• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

It sounded like a commercial

I was on WRBK Richburg SC on the way home from the beach and heard what sounded like a commercial to me. I don't remember enough details. Maybe the station streams and I can get lucky and find another example and post the details.

But whatever they did had locations and descriptions of advantages of doing business with them, in a way that sure sounded like a crossed a line.

But whatever they did had locations and descriptions of advantages of doing business with them, in a way that sure sounded like a crossed a line.

You can give the address and phone number. You can describe their services. The only no-no is making a call to action. "Stop in and buy some."

The only way you can do a full fledged commercial on a non-commercial station is if it is for a non-profit. It seems the FCC is okay with a call to action, comparative statements, prices, etc. if it is for a not for profit entity.

Even at our little 50 watt LPFM in central NH we've had the "call-to-action" issue crop up a couple of times......
We have to 'revise" copy from supporters when it comes in......
"....Call us at:" changes to "...Our number is:...."
".....Visit us on the Web at:......" changes to ".....more info online at:....."
Some of the phrasing is hard to "catch" and modify......!!

That is true about the fines. Luckily for small public stations and LPFMs, the FCC usually adjusts fines, that while provide plenty of extreme financial pain, are capable of being paid unless the broadcaster is blatant. Then there's all the paperwork involved with any settlement.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom