• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jillian Barberie Vents About Edwards’ 20th Celebration Snub

Yesterday (5/12), Steve Edwards celebrated 20 years at LA FOX owned station KTTV.

The celebration didn’t include former co-anchors Jillian Barberie or Dorothy Lucey.

Barberie spent a good part of her KABC radio show talking about the snub. “Dorothy and I were there for 18 of those 20 years. Did they show a clip of us? Nuh-uh.” Barberie later claimed KTTV edited the two of them out of videos shown on the show.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/jillian...ce=tvspy&utm_campaign=dailynewsletter20150513

I wasn't a big fan of Jillian Barberie (at times, I thought she was bit obnoxious and too much into herself), but she was a big part of that show along with Edwards and Lucey; at times, she was arguably the most notable personality of Good Day L.A. I believe she's been back on Good Day L.A. at least once or twice since she and Lucey were fired, but she should have been included.

I thought that the new replacements on Good Day L.A. would have been better, but they sometimes make me want to change over to KTLA, or skip the morning news altogether.,

It seems like TV stations, in particular, like to revise their history when selecting clips and comments for anniversary celebrations. I recall that the 60th anniversary of KTLA - which contained a lot of clips from their news programs - featured the then-still-alive Hal Fishman, but had nothing on George Putnam, who was a big part of their history (KTTV's too) and probably delivered the highest news ratings KTLA has had before or since. I'd speculate that Putnam - being very "old school" in style, and out-front about his conservative views - represented something KTLA would rather have people forget.

It seems like TV stations, in particular, like to revise their history when selecting clips and comments for anniversary celebrations. I recall that the 60th anniversary of KTLA - which contained a lot of clips from their news programs - featured the then-still-alive Hal Fishman, but had nothing on George Putnam, who was a big part of their history (KTTV's too) and probably delivered the highest news ratings KTLA has had before or since. I'd speculate that Putnam - being very "old school" in style, and out-front about his conservative views - represented something KTLA would rather have people forget.

...it's probably worth recalling that, when Putnam quit KTLA for the last time, he was very embittered towards Fishman, and that could have led to Fishman scratching Putnam off the show. Then again, when the unabashedly more liberal Alex Dreier died, did KTTV give him much of an obit? His tagline on KTTV's 10:00 News in 1967 -- directly against Putnam on KTLA -- was "News That IS News!," a sharp dig at Putnam's habit of expressing his own opinions as part of the news stories...

I used to enjoy listening to George Putnam's talk show in his later years on KRLA 870. George was in a movie shown yesterday on TCM called, "I Want to Live". Oddly enough, he played George Putnam, newsman.

Bronx

I used to watch Steve, Jillian & Dorothy on Good Day L.A. every morning. Now with just Steve and a show that plays out like a tabloid show it's KTLA for me.

When GDLA went national and dropped D&L the show got canned and went back to LA only with D&L back.

Oh, screw it! If I have KTLA channel 11 can suck it. :p

Jillian Barbierre-Reynolds-Barbierre's behavior and reaction to the "snub" is evidence of why leaving her out of the reunion show was justified. Why would they want to bring back a bitter, negative, personality to spoil the affair? This chick was known for her huge ego and diva personality. Don't forget by the time they got the axed, Jillian and Dorothy were barely on speaking terms. Jillian is now suffering from the after effects of her fallen star. As the female TV personalities age they find life is significantly more difficult because they don't have any talents to fall back on. There is always a younger gal waiting in the wings, who has a larger firmer bust and fewer facial wrinkles. In the meantime the guys (Steve Edwards) are allowed to age like fine wine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom