• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Just what these guys wanted; Free publicity

M

Mark_Giardina

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050730/NEWS01/507300327/1002/NEWS<P ID="signature">______________
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them".</P>

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/ap> ps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050730/NEWS01/507300327/1002/NEWS
>

Anyone know what they did in Manchester, NH?

> Anyone know what they did in Manchester, NH?

The story has a link to their website, and I saw the video of Manchester there.

> > Anyone know what they did in Manchester, NH?
>
> The story has a link to their website, and I saw the video
> of Manchester there.
>

Thanks, these folks need a life.

What is the 'Department of Communications' at Syracuse University? Never had that while I was a Newhouse student.

> Thanks, these folks need a life.

Agreed... the first couple of times, it was kinda funny. I mean, if you're at home watching the news and there's some weird "ninja" doing moves in the background of a liveshot... you're either gonna laugh thinking it's a true wackjob, or you're gonna laugh because you realize it's a stunt.

However, I didn't think some of the other things were all that funny -- for example, the guy with the cross trying to preach his way into a liveshot, or their beloved "What's the mood here" question. It's lame. Get something new, or just give up.

Overall, a stupid move for the guy. I didn't know until I visited the site again to see this latest thing, that the "ringleader" used to be a producer at R-News in Rochester, and actually lost his job when he was caught for his involvement in this. What a stupid move! All that time and money in college, wasted because this guy wants to play stupid jokes on the competition. Not to mention, the loss of free cable and RoadRunner, a benefit that seems to be worth more and more every year.

He'll never work in the business again, and frankly, some of the later stuff he's done just isn't that funny. There's a line between funny and downright annoying. It was funny at first, when pranks were just in the background and the actors didn't interfere with the reporters directly. I'm not a reporter, but knowing several, I'm not impressed to see these guys go up and butt their way into a liveshot with the reporter. Just let people do their job. As an ex-producer, he should know that most of these reporters are just accepting orders from the top, and he should just back off and let them do their jobs.

But, like any group of antagonists... attention from the media is just fuel for their fire. When the newspapers and other media finally take the spotlight away, these guys will grow up and get on with their lives.

To the Barricade!

> But, like any group of antagonists... attention from the
> media is just fuel for their fire. When the newspapers and
> other media finally take the spotlight away, these guys will
> grow up and get on with their lives.

Come now, haven't you noticed the sweeping changes in the broadcast industry because of their noble campaign? People are really taking notice, are changing their viewing habits, and are demanding more from the media because of their protests. Such a revolution in the media is certainly worth an education and a career. Their parents must be proud.

Re: To the Barricade!

> Come now, haven't you noticed the sweeping changes in the
> broadcast industry because of their noble campaign? People
> are really taking notice, are changing their viewing habits,
> and are demanding more from the media because of their
> protests. Such a revolution in the media is certainly worth
> an education and a career. Their parents must be proud.
>
In a way I understand why they did what they did at the start...the vapid nature of most of the content of broadcast "news" today has reached a level I don't even think Paddy Chayevsky's acid-dipped imagination could fathom when he wrote "Network" 30 years ago.

But the irony is, Newsbreakers have basically evolved into just another burlesque within the overall burlesque that TV news has become. It's hard to satirize something that constantly satirizes itself.

Disrupting TV News Live Shots

Of course, mostly in New York City, fans of Opie and Anthony have been disrupting TV news live shots for quite some time now.

One such incident resulted in then-WCBS-2 reporter Arthur Chien losing his cool, yelling a four-letter obscenity live-on-the-air at the Opie and Anthony fans who disrupted his live shot. WCBS subsequently fired Chien.

Re: Disrupting TV News Live Shots

> Of course, mostly in New York City, fans of Opie and Anthony
> have been disrupting TV news live shots for quite some time
> now.
>
> One such incident resulted in then-WCBS-2 reporter Arthur
> Chien losing his cool, yelling a four-letter obscenity
> live-on-the-air at the Opie and Anthony fans who disrupted
> his live shot. WCBS subsequently fired Chien.

It's really too bad that these kinds of things happen. Opie & Anthony get their laughs, while this poor guy's kicked out on the street. Sure, he should have tried harder to maintain his cool, but he shouldn't have to deal with that crap. Nor should any other reporter who's been interfered with by O&A fans or by Newsbreakers.

If broadcasting schools are smart, they should include this topic in their reporting classes... making students aware of pranksters who prank liveshots so they can be prepared to handle such incidents without blowing up. Perhaps stations should also form policies where liveshots will be terminated immediately at the first sign of hijinks. Forget about a reporter swearing on the air... what do you do when a group of rowdy college students decide to yell an obscenity, or when some daring woman decides to stand in the background and flash the camera?

Seeing as how many TV stations use the over-air signal as their monitors at liveshots, it can be assumed that there is no delay in place. Heck, the fact that these pranks GET on the air are proof -- if there was a delay, we wouldn't see any of these incidents because the delay would have been dumped. Every time a TV station does a liveshot without a delay, in a place where the general public is present... the station is risking a lot more than just the reporter slipping a bad word.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom