• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KDMD-LD Tacoma Sold to Seattle 6 Broadcasting LLC (Scott Centers, member)

Confused on this ...have never heard of the calls. All Google (didn't go to FCC) show it as an Anchorage AK property.

Also don't know what the -LD designation is??

I have never heard of this station when I was living north of Seattle. Makes sense as I was way out of its range. No clue what the heck it ran/runs for a network down there.

Considering it’s a LP digital station in Tacoma, I was shocked it went for near a cool million...

...then you see it has an application to move to Queen Anne Hill with what appears to be a big increase in coverage. Should cover most of the population in King/Pierce, but basically misses Snohomish Co...I’m assuming to protect a station in Canuckistan.

Big question I’d have is what will end up on this station and it’s subchannels once it moves to Seattle.

Considering it’s a LP digital station in Tacoma, I was shocked it went for near a cool million...

A full power TV like the Univision affiliate KUNS would go for about $30M, so $1M for an LD Seattle-Tacoma stick-value signal is a bargain. North of Everett is outside the Market anyway, so nobody cares (except maybe Larry). The challenge will be market cable/satellite carriage, because LPTV-LD stations aren't considered 'must carry'.

Big question I’d have is what will end up on this station and it’s subchannels once it moves to Seattle.

My guess would be block or brokered programming. Maybe lease the dot-2 and dot-3 channels to some international networks like KBS World (Korean), RT (Russian), or CGTN (Chinese).

A full power TV like the Univision affiliate KUNS would go for about $30M, so $1M for an LD Seattle-Tacoma stick-value signal is a bargain. North of Everett is outside the Market anyway, so nobody cares (except maybe Larry). The challenge will be market cable/satellite carriage, because LPTV-LD stations aren't considered 'must carry'.

My guess would be block or brokered programming. Maybe lease the dot-2 and dot-3 channels to some international networks like KBS World (Korean), RT (Russian), or CGTN (Chinese).

Wonder if they will pick up COZI-TV?

KYMU-LD is on the air right now with 4 subchannels, all with full field color bars and no tone. PSIP ID's as KYMU-LD 6-1, 6-2, etc. No other info on the screen. I'm assuming that they are at their licensed power (3Kw) from their location on the KIRO tower.

Val

Attachments

• IMG_7406 (1).jpg
    IMG_7406 (1).jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Just re scanned my OTA channels and no KYMU for me. I'm not line of sight to Queen Ann and am using a small gain antenna. I'm more towards the middle of the Vashon. My OTA is for when Comcast goes out while watching the big 4 networks or hawks game. I'm replacing my dads OTA antenna set up on Vashon. Will be trying a couple of different antennas there so will have to see if I get it there.

Also wonder with KING TV changing channel assignments requiring OTA users to rescan in a couple of weeks if some will discover KYMU.

I have KYMU tuned in on a TV at work, which is at a broadcast facility on Lake Union. I'm getting it off of an old UHF two-way antenna on the roof. I also picked it up in my TV satellite truck while parked at CenturyLink Field.

My house is on the back side of West Seattle- on the Vashon side if you will. I have a UHF antenna and hi-VHF antenna pointed toward the two hills with broadcast towers in Seattle but only get a hint of KYMU on my TV. Signal strength moves around in the 20 to 25% range but that's all so of course no lock. West Seattle could present terrain difficulties for you on Vashon unless you have a lo-VHF antenna to work with.

Val

Last edited:
Put up the new antenna at my dads house, middle of Vashon Island (about two miles going south from Center.) Got KYMU, not the best signal but with a little antenna pointing may be able to get it better.

Antenna is a Channel Master CM 2018.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom