• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Iheartmedia makes cuts Raleigh durham

Changes at WDCG (G105)/Raleigh:

I'm not sure if we would characterize this as a "cut" or simply a firing. WDCG once had such good ratings it also made the Greensboro book as well. Now G-105 is tied for #14 in Raleigh.

It probably isn't the morning team's fault and I feel badly whenever I hear someone has lost a gig. So many Top 40/CHR stations are struggling these days. But if the ship is sinking, you gotta throw some things overboard.

I think "cut" implies an owner is laying people off due to an economic downturn. Let's see if G-105 replaces them with an iHeart syndicated morning show (Elvis Duran, Kidd Kraddick, etc.) which would indicate it was a "cut." Or does the station hire a new local morning team.

I'm not sure if we would characterize this as a "cut" or simply a firing. WDCG once had such good ratings it also made the Greensboro book as well. Now G-105 is tied for #14 in Raleigh.

It probably isn't the morning team's fault and I feel badly whenever I hear someone has lost a gig. So many Top 40/CHR stations are struggling these days. But if the ship is sinking, you gotta throw some things overboard.

I think "cut" implies an owner is laying people off due to an economic downturn. Let's see if G-105 replaces them with an iHeart syndicated morning show (Elvis Duran, Kidd Kraddick, etc.) which would indicate it was a "cut." Or does the station hire a new local morning team.

Kinda surprised they haven't filled it yet they've been jockless during morning drive the remainder of the week 🤔 they are probably trying to see which National morning show would be the best fit as that market is kinda country I don't think Elvis Duran would be the best fit . But I mean they could have had some rando jock voicetrack something not just a jukebox it's not even commercial free lol..... again during morning drive . Does not surprise me IHeart is gutting medium sized markets. Again...

Kinda surprised they haven't filled it yet they've been jockless during morning drive the remainder of the week 🤔 they are probably trying to see which National morning show would be the best fit as that market is kinda country I don't think Elvis Duran would be the best fit . But I mean they could have had some rando jock voicetrack something not just a jukebox it's not even commercial free lol..... again during morning drive . Does not surprise me IHeart is gutting medium sized markets. Again...
It's a normal programming strategy. Always give buffer time between the end of one morning show and the launch of a new one.

It's a normal programming strategy. Always give buffer time between the end of one morning show and the launch of a new one.
I could see if they were clearing the air for a week, or if it was the middle of the summer when a bunch of folks are on vacation. But no morning show for almost a month during normal work /school months seems like mismanagement. They do have a voice tracked jock but still...and it took them forever to get that

I noticed Fred (Brotha Fred on 96.1 Charlotte when it signed on as The Beat) now doing mornings in Chicago will be syndicated by Premiere. Wonder if he might end up here and back on 96.1 in Charlotte as well.

I noticed Fred (Brotha Fred on 96.1 Charlotte when it signed on as The Beat) now doing mornings in Chicago will be syndicated by Premiere. Wonder if he might end up here and back on 96.1 in Charlotte as well.
Maybe funny you say that I live in northwest Indiana and I can hear all the Chicago radio stations I usually turn Fred on for a few minutes every morning

according to All Access, Fred show starts on G 105 Raleigh May 8

according to All Access, Fred show starts on G 105 Raleigh May 8
A lot of things can be blamed for this. Incompetent management and / or under-capitalized ownership, the general decline of AM radio, the 80/90 docket, poisoning of the well by the local newspaper, pick your fave excuse.

iHeart making cuts? I thought they only did that before Christmas.

Radio is a great job if you don't need a consistent income.

G105’s issues come from several things. The lack of a major personality draw or morning show - many CHR’s that have popular, established talent have been able to withstand the struggles in the format. For many years the Showgram drove G105. Pulse FM has also come up on them heavily and taken a lot of the CHR share. iHeart has some really fantastic CHR’s. I thought they would have gone to greater lengths to keep G105 more musically unique and local (off the top of my head, WNCI in Columbus is a good example). G105 has definitely fallen harder than almost any other heritage CHR has in these doldrums.

Back
Top Bottom