• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

January 2017 Boston Radio Ratings.

740 doesn't PPM encode. Back in the last of the diary years, it often got around a 1 share 12+, and were in the top five in its target 60+ demo.

good showings in the paper diaries didn't do 740 any favors, IIRC there was some discussion about royalty payments being based on the book.

maybe that is why they are not encoded now..... Bob?

There are quite a few examples. Start with the may commercial news/talk stations that may be Top 5 in 12+ that are not even Top 10 in 25-54.

I didn't say impossible, I said rare and uncommon (and sometimes extenuating circumstances), and I'll stick with that.

Plus, a station being #5 12+ and #11 25-54 is not "at the top of the 6+ ratings and at the bottom of the 25-54 demo".

Last edited:
I didn't say impossible, I said rare and uncommon, and I'll stick with that.

plus, a station being #5 12+ and #11 25-54 is not "at the top of the 6+ ratings and at the bottom of the 25-54 demo"

Using multi book averages, there are plenty of examples like WGN in Chicago... #5 in 12+ and #20 in 25-54. Or WBZ, #4 in 12+ and #14 in 25-54.

Indeed, this was the problem all Soft Jazz stations started having about 10 years ago. High market rank, and 25-54 ratings outside the top 10 and outside the "buy depth" for the market.

Then there are the sports stations that are frequently outside the top 10, but in the top two or three in 25-54 men and even higher in revenues.

Not rare or uncommon...

Using multi book averages, there are plenty of examples like WGN in Chicago... #5 in 12+ and #20 in 25-54. Or WBZ, #4 in 12+ and #14 in 25-54.

Not rare or uncommon...

Yes, rare and uncommon, but not impossible, as happens in certain circumstances...like stations with ultra top heavy 65+ listeners.

Last edited:

Right!

Taking the Oct-Nov-Dec three book average in 25-54, we see WBUR with a 4.3 and WRKO with a 0.8.

When we look at 12+ numbers, WBUR goes down a couple of ticks, but WRKO nearly quadruples... because most of their audience is over 55.

Very true, it all depends on who their target is and if they are able to profit from that. They come in top 10 in the 35-64 demo. So I wouldn't say it's ALL 55+, but 50% or more yes, and that's ok. "Baby boomers" are quite active these days and they spend money too. From what I hear RKO is not only meeting, but exceeding their budget. I wouldn't count out RKO as a valid competitor in the market.

Last edited:
Ratings for Kuhner triple those that Rush was giving RKO, but, with syndication, most stations that go against rush and would potentially take him, simply don't have the money to pay for a show. Even if you have a story. It's all about $$$

Last edited:
Without advertising...but without the albatross of the AM band that no one under 60 seems to even know exists. Not to mention that WGBH radio has access to the resources of WGBH-TV.

Stale, aging, stagnant....and operating under the limitations of an AM station without access to demo's under 60.

Kuhner came in 9th with men 25-54 and Howie came in 6th .... pretty sure those people are under the age of 60.

Kuhner came in 9th with men 25-54 and Howie came in 6th

....pretty sure those people are under the age of 60.

I don't think 9th in 25-54 men is anything to brag about....not something advertisers are rushing to. I am guessing spots are at a deep discount on Khuners show.

While I have a hard time believing that being 6th in men 25-54 is driving advertisers to pay a premium for Howie, it shows he is the one thing that is relevant on that radio station.

I don't think 9th in 25-54 men is anything to brag about....not something advertisers are rushing to. I am guessing spots are at a deep discount on Khuners show.

While I have a hard time believing that being 6th in men 25-54 is driving advertisers to pay a premium for Howie, it shows he is the one thing that is relevant on that radio station.

I have to disagree on that one Wimmmex. Being in the top 15 of "anything" 25-54 is a big deal for any AM station these days especially one that was dead in the water two years ago. Maybe you are just perpetually grumpy, but breaking a 3.0 share 6+ and the top 10 in 25-54 men with Kuhner and Howie is a damn big deal.

....and the top 10 in 25-54 men with Kuhner....is a damn big deal.

To who? Advertisers? I don't think being #9 with men 25-54 is changing any advertisers minds.....but that's just me. ;-)

Maybe you are just perpetually grumpy,

Guilty as charged. I have been called that a few times....and a few worse things to.

In any event, it's my $.02....and I'm not even sure it's worth that. lol!

;-)

Being in the top 15 of "anything" 25-54 is a big deal for any AM station these days especially one that was dead in the water two years ago.... breaking a 3.0 share 6+ and the top 10 in 25-54 men with Kuhner and Howie is a damn big deal.

I have to agree ... the fact that they are not dolla a holla is amazing to me.

dead in the water assumes they were afloat, or floating. I thought they were sinking like the Titanic having Kuhner at the helm, with Barry and Kim playing in the band.....

If they are indeed making or exceeding budget it is truly a miracle

I have to agree ... the fact that they are not dolla a holla is amazing to me.

I was told that you could get a spot on Howie Carr's aft-drive show on WRKO for $90-100

I have to imagine that based on the ratings quoted above, the rest of the station is less than that.

What do you think it takes to get a spot on Kuhner's show?

I have to disagree on that one Wimmmex. Being in the top 15 of "anything" 25-54 is a big deal for any AM station these days especially one that was dead in the water two years ago. Maybe you are just perpetually grumpy, but breaking a 3.0 share 6+ and the top 10 in 25-54 men with Kuhner and Howie is a damn big deal.

Most older-leaning AM news talk stations depend on local direct accounts for much of their revenue. They do not do transactional, ratings-based selling. Because the format allows for greater commercial loads than FM music stations can carry, they make up for lower rates by selling more spots.

The higher spot load explains why WRKO is in a similar billing range with stations ike WBOS, WBQT and WXRV despite having much lower 35-54 ratings. The sort of clients stations like WRKO are able to attract are not as driven by agency sales demographics.

Most older-leaning AM news talk stations depend on local direct accounts for much of their revenue. The sort of clients stations like WRKO are able to attract are not as driven by agency sales demographics.

Like Chamonix and "The Chop House" in Manchester! ;-)

I thought they were sinking like the Titanic having Kuhner at the helm, with Barry and Kim playing in the band.....

All I ever seem to hear for commercials when I tune in to RKO are: a) Than Merrill telling me he wants me to be part of his REAL ESTATE INVESTING TEAM; b) Bill Kelly selling his insomnia cure; and c) various ads from companies who want to make me BIGGER and more POWERFUL, with more DRIVE and STAMINA and oh yeah, the "ladies" will really like it too (these are really amusing on Krazy K0000000nah's show, given his numerous public announcements about what a big Christian he is... and, as we all know Christians (well, catholics at least) aren't permitted to have (or enjoy) sex.

We could ask Bill Kelley..... it seems he bought most of the inventory.

I lol'd at this big time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom