• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Independent/MY TV affiliates / Entertainment TV stations

With the recently KDOC-TV 56 (Anaheim/Los Angeles) acquired by TCT Media and switch to Religious/Christian programming and KOFY TV (San Francisco) drop their independent syndication programs and become a full time of GRIT TV. Will the independent (non religious/non ethnic, English language) and current MY Network TV affiliate (without being a second METV/Antennas/etc affiliate) with syndication program survived in the future?

So far I know these TV stations that drop their syndicated programs and become a fulltime subnetwork affiliate (ME TV, Antenna TV, This TV, COZI-TV, etc.) or becoming a religious station or switch language.

KDOC TV 56 Anaheim/Los Angeles - Independent switch to TCT
KAIL TV 7 Fresno - MNT switch to TCT (intellectual property moved to LPTV as KMSG)
KOFY TV 20 San Francisco - Independent switch to Grit TV fulltime
KUBE TV 57 Baytown/Houston - Independent switch to SHOP-HQ affiliate
KTXD TV 47 Greenville/Dallas - Independent switch to Stadium affiliate
KNSN TV 21 Reno - MNT move to secondary and drop all syndicate programs and switch to Sports Programing.

Any others?

KSCI used to be a foreign language station that showed programs in languages like Tagalog, Chinese, Japanese and Korean. First they went to almost all English language infomercials. Only showing a few hours of K-dramas a day. Then they went to full Shop HQ.

KSCI used to be a foreign language station that showed programs in languages like Tagalog, Chinese, Japanese and Korean. First they went to almost all English language infomercials. Only showing a few hours of K-dramas a day. Then they went to full Shop HQ.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KSCI

WRNN associates owns stations like KSCI Los Angeles and KCNS San Francisco. The current owners decided to flip those stations to Shop HQ affiliates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRNN-TV

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KXLA

For Los Angeles some of the Chinese programming went to KVMD and KXLA, Vietnamese programming in KNLA. But who knows at this point if there are really people watching on those outlets given that in recent years there have been newer TV's that mainly pick up wifi signals and the viewers get their programming on apps. I'm not sure if it includes those channels specifically.

A lot depends on what was carried during other parts of the day. If the stations carried typical syndicated daytime shows they will probably carry more of the same at night. If they carry some diginet the rest of the day they'll just carry more of that.

I honestly would rather see a station carry a diginet (But no home shopping channels) full time rather than the trash talk, courtroom shows, and infomercials that make up too much of daytime TV now.

KDMI 19 in Des Moines use to be a This TV network then one day it was gone and switched to a TCT network. I don't even watch anything on that channel but I use to when we first got it and it was a this tv network.

Independent TV stations have been a dying business for decades now -- even though we didn't know it at the time, the launch of the Fox TV network in 1986 started the demise. It wasn't obvious, because those new Fox affiliates pretty much looked like regular independent stations outside the limited number of hours of Fox programming that they carried. That changed in 1995 when Fox moved its programming in a number of markets to established VHF stations that had been affiliated with the legacy "big three" networks -- and those stations definitely did fit the programming pattern of traditional independent stations. And with the launch of UPN and the WB that same year, there weren't actually all that many unaffiliated independent stations left. During this same period, the migration of kids' shows and movies to basic cable, independent stations lost much of those audiences. As off-network sitcoms increasingly showed up on basic cable, that audience also got diluted. So I'd say that even fifteen years ago the future of independent stations was looking more and more questionable.

Now, with so much programming available through streaming, basic cable, digi-nets, and even physical media there doesn't seem much left for independent stations to justify their existence. For those of us who have fond memories of these stations in their heyday, it's a sad thing to see. But memories of what once was don't pay the bills.

KTSF 26 San Francisco has to be one of the oldest TV stations that aired programming from Vietnam, Korea, Philippines, Japan, India and China.
Note they still do for now but then again how they adapt to the TV apps age is yet to be seen here. It is the NorCal version of how KSCI-TV used to be at one point. Only difference is that KTSF has done that the longest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KTSF

For now KTSF is streaming on the Vuit app.

WXMI Fox17 was the only true independent TV station when it signed on in 1982 which just celebrated 40 years on the air in March of this year. In the early days aired The Brady Bunch, Guillgan's Island, I Dream Of Genie JR was a nice guy and not a bad guy LOL, Punky Brewster, Babewatch oh I mean Baywatch from 90-99 Hawaii the last 2 seasons aired on WWMT, He-Man, My Little Pony, etc.

WXMI Fox17 was the only true independent TV station when it signed on in 1982 which just celebrated 40 years on the air in March of this year. In the early days aired The Brady Bunch, Guillgan's Island, I Dream Of Genie JR was a nice guy and not a bad guy LOL, Punky Brewster, Babewatch oh I mean Baywatch from 90-99 Hawaii the last 2 seasons aired on WWMT, He-Man, My Little Pony, etc.
Kdsm 17 was an independent when it signed on in 1983 as KCBR 17 the great entertainer, even with the switch to Fox in 1986 no fox shows premiered till spring 1987. They still continued to air classic shows well into the 90s. They aired shows like The Brady Bunch, Laverne and Shirley, Taxi, The Wild Wild West, Webster, Too Close for Comfort, Different strokes and so on with a few first run game shows like Hollywood Squares and Win, Lose or Draw. They aired The Andy Griffth Show for most of the 90s as one of the longest syndicated shows of the past.

With the recently KDOC-TV 56 (Anaheim/Los Angeles) acquired by TCT Media and switch to Religious/Christian programming and KOFY TV (San Francisco) drop their independent syndication programs and become a full time of GRIT TV. Will the independent (non religious/non ethnic, English language) and current MY Network TV affiliate (without being a second METV/Antennas/etc affiliate) with syndication program survived in the future?

So far I know these TV stations that drop their syndicated programs and become a fulltime subnetwork affiliate (ME TV, Antenna TV, This TV, COZI-TV, etc.) or becoming a religious station or switch language.

KDOC TV 56 Anaheim/Los Angeles - Independent switch to TCT
KAIL TV 7 Fresno - MNT switch to TCT (intellectual property moved to LPTV as KMSG)
KOFY TV 20 San Francisco - Independent switch to Grit TV fulltime
KUBE TV 57 Baytown/Houston - Independent switch to SHOP-HQ affiliate
KTXD TV 47 Greenville/Dallas - Independent switch to Stadium affiliate
KNSN TV 21 Reno - MNT move to secondary and drop all syndicate programs and switch to Sports Programing.

Any others?
I wish KUSI should affiliate with a network, they never had a chance to affiliate of launching new subchannels. I'm curious they never try to outbid either Fox/MNTV and CW affiliation especially in both 2008 and 2017.

I wish KUSI should affiliate with a network, they never had a chance to affiliate of launching new subchannels. I'm curious they never try to outbid either Fox/MNTV and CW affiliation especially in both 2008 and 2017.

There were actually a couple of attempts that KUSI tried in relation to acquiring the Fox affiliation for San Diego, only to be rebuffed both times.

In 1991, KUSI filed an appeal with the FCC for basically the same reason why XETV had to disaffiliate from ABC eighteen years prior--they didn't want an American-based network on a Mexican-licensed station.

To quote Mike McKinnon, still the present-day owner of KUSI...
“Before they go to a foreign station, if there is a station comparable, they should use the U.S. station first”

Fast-forward to 1996...just a few years after Fox acquired the NFL rights, KUSI files another appeal to the FCC for much of the same reasoning from five years earlier. Fox, and ABC before that, had to acquire annual waivers to have their programming on XETV, particularly as it came to live programming. Although XETV maintained its business operations and studios in San Diego, its programming was physically-transported to the transmitter site in Tijuana. I can't speak for the ABC years, but in Fox's first six-plus years as a network, it just had the two hours of primetime and the couple hours in daytime with the Fox Kids block...so enough turnaround time to get the programming on the air, at its scheduled time. Eventually, XETV got a direct network feed from Fox, and as a bit of a happy comprise in the meantime, KUSI acted as Fox's news-gathering resource for the San Diego market until XETV was able to launch their own news department, which launched in 1999.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom