerville, all seem to have very little local programming. Last time I was there was earlier this month, with the Albia and Ottumwa operations appearing to have much more of a local presence than the Centerville-based stations.

I find it hard to believe that St. Gabriel is pulling out enough cash from its ostensibly non-commercial operations to keep buying up stations, but it must be getting the money from somewhere.

The KDLS purchase in Des Moines is kinda strange in that it closed several weeks back and still running the same programming.
I noticed no changes to KDLS-FM when I was in Des Moines last month but the sale may not have closed at that time. A consummation notice was filed for KDLS-FM on May 23; KEDB has filed for a modification of license, to go to noncommercial status contingent upon approval of the sale to St. Gabriel, on June 1 in which a subsidiary of St. Gabriel is listed as the licensee of KDLS-FM (as well as KWKY(AM)).

KEDB has almost no web presence so it may be hard to see the actual status of facts on the ground; probably the best thing to do is to keep an eye on the FCC filings.

I noticed no changes to KDLS-FM when I was in Des Moines last month but the sale may not have closed at that time. A consummation notice was filed for KDLS-FM on May 23; KEDB has filed for a modification of license, to go to noncommercial status contingent upon approval of the sale to St. Gabriel, on June 1 in which a subsidiary of St. Gabriel is listed as the licensee of KDLS-FM (as well as KWKY(AM)).

KEDB has almost no web presence so it may be hard to see the actual status of facts on the ground; probably the best thing to do is to keep an eye on the FCC filings.
I’m in the Des Moines market and can confirm KDLS is still Spanish programming as of today.

I was in the area over the weekend. KCOG 1400/103.9 has picked up the True Oldies Channel format, but is currently a minute or so behind KEDB. The 103.9 translator gets out quite well and was quite listenable in Bloomfield. St. Gabriel recently won a CP for 88.7 in Albia. It will be interesting to see whether they keep it for a secondary format or swap for a station elsewhere.

I was looking this morning and see that KDLS has applied to to non directional from their current directional status. Same ERP and relative location. I wonder if the location will change as my understanding of their directional requirement is KCYZ Ames??

I was in the area over the weekend. KCOG 1400/103.9 has picked up the True Oldies Channel format, but is currently a minute or so behind KEDB.
Then KCOG isn't "Centerville's #1 Hit Music Station", as it claimed last year on one of its TOH IDs! I just missed recording that one, even though I was spending the night in Centerville for the first time in 50 years (literally).

The 103.9 translator gets out quite well and was quite listenable in Bloomfield.

It's on the original KMGO tower outside Rathbun, north of Centerville; mounted 151 meters which is almost 500 feet.

St. Gabriel recently won a CP for 88.7 in Albia. It will be interesting to see whether they keep it for a secondary format or swap for a station elsewhere.
The coverage area of that CP is entirely encompassed by the KEDB coverage area. Is St. Gabriel only doing "Iowa Catholic Radio" or is there another program service that it operates?

I see on another radio industry news site that the KEDB sale was approved. Will this trigger a switch to get flipped for both KEDB and KDLS-FM?

KDLS-FM still has Spanish programming. Its sale closed back in May.

Back
Top Bottom