• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is KING Still Locked Out Of DirecTV? (Retrans Dispute)

I'm stuck on the East Coast unwilling to travel West since the pandemic started. Is KING still locked out for DirecTV viewers? The TEGNA station in DC (WUSA) still is.

One of our research folks were telling me this morning that all of TEGNA stations were, but I figured there would be rampant outrage being expressed on this board if KING was still locked out.

I'm stuck on the East Coast unwilling to travel West since the pandemic started. Is KING still locked out for DirecTV viewers? The TEGNA station in DC (WUSA) still is.

One of our research folks were telling me this morning that all of TEGNA stations were, but I figured there would be rampant outrage being expressed on this board if KING was still locked out.
O

Ke

Kelly, why don’t you rent a car and make the cross country drive? You get to hear a lot of bad radio along the way!
Don't need to rent a car, have plenty of my own. The drive takes me about 2.5 days. Have done it at least ten times both ways. I've found the I-81 route into Portland is better than I-90. Even if I drove, would still have to make fuel, food, and bathroom stops along the way. That's close to the same risk as getting on some airliner with 200+ people who are constantly removing their masks.

I already have an account with NetJets. If I really needed to get West for something urgent, I can get there in about five hours, including a drive to my local airport. Watching local TV in the Seattle area doesn't count as urgent.

Now KIRO-TV is locked out of DirecTV. What many DirecTV customers don't realize is the fact that demanding coverage of local stations will only lead to a higher satellite bill at the end of the month.

If I could ever be convinced legislators gave a 1% crap about media policy, I'd sure be lobbying that cable/dish subscriptions should be based on customized channel packages. If you buy a 20-channel package (where you choose the channels) you would be on-the-hook for the re-trans fees for just those channels. I wouldn't have to pay huge ESPN fees because I never watch it...same with Fox News...wouldn't have to feel like I'm passively "supporting" it. Think that approach would also eliminate all these disputes we deal with every year....

If I could ever be convinced legislators gave a 1% crap about media policy, I'd sure be lobbying that cable/dish subscriptions should be based on customized channel packages. If you buy a 20-channel package (where you choose the channels) you would be on-the-hook for the re-trans fees for just those channels. I wouldn't have to pay huge ESPN fees because I never watch it...same with Fox News...wouldn't have to feel like I'm passively "supporting" it. Think that approach would also eliminate all these disputes we deal with every year....
I completely agree. Of course, it would probably never happen, especially in a world where most channels are owned by four companies (all of which demand that their main networks are carried). I have one of the lowest tier Comcast packages at my house, with only the basic cable channels and an ancient cable box, and somehow that is worth $80 per month. It makes complete sense why so many people are cutting the cord these days.

I wouldn't have to pay huge ESPN fees because I never watch it...same with Fox News...wouldn't have to feel like I'm passively "supporting" it.
Or the: (new) My Pillow-Channel, Scientology Channel, Shop HQ Channel, Getit Channel, Wow Channel, Idea Channel, Deals Channel, Mall Channel, Crave, Cash, IACHD, XTRA (not a Mexican radio station), Look Channel, ESPNU, Shop LC, Jewelry Channel, RT America, GAC (Great American Country), CLEOTV, BYUTV, AWE Channel, Just to name a few..

Not in most states, but for those that have bars open, the ESPN U channel can be useful...
But all of those infomercial channels need to go. IDEA, GET-IT, CRAVE, MALL, blah blah blah. It's insane how many infomercial channels are on DirecTV.
There will be angry people all over western Washington if KIRO's dispute does not get under control before Sunday morning, with the Super Bowl around the corner.

There will be angry people all over western Washington if KIRO's dispute does not get under control before Sunday morning, with the Super Bowl around the corner.
That's what CBS is counting on. Worse than holding a gun to AT&T's collective head.

As of today (Sunday), KIRO-TV is back on DirecTV following a multiyear agreement. I'm sure that higher service bills will be coming down the pike soon.

In time for the Super Bowl earlier tonight, thank goodness. Albeit even I was a little surprised on how much Tom Brady and the Bucs dominated this one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom