• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

June PPM's

BRENT said:
This is an utter nightmare of a market if your not black and 12.

No this is an utter nightmare for the typical, small-town mindset, Americo-centric person. San Francisco Bay Area and Washington DC are both similar to Atlanta, and ironically world cities with significant non-white populations as well.

I figured 106.7 would take a dive after the flip. But, it is a new format. Give them some time. Merlin's stations in NY and Chicago need to go. They're killing themselves.

kilamanjero said:
On the Atlanta radio, it's an urban and crossover music listener's paradise. You have a full-service urban, 2 urban adult contemporary stations, 1 mainstream urban, and an urban contemporary gospel station. Also if you like crossover music there is Wild. It's an interesting and funny market for the nightlife crowd, and a disappointing one for the typical listeners found in most other radio markets...

Like I said a few weeks ago, Atlanta has become an incredibly stratified market. Urban formats go straight to the top of the ratings heap. The next tier of serious competition is the mainstream pop stations - Star 94, Q100, B98.5 and arguably The Fish. The rest are mostly fighting for Arbitron leftovers at this point.

ksradiogeek said:
I figured 106.7 would take a dive after the flip. But, it is a new format. Give them some time. Merlin's stations in NY and Chicago need to go. They're killing themselves.

1.0 is a pretty impressive start compared to the Merlin News stations as well as the new All News stations that lanuched in DC and Houston.

WYAY really has their act together with this one.

TheMusicMan said:
kilamanjero said:
On the Atlanta radio, it's an urban and crossover music listener's paradise. You have a full-service urban, 2 urban adult contemporary stations, 1 mainstream urban, and an urban contemporary gospel station. Also if you like crossover music there is Wild. It's an interesting and funny market for the nightlife crowd, and a disappointing one for the typical listeners found in most other radio markets...

Like I said a few weeks ago, Atlanta has become an incredibly stratified market. Urban formats go straight to the top of the ratings heap. The next tier of serious competition is the mainstream pop stations - Star 94, Q100, B98.5 and arguably The Fish. The rest are mostly fighting for Arbitron leftovers at this point.

There is no doubt about that.

It's kind of strange Atlanta has surpassed multi-ethnic Miami as the South's nightlife capital and home to the eclectic urban-crossover stations. 20 years ago, WEDR "99 Jamz" was like "V-103", an urban mystery on the radio dial with its full-service urban format that included soca and reggae music mixed into its typical R&B, hip-hop, and old school playlist. However, Cox killed that variety about 10 years ago.

kilamanjero said:
TheMusicMan said:
kilamanjero said:

There is no doubt about that.

It's kind of strange Atlanta has surpassed multi-ethnic Miami as the South's nightlife capital and home to the eclectic urban-crossover stations. 20 years ago, WEDR "99 Jamz" was like "V-103", an urban mystery on the radio dial with its full-service urban format that included soca and reggae music mixed into its typical R&B, hip-hop, and old school playlist. However, Cox killed that variety about 10 years ago.
I liked WGUN's short-lived old-skool playlist... :(

BRENT said:
I did too Jabba, in fact I was a regular listener.
And it sounded great--best sounding AM station I have heard in a LONG while. At least before they powered down for the night.

atlantaboy said:
If Wild really wants to compete against Q100, IMO they've gotta tone down the dance thing, and try a more mainstream approach like Channel 96.1 in Charlotte - but be more cutting-edge and energetic than Q100 is - then, if ratings start to trend up into the 4.0 range, move it to a better signal

I'm sorry, but although I haven't been saying anything, I must admit I slightly disagree with this, too. But at the same time, I'm not sure if I disagree enough to provide a full counter-argument.

I believe that if they were on a bigger signal all this time, they'd easily be right up with Q100, on the verge of being at the point where they are sometimes beating and sometimes not beating them every other month in monthly ratings. Either that, or close to it. Whether or not they should go more mainstream, .......................... I'm not sure about that. They've already "mainstreamed out" a lot. With Q100, B98.5, and Star 94 already on the other end of the spectrum, I think WiLD is fine where it is. However, it still seems as if something is missing in between. If WiLD goes anymore mainstream, then that would leave a bigger gap between pop and urban. Maybe one day Q100 will tweak to become a full service top 40 format sound if WiLD and Q are to be the only CHR's in town.

But with the oldies situation now, I don't think we have room to discuss Top 40 here anymore!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom