• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KDON 1460 Salinas ( transmitter site near coast )

Back years ago KDON on 1460 had, I believe 2 towers close to the coast, exactly where were these 2 towers located and why did they move the site later to its present location ?
I know they are now 4 towers at 10kw day & night ,the old site if I recall correctly was 5kw day & night.

Al

Back years ago KDON on 1460 had, I believe 2 towers close to the coast, exactly where were these 2 towers located and why did they move the site later to its present location ?
I know they are now 4 towers at 10kw day & night ,the old site if I recall correctly was 5kw day & night.

Al

I believe I recall two reasons. The land near the coast increased in value and taxes increased proportionally. Moving inland allowed the station to cover more population since the area had grown immensely since the original site wast built.

The station always sent most of the night signal to the west to protect other co-channel and adjacent channel stations. By moving inland, they covered their market better. However, they had to increase power as in CA in general the farther inland you get, the poorer the ground conductivity is.

Found the old site ,on historical aerials & info from FCC history cards ,it was 2 towers near an area called Palm Beach , just SW of Watsonville on the coast. It was west of Shell Road and north of W. Beach Rd. Yes there is some new building around the area but the actual old site is still swamp and just open land,towers are gone.
If you go to old aerials you can see two towers running NE - SW, 1968 map.
This is what I remembered,that it was 2 towers close to coast about mid-way between Santa Cruz & Salinas. Today if you look at "Googlemaps" ,it mentions the towers as KDON-AM ,Salinas but the towers are not there anymore.

Al

Found the old site ,on historical aerials & info from FCC history cards ,it was 2 towers near an area called Palm Beach , just SW of Watsonville on the coast. It was west of Shell Road and north of W. Beach Rd. Yes there is some new building around the area but the actual old site is still swamp and just open land,towers are gone.
Al

Coastal wetlands in CA are generally not called "swamps". They are wetlands, marshes, tidal basins or similar terms.

Many are not protected if they are not home to a wildlife variety that is endangered. They can be made highly commercial via landfill or drainage.

The only issue is that, in my opinion, the Salinas area is the only coastal zone of California where the coastline is just dreadful and, mostly, quite ugly save for an occasional sunset over the Pacific. Much of the lack of beauty has to do with unfettered free-market agriculture, but much also is just the typical homeliness of "wetlands" in a tidal basin.

Last edited:
Dave,

you can too call them swamps . . . I spents over 40 years in Califronia, loved it . . . but trust me it is a SWAMP.

see . . . fromWikipedia ( they know all !!!! ) . . . A swamp is a forested wetland.

If you ever been to that old KDON site, you'd see it is forested alittle . . . I was at that site in the 70's / 80's . . . it is a SWAMP or as you like to call it a Wetland.

Al

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom