• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is there any chance that Alpha Media updates its signals to HD Radio?

The obvious, HD radio (NRSC-5-D) significantly increases audio quality, as outlined by the FCC and Consumer Reports.

The stations with HD do better on lower heights and with less power, and as others have mentioned it helps with multipath.

Most importantly, the average listener cares about no static and if a signal sounds better they’ll flip to it more. They’re not actively seeking out the best audio quality but the night and day difference matters. If KMVQ dropped HD, I bet they’d start slipping in market share to KYLD.
With current smartphone ownership being at 92%, it seems like HD Radio is like chasing a rainbow to get a seat! :unsure:

Most importantly, the average listener cares about no static and if a signal sounds better they’ll flip to it more. They’re not actively seeking out the best audio quality but the night and day difference matters.
Static is an AM phenomenon. There is no static on FM. It seems, though, that the definition of "static" has been expanded by some to include any type of noise on both AM and FM bands.

If KMVQ dropped HD, I bet they’d start slipping in market share to KYLD.
First, about half of all listening is not in cars and there are so few home/work radios with HD we can say that there are "none". So it makes no difference there. Second, HD is only in a relatively small percentage of all vehicles on the road, so operating without HD will likely have zero effect on ratings.

I already mentioned KKRV. KTFM and KKUU are supposed to feed translators but their HD subchannels are off as of the last update.

Good point. It looks like all of them except for KINK had HD prior to Alpha's acquisition. It solidifies what I said above about Alpha not being big on HD, so what I'm thinking is with the exception of KINK, they maintain the status quo on stations they acquire. If it already has HD, they keep it going; if not, it probably won't as long as Alpha owns it.
KTFM HD1, 2 & 3 are back on.

Back
Top Bottom