• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

IS KXEG(AM) 1280 dead?

hmmmm...maybe Vic Michaels (aka the King of Translators) will make a deal...

I'll have you know I read that in the voice of JJ The King of Beepers.

Why? Because I'm Vic! I'm the own-ner, and I'm the King of Translators!

activation required.

It appears that KXEG is back on the air, simulcasting Vic Michael's KRKY (just like KPHX did) with an STA using the same Vic Michael wire antenna on Shaw Butte he helped KPHX get back on the air with.

It appears that KXEG is back on the air, simulcasting Vic Michael's KRKY (just like KPHX did) with an STA using the same Vic Michael wire antenna on Shaw Butte he helped KPHX get back on the air with.

From the FCC Filing

escription: ENVIRONMENTAL COMPLIANCE

KXEG(AM) PROPOSES TO OPERATE WITH A TEMPORARY LONG WIRE ANTENNA SUPPORTED BY AN EXISTING 90 FOOT TALL (27.4 METERS) GUYED, NON-REGISTERED TOWER LOCATED ON SHAW BUTTE. THIS IS A PRIVATELY OWNED TOWER SITE AND NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC AND BEHIND A LOCKED GATE. THE GROUNDED END OF THE LONG WIRE ANTENNA WILL BE ELEVATED 10 FEET ABOUT THE GROUND LEVEL SO NO HUMAN CONTACT CAN BE MADE. ALSO, THE PROPOSED OPERATING POWER WILL BE APPROXIMATELY 90 WATTS, THUS BELOW THE 100 WATTS OF POWER FOR ENVIRONMENTAL CONSIDERATION.
Attachment 15

Exhibit 16
Description: REASON FOR ENGINEERING STA

THE INSTANT REQUEST FOR AN ENGINEERING STA IS PART OF A COMBINED EFFORT TO RESTORE KXEG(AM), PHOENIX, ARIZONA (FACILITY ID. NO. 10975) AND K241CS, PHOENIX, ARIZONA (FACILITY ID. NO. 156046) TO OPERATIONS PRIOR TO THE ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THE STATIONS REMAINING SILENT, THEREBY SERVING THE PUBLIC INTEREST.

ON JANUARY 7, 2020 THE SUPERIOR COURT OF ARIZONA, MARICOPA COUNTY APPROVED APPOINTMENT OF STEPHAN C. SLOAN OF MEDIA SERVICES GROUP AS THE RECEIVER FOR KXEG AND K241CS AND TO TAKE SUCH ACTIONS AS MAY BE NECESSARY TO PRESERVE THE STATIONS' LICENSES. PRESENTLY KXEG AND K241CS ARE SILENT. THE FILING OF THIS ENGINEERING STA IS CONSISTENT WITH THE SUPERIOR COURT ORDER IN THAT APPROVAL OF THE STA WILL ALLOW KXEG AND K241CS TO RESUME OPERATIONS, THEREBY AVOIDING THE AUTOMATIC FORFEITURE OF THE LICENSES PURSUANT TO SECTION 312(G).

SEPARATELY TODAY APPLICATIONS FOR PRO FORMA ASSIGNMENT OF LICENSES OF KXEG AND K241CS TO THE RECEIVER ARE BEING FILED WITH THE FCC.

KXEG(AM) PHOENIX, ARIZONA, FACILITY ID 10975, SEEKS TO OPERATE WITH A TEMPORARY LONG WIRE TYPE ANTENNA SYSTEM FROM AN EXISTING TOWER SITE ON SHAW BUTTE, IN PHOENIX, ARIZONA. KXEG SEEKS TO OPERATE WITH A 120 FOOT LONG WIRE ANTENNA WHICH WILL BE APPROXIMATELY 56.2 DEGREES AT THE OPERATING FREQUENCY OF 1280 KHZ. 8 EQUALLY SPACED 170 FOOT LONG GROUND WIRES WILL BE PLACED ON THE GROUND AND TIED INTO EXISTING GROUNDING SYSTEMS AT THE TOWER SITE. AN ANTENNA TUNER UNIT WILL BE PLACE NEAR THE BASE OF THE LONG WIRE. THE BASE OF THE ANTENNA WILL BE ELEVATED 10 FEET ABOVE GROUND TO PREVENT ANY ACCIDENTAL HUMAN CONTACT WITH THE LIVE ANTENNA WIRES. SEE EXHIBIT 1 FOR A TOWER SKETCH. KXEG PROPOSES TO OPERATE DURING THE DAYTIME ONLY HOURS WITH APPROXIMATELY 90 WATTS UTILIZING A TYPE ACCEPTED ARMSTRONG 500 WATT SOLID STATE TRANSMITTER. THE TEMPORARY OPERATION WILL COVER THE CITY OF LICENSE WITH GREATER THAN 2 MV/M. SEE EXHIBIT 2 ATTACHED THE PREDICTED TEMPORARY SERVICE CONTOURS WITH THE CURRENT LICENSED DAYTIME CONTOUR FOR KXEG.
THE EXISTING TOWER SITE IS LOCATED AT THE NAD 27 COORDINATES OF N33-35-39, W112-05-08. NAD 83 COORDINATES ARE N33-35-39, W112-05-10

This also allows 96~One to resume its bipolar coverage of Phoenix. Zee Kinggg of Translators comes to the rescue of yet another failed Ancient Modulation station. Bet he's a bidder for 12~Eighty!

This also allows 96~One to resume its bipolar coverage of Phoenix. Zee Kinggg of Translators comes to the rescue of yet another failed Ancient Modulation station. Bet he's a bidder for 12~Eighty!

I was thinking that as I made my post, Doc.. I bet VM is gonna try and buy 1280

I was thinking that as I made my post, Doc.. I bet VM is gonna try and buy 1280

Where would he find a place for a permanent stick? He can’t “triplex” the station on the KSUN tower like he did KPHX, and I’m sure he doesn’t want to pay rent to Vertical Bridge (which owns many of the other towers suitable for 1280).

I know, he can do like his enemy John Low and put up one of those fiberglass Valcom whips.

Where would he find a place for a permanent stick? He can’t “triplex” the station on the KSUN tower like he did KPHX, and I’m sure he doesn’t want to pay rent to Vertical Bridge (which owns many of the other towers suitable for 1280).

Zee Kingg ran into a problem with his KSUN diplex plan and has now requested a modification to go non-D with 14~Eighty. Not the same stick, but a new and longer drop wire. Yes, 14~Eighty is kinda close to 14~Hundred for a diplex deal.

I know, he can do like his enemy John Low and put up one of those fiberglass Valcom whips.

There's always the possibility he can "whip it out" with a Valcom. Or strike a deal with TMISU and diplex from the WalMart parking lot at 38th St & Thomas. Because the sale of 12~Eighty requires BK approval, the Nurse and I don't think he'll be able to get the kind of deal he made for KPHX. Previous owner Molina made his money on the sale of land.. not the license, which went for a paltry $100k.

Zee Kingg ran into a problem with his KSUN diplex plan and has now requested a modification to go non-D with 14~Eighty. Not the same stick, but a new and longer drop wire. Yes, 14~Eighty is kinda close to 14~Hundred for a diplex deal.

There's always the possibility he can "whip it out" with a Valcom. Or strike a deal with TMISU and diplex from the WalMart parking lot at 38th St & Thomas. Because the sale of 12~Eighty requires BK approval, the Nurse and I don't think he'll be able to get the kind of deal he made for KPHX. Previous owner Molina made his money on the sale of land.. not the license, which went for a paltry $100k.

1400 and 1480 is typically too close, i was once told you need 160khz of space between two stations for a diplex, BUT ive heard of it being done.

I worked for a company that owned a 1600 and 1680.. and im pretty certain that not onyl shared a tower site, but share a tower

But doing it that close is expensive.. and we know Vic doesnt like to spend alot of money

1400 and 1480 is typically too close, i was once told you need 160khz of space between two stations for a diplex, BUT ive heard of it being done.

I worked for a company that owned a 1600 and 1680.. and im pretty certain that not onyl shared a tower site, but share a tower

But doing it that close is expensive.. and we know Vic doesnt like to spend alot of money

For what it's worth, Apache Junction move-ins 1260 and 1340 use the same Valcom whip, and you know how that's working out for them!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom