• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KAHM 101.7 translator off the air. K269EE

Not unusual to find some of the radio and television stations/translators off the air during
summer monsoons. We haven't had any recent storms yet KAHM's translator at 101.7
continues off the air. In lieu of KAHM, receiving station from Show Low, KQAZ.

Still wondering if/when KAHM will move to Spring Valley. They still have two years on the CP and that translator would definitely be more useful after the move.

Cannot help but wonder why 101.7 isn't being used to its' full potential.
I do not believe there is another full power station on frequency closer than Show Low.
That should leave many options open......

K269EE/101.7 is back on the air. With little doubt, the audio quality is superior
to that of main 102.1 audio. Cannot help but wonder if there have been any other
changes??? Radio check please.

K269EE/101.7 is back on the air. With little doubt, the audio quality is superior
to that of main 102.1 audio. Cannot help but wonder if there have been any other
changes??? Radio check please.
I'd have to agree concerning audio, Joe.
101.7 seems preferable to the flagship 102.1 FM.
I'm reporting from Northwest area, near Chino Valley. Both hit my CCRadio with the identical signal strength.

Thanks for the info. Interesting how the translators signal is on par with 58kw atop
Mingus Mtn. I'm in North Prescott, I have line of sight to both and 102.1 is usually
only marginally better.

Just speculation...but could the 101.7 upgrade be in preparation for KAHM to leave 102.1 permanently. Does anyone know how much time is left on the 5-10 year (with option to buy) deal that has been keeping KAHM at 102.1?

Good question. If and when they move to Spring Valley the 101.7 becomes more significant. Will they convert 102.1 to Spanish and continue to stream Percy Faith to the 101.7 via an HD2?

Also am thinking that the "option to buy" was used to purchase KYCA a few years back. Prescott Broadcasting paid an astonishing 1 million to keep the 1kw AM with translator instead of purchasing KAHM. Unless they can finance another big purchase, I don't see the group eventually buying back KAHM.

I believe the group more or less LMA'd KAHM based on their ability to pay $$ per month for the privilege, or buy it back out as you said. KAHM is one of the last "beautiful music" stations in the country, it would be sad to see them go, but I'm not sure if the demographics are there to support continued profitability. Chavez must want to convert it to Spanish at some point, though they have a powerful 101.9 translator in Phoenix that covers the valley well.

I agree, KAHM is one of the last BM stations in existence, and would love to see it continue carrying the flag for a still popular format, just not popular with advertsers. I don't know if the translator purchased was 101.7 or not, but I have a feeling they would keep KAHM on the translator owned or continue to LMA it (if it's not owned). I hope the longtime employees there keep it going as a legacy to the former owners, if not the format.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom