• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

If you were gonna change the format of . . .

I wonder what's going on air if Pride fails on KEGL… Fox Sports 97.1? Tú 97.1? Retro 97.1? La Preciosa 97.1? 97.1 El Patron?
If the Estrella Media stations are sold (as has been rumored) with one or more going religious (or some other format) then I would think the obvious play for KEGL is a second try at a Spanish language format.

Speaking of iHeart and sports, this was announced last week: TCU and Horned Frogs Sports Properties Announce Partnership with iHeartMedia - TCU Athletics

There needs to be at least one proper all-news format on FM. Used to be KEWS. They did it fairly well, but were vastly under resourced.

And underrated. I'm sure, if Infinity hadn't merged with CBS Radio, KEWS would've had more time to grow and try to work, but, when CBS already had KRLD making money and had or was getting five other FM's that were almost licenses to print money, getting rid of KEWS was a no-brainer.

I can't find any specific numbers for Dallas/Metroplex - but 4.1% of Texans say they're gay.

I don't know exactly what the numbers are for the Metroplex either, but I understand the LGBT population there is larger than that. If I remember correctly, about 10% of the population nationally is LGBT, and that number is larger in the younger population. The wording of any such survey might affect responses, too. One of my nieces is a member of the LGBT Community, but she is not gay/lesbian and would not appreciate being mislabeled as such. If you met her today, you would not know she belongs to that community. Having said that, I don't see her being a frequent listener to Pride Radio either.

Let's SAY that 5% of Dallas is gay. How many of them are going to listen to this radio station? I'm sure this could work as a podcast that's available globally - and it's actually a great idea, in that form. For a one market radio station, I, again, I am just - I am . . . I dunno.

If a gay or LGBT centric radio station works anywhere, I would expect it to be Palm Springs, where it's being tried. I understand the LGBT population in Palm Springs skews older than the national average, but the community is relatively large there. KGAY Radio would seem to be middle to lower end of the pack numbers wise.

If a gay or LGBT centric radio station works anywhere, I would expect it to be Palm Springs, where it's being tried. I understand the LGBT population in Palm Springs skews older than the national average, but the community is relatively large there. KGAY Radio would seem to be middle to lower end of the pack numbers wise.
The mistake is assuming that all LGBTQ+ persons have the same tastes in music and entertainment.

In the Palm Springs market, KGAY has now registered a "bad" Fall book, after three up-trends reaching a 4.0. It's now 13th.

Of course, there is a huge LGBTQ+ community in the West Valley here, and that means that not only are there lots of businesses owned in the community but other business are aware of the economics and want to advertise on the station to be known as "friendly" to the community.

In how many other cities is there such a feeling?

La Preciosa didn’t work the first time, what makes you think it’ll work again?
"La Preciosa" in Dallas did not work because of two things: first, the originators of the format, Recuerdo, at HBC (Univision now) put the "real" version of the format on first. Second, the local Clear Channel PD modified the format and tried to make it more contemporary and made things even worse.

The "La Preciosa" national PD had the idea that more was always better. They had over 2,000 songs on the playlist. Recuerdo was highly researched with quarterly tests split each time between two different markets and showed about 800 playable songs with perhaps another 100-120 usable as fill. So "La Preciosa" was playing about two-thirds stiffs and duds and that is why Clear Channel dropped the format in all the larger markets where they were up against Recuerdo.

In any case, the format, whoever did it, was dependent on 60's and 70's music. While a lot of music was multi-generational among Mexican origin 25 to 49 year old Hispanics 25 years ago, that broadness does not apply to the last decade where age-based divisions are now more apparent. Further, the core of Recuerdo was ballads and romantic Ranchera music, and both of those genres have been in free-fall decline for the last 35-40 years.

Recuerdo (and all its imitators) was a much younger version of "Music of Your Life" and it is now, after a quarter century, old. Really old. As the co-creator of that format (which was not copied from Mexico) along with Amalia González, I have to accept that it was good for nearly two decades but is now past it prime.

Last edited:
The mistake is assuming that all LGBTQ+ persons have the same tastes in music and entertainment.

I would also think, if an LGBT targeting station focuses heavily on lifestyle issues, it might also have trouble reaching the entire community. In my niece's case, being a member of that community is not a central part of her identity or sense of self. She would describe herself in a lot of other ways first. A station heavily focused on LGBT lifestyle would not likely appeal to her much, if at all. I can't imagine she's alone on that. She's more interested in those issues around election time, but, like most people her age, she's not engaged much in politics.

Of course, there is a huge LGBTQ+ community in the West Valley here, and that means that not only are there lots of businesses owned in the community but other business are aware of the economics and want to advertise on the station to be known as "friendly" to the community.

Most cities have such businesses, and the amount of them is growing. I'm not sure if it would be enough to sustain a radio station, though, especially at DFW ad rates.

Really does look like FSR is on it's way. If not KFXR, it'll be on KEGL. If iHeart does launch FXR in DFW, what'll that mean for Cumulus' Ticket?
TCU Basketball on 1190 in the daytime is fine....at night will anyone in Fort Worth hear it on 1190. I guess iHeart is going to promote the hell out of the 1190 app to hear night basketball games. Man Cumulus its taking it in the shorts. Maybe, they will get SMU basketball from KAAM for KLIF.

There's a whole new audience listening to Spanish A/C. The core artists of the format are no longer Jose Jose and Camilo Sesto, but instead they're Luis Miguel, Camargo y Luciano and Chayanne.
Would something like the format of Mega 101 in Houston be a future possibility for 97.1? Would have a signal advantage over the Latino Mix 107.1/107.9 simulcast in DFW. How similar is the music on Luna 98.3 which is also a rimshot, and a possible EMF target?

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes.

Moreover, dance music ultimately is quite disposable, and not really intended for listening. I don't think there's much of a concept of "gold" in that genre.
The nice way of putting Palm Springs' reputation is that it tends to attract very sociable gay men. The not-so-nice way of putting it is that it attracts aging circuit queens, the kind of people who judge people based on their appearance and not much else. (Whether that's fair or not is a question I can't address.) Dance music tends to appeal to that cohort.

Probably not on a long-term basis. When same-sex marriage first became a possibility in 2008, Shreve & Co., the heritage jeweler in San Francisco, rushed ads on the air featuring same-sex couples, but that was taking advantage of a particular event. (That's where we went!) And there was a rush due in large measure to Proposition 8. But I think that's a unique circumstance.

Gay-oriented media generally have been floundering, for many of the same reasons that other media are floundering.

Last edited:
Was tried in Houston 2011-14 and failed; too expensive and disappointing ratings. Outside of KNX all-news formats don’t seem to work in the sunbelt.
It was also on a subpar signal that didn't reach parts of the sprawl that is the Houston metropolitan area.

KTRH was all-news for almost a couple of decades. I wouldn't call that a failure - more a matter of being owned by an operator that has a cookie-cutter approach of talk/news that isn't particularly news-friendly.

Let's SAY that 5% of Dallas is gay. How many of them are going to listen to this radio station?
Other than specialty shows, of which there are many, I don't see this as an audience builder at all.

When I lived in Chicago in the late 90s, 750 WNDZ had a gay-oriented morning show. I found it well-intentioned but tedious. I suspect I wasn't the only one.

The nice way of putting Palm Springs' reputation is that it tends to attract very sociable gay men. The not-so-nice way of putting it is that it attracts aging circuit queens, the kind of people who judge people based on their appearance and not much else. (Whether that's fair or not is a question I can't address.) Dance music tends to appeal to that
I’d say that was extreme stereotyping of the LGBTQ+ community here. Yes there is a subset of party people. But most are not of that lifestyle. A friend and his partner moved here four or five years ago; he’s in his 60’s and a retired media director of a major agency in San Francisco. What attracted him to the city were the much lower retirement costs and the general acceptance of gays everywhere from healthcare to restaurants. .

I’d say that was extreme stereotyping of the LGBTQ+ community here. Yes there is a subset of party people. But most are not of that lifestyle. A friend and his partner moved here four or five years ago; he’s in his 60’s and a retired media director of a major agency in San Francisco. What attracted him to the city were the much lower retirement costs and the general acceptance of gays everywhere from healthcare to restaurants. .
Well, that's the reputation it has - and, yes, there is stereotyping within the "community". I don't think it's as bad as it used to be but it's still there. Of course there are counter-examples.

Well, that's the reputation it has - and, yes, there is stereotyping within the "community". I don't think it's as bad as it used to be but it's still there. Of course there are counter-examples.
I go to Palm Springs a lot (it's only a 45 minute drive from the East Valley) because of its variety of good restaurants. Obviously, I'm not in the club scene, but all I see is very average looking people who you can only identify as gay by their same sex partner (if even that). To me, the party scene seems more made up of "weekend visitors" and attendees of the White Party and other young gay events as well as the well-over-the-top gay parade. The rest is really no different than straight couples... the noisy parties at STVR homes are mostly straight under-30-something people.

And I've had the Desert as my residence for going on 25 years now.

So, just to be clear…I believe the KGAY format in Palm Springs and iHeart’s Pride Radio are quite different. They target different demographics of the LGBTQ+ community. You can stream both and you can check out iHeart’s Pride Radio on 106.1 HD2.

If iHeart is indeed wanting to put Pride Radio on 97.1, it would probably be inexpensive to do so and possibly save them some money. With the station being an HD only/streaming station in DFW, it still shows up in the ratings from time-to-time. You have to remember that many people don’t care that it’s geared toward the LGBTQ+ community , as long as they’re able to hear music they like. I think this would be easy to sell with Kiss FM and Mix already in their cluster. Thinking back to similar formats of the past, don’t quote me on this, but think this format bills very well in the club scene if done right.

However, I’m not really sure if it’s the best idea and not sure why iHeart would want to have 3 CHR stations in the market (CHR/Pop - Kiss, Adult CHR - Mix and CHR/Dance - Pride). I honestly think Audacy’s Channel Q would be a better fit for a primary FM station than Pride Radio. But Audacy doesn’t really have any stations that they could try this on.

Would something like the format of Mega 101 in Houston be a future possibility for 97.1? Would have a signal advantage over the Latino Mix 107.1/107.9 simulcast in DFW. How similar is the music on Luna 98.3 which is also a rimshot, and a possible EMF target?
How many general market stations carry Hispanic programming? One? I am talking full-stick, Cedar Hill, 100kw High, Wide and Deep.

How many general market stations carry Hispanic programming? One? I am talking full-stick, Cedar Hill, 100kw High, Wide and Deep.
In many markets with large Hispanic populations there are multiple full market signals doing Spanish language formats.

LA has 5 full Class B FMs in Spanish, New York has 3 B's, Miami has 7 Class C's. San Diego has 2 B's on the US side and a half dozen or so in Tijuana.

And in the Dallas Metro Survey Area, a station with its transmitter favoring the northern side of the market has advantages over Cedar Hill because the population growth, particularly among Hispanics, favors the north.

Back
Top Bottom