• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Infinity Returns Oldies to Chicago on second channel

How many stations can be operated on one frequency? I understand that you have to have hd radio to receive it.

> How many stations can be operated on one frequency? I
> understand that you have to have hd radio to receive it.
>
who is going hear it?
how are the djs going to get paid and stay around?<P ID="signature">______________

"I'll see you Left of the Dial!"</P>

> how are the djs going to get paid?
>

If you find a magical answer to that one, please let us all know! Oh, you meant for the HD channel. *grin*

> How many stations can be operated on one frequency? I
> understand that you have to have hd radio to receive it.

A variation of FM IBOC allows two program streams to be transmitted on the digital signal. Apparently some NPR stations are using this concept to multicast a News/Public Affairs/Talk format along with, say full time Classical or Jazz. Might not be a bad idea for a station such as KUHF, once HD receivers become more commonplace (whenever that is.)

> A variation of FM IBOC allows two program streams to be
> transmitted on the digital signal. Apparently some NPR
> stations are using this concept to multicast a News/Public
> Affairs/Talk format along with, say full time Classical or
> Jazz. Might not be a bad idea for a station such as KUHF,
> once HD receivers become more commonplace (whenever that
> is.)

I'm told that KUHF will do something like this (the project is called "Tomorrow Radio" at NPR) when they go IBOC. NPR is on the bleeding edge of multicasting - other than the two Infinity FM's in Chicago the only ones I know that are doing alternate program streams are all public radio stations.<P ID="signature">______________
...co-moderator of the Satellite Radio, Phoenix, and San Diego boards...</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom