• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"Jersey Boys"

John Mack Flanagan

Inactive
Inactive User
If you haven't seen "Jersey Boys" the broadway show of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, do yourself a favor and go see it! I saw it from the 4th row last Wednesday night and I can't stop thinking about it. I just added "Save It For Me" to my ipod. Killer song with a classic organ riff. ... This morning in the San Francisco Chronicle Steve Winn has written a dynamite piece on "Jersy Boys" and the new "Dream Girls" movie. It's called "The Music We All Miss" about how powerful Top 40 music was in its day. Of course he doesn't mention disc jockey's but is that anything new? The first thing I learned in Radio when I started is: Disc Jockey's are Dog Meat. But I believed in myself and the audience and lasted 36 years two months. Now I'm starting to see things come around. Time has a way of higlighting things. Suddenly the music (Four Seasons, Supremes) is becoming powerful again. I know Disc Jockey's are dead, but just being a part of something that touched lives, touches me. I'm a New Mexico Poor Boy not a "Jersy Boy" but their music and show means the world to me. I was blown away last Wednesday, and I still am. -John-

John Mack Flanagan said:
I know Disc Jockey's are dead, but just being a part of something that touched lives, touches me. I'm a New Mexico Poor Boy not a "Jersy Boy" but their music and show means the world to me. I was blown away last Wednesday, and I still am. -John-

You are right on the money! Terrestrial radio has been selling itself short for the last 20 years on the importance of the radio personality (DJ). The Oldies board is always talking about playlists, testing, cousultants, etc. Never a mention about the DJ. We've all got the music on Cds, iPods, etc. We don't (or didn't) listen to the radio for the music. We listened to hear the DJs tell us about the music.

and we've heard every single little tidbit of song & artist trivia ad nauseum for the past 20 yrs

as much as oldies stations get ripped for repetition with the music, same goes for DJ content. most oldies listeners have heard their fill of top 5 countdowns, on this day in rock n' roll history and who wrote what by who since the late eighties

radiofriend1 said:
and we've heard every single little tidbit of song & artist trivia ad nauseum for the past 20 yrs

as much as oldies stations get ripped for repetition with the music, same goes for DJ content. most oldies listeners have heard their fill of top 5 countdowns, on this day in rock n' roll history and who wrote what by who since the late eighties

Then I guess that there really is no hope for terrestrial music radio.

oh, so yer saying if we don't have oldies stations with djs who repeatedly give out old & word trivia tidbits their listeners have heard over & over again that terrestrial radio is dead?

radiofriend1 said:
oh, so yer saying if we don't have oldies stations with djs who repeatedly give out old & word trivia tidbits their listeners have heard over & over again that terrestrial radio is dead?

Read the post carefully. I'm saying that terrestrial MUSIC radio is dying.

TheFonz said:
radiofriend1 said:

but u said that in response to my post about old & tired oldies dj content. that is the conclusion u came to

radiofriend1 said:
TheFonz said:
radiofriend1 said:

but u said that in response to my post about old & tired oldies dj content. that is the conclusion u came to

It's as good a guess as any. Apparently radio hasn't figured out the problem.

REALLY???????

maybe it's me but i just can't hear a listener thinking "gee if they'd just one more time tell me who wrote that sam cooke song i'd keep listening to radio and forget satellite!!!"

c'mon

radiofriend1 said:
REALLY???????

maybe it's me but i just can't hear a listener thinking "gee if they'd just one more time tell me who wrote that sam cooke song i'd keep listening to radio and forget satellite!!!"

c'mon

You wouldn't hear that listener because that listener no longer listens to terrestrial radio.

TheFonz said:
radiofriend1 said:
REALLY???????

c'mon

You wouldn't hear that listener because that listener no longer listens to terrestrial radio.

well if u are that big a satellite radio fan pls. go listen to it and stop being annoying

radiofriend1 said:
well if u are that big a satellite radio fan pls. go listen to it and stop being annoying

If I annoy you, stop reading my posts. In case you haven't noticed, former terrestrial radio listeners are choosing many other sources for their music, not just satellite.

yeah.........................and???????

this happens with more choices. ask the car companies..............ask the big 3 tv nets.............ask mcdonalds............... this has been going on for a couple of decades now.

again if U like satellite, go 4 it. if your point is that terrestrial radio sucks, to U it does. but the # listening to satellite is still a tiny fraction of who's tuning in to am and fm stations.

I believe someone touched a nerve here, but opened a teriffic possibility for an adult dialogue. That, my internet radio junkies, is traditional radio (I hate "Terrestrial") has one leg up on ANYTHING else...personality and localism. (Does that count as two selections?)

Only traditional radio (as long as it's not owned by CC) is giving local news, local wx, time, events of the community, traffic, school closings, requests, High School Football.

After a brief connection with local radio, both my sons, 18 & 21, had abandoned the outlet for a decade or so. As a radioman since '73, I was quietly ashamed. It is not until recently that they have seen the light, and now love local radio. The oldest tunes in for R&B/oldies (loves wideband AM), jazz and classical on local LPFMs and College signals. The younger oscillates for new rock music and hip-hop. The oldest also finally admitted he get's lonely in the car at night, and the local DJ's are a nice companion. And isn't THAT what radio is all about?

sock hops and malt shops were nice at one time, too

time- u can't change it. and if we are in denial about change and choices we will be left behind

radiofriend1 said:
REALLY???????

c'mon

What a ____. YOu argue about anything.

Then what are they supposed to talk abuot? They talk too much about current events, and they're told to pipe it down, as one told me. Just time and temp, I guess.

Someone like The Fonz who actually cares about your field (as opposed to you, right) and you go after the jugular.

doug said:
radiofriend1 said:
REALLY???????

c'mon

What a ____. YOu argue about anything.

Then what are they supposed to talk abuot? They talk too much about current events, and they're told to pipe it down, as one told me. Just time and temp, I guess.

Someone like The Fonz who actually cares about your field (as opposed to you, right) and you go after the jugular.

we're all suppsed to be big boys here. if u can stand the heat...................

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom