• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KCBS-AM was silent for 30 minutes

UPDATE: KSJS is back on the air now. Given that they were still silent during the 6pm hour, my estimate of when they returned to broadcast would be around 8:00.

Couple of years ago after a huge windstorm a number of stations, both FM & TV, were off the air in my area. They all shared a tower. Some were back on the air a couple of days later, others it was close to a week. I'm assuming that they lost electricity but also assumed they would have had a backup generator at the site. Also assuming that maybe the main antenna transmission lines could have been severed, a tree could have come down and crunched the transmitter shack, electric bill wasn't paid, squirrel/raccoon/other animal could have gotten in there and became a crispy critter by shorting everything out. Never did find out what the issue was, everybody remained mum about it when I started asking questions.

"Shit happens even when to do the maintenance."
Nearly all "Boise" FMs are on Deer Point, NNE of Boise. Lousy to get to in the winter. Most of them have generators. Normally there are two feeders for the sites, switchable. One was down for work. Then the other failed during a wind storm knocking 11 of the 21 up there off. The generators for the ones off had actually been tested the week before under load! Engineers finally were able to reach the site and got generators running about 6 hours later. Heavy snow makes it hard even for snowmobiles to reach the site. The ski area chairlifts weren't running with no power so that method of access was not there.
Power was restored nearly 13 hours later.

KFBK was off air again for about 2 hours a few nights ago

Back
Top Bottom