• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

If Michael Jackson is convicted

ticoSD

Inactive
Inactive User
Will there be a mass dumping of his music from radio station playlists? I happen to think there will.<P ID="signature">______________
"...and the countdown continues until the neanderthals that govern college football do something about their pathetic postseason."--Tim Brando, Sporting News Radio</P>

> Will there be a mass dumping of his music from radio station
> playlists? I happen to think there will.

I almost never hear any of Michael's music newer than "Billie Jean" from 1983 on the radio, and I think everyone who knows anything about Michael has learned to seperate the person he was in the '70s and early '80s from the person he became in the '90s and is today. It's pretty easy, since these two Michaels don't even remotely look the same.

And don't forget, R. Kelly was videotaped having sex with a 14-year-old. In fact, there is proof that he regularly had sex with underage children. And yet I still hear his music on the radio quite frequently!

<P ID="signature">______________
noiboc.jpg
</P>

> > Will there be a mass dumping of his music from radio
> station
> > playlists? I happen to think there will.
>
> I almost never hear any of Michael's music newer than
> "Billie Jean" from 1983 on the radio, and I think everyone
> who knows anything about Michael has learned to seperate the
> person he was in the '70s and early '80s from the person he
> became in the '90s and is today. It's pretty easy, since
> these two Michaels don't even remotely look the same.
>
> And don't forget, R. Kelly was videotaped having sex with a
> 14-year-old. In fact, there is proof that he regularly had
> sex with underage children. And yet I still hear his music
> on the radio quite frequently!
>

I agree--I do think most people are able to separate the music from the man, whatever his scruples may be. Besides, he has WAY too many hit songs for radio to suddenly ignore him. <P ID="signature">______________
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. --Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

</P>

> I agree--I do think most people are able to separate the
> music from the man, whatever his scruples may be. Besides,
> he has WAY too many hit songs for radio to suddenly ignore
> him.
>

Why's that? Radio has ignored his last few attempts at music. Why stop?

> > I agree--I do think most people are able to separate the
> > music from the man, whatever his scruples may be.
> Besides,
> > he has WAY too many hit songs for radio to suddenly ignore
>
> > him.
> >
>
> Why's that? Radio has ignored his last few attempts at
> music. Why stop?
>

Exactly. I was under the impression that radio basically quit playing his music in 1993 when the first media circus occurred and that it really had more to do with his general unhipness at the time than the allegations. Really, does any non-Variety Hits station play any of his solo work now?

> > > I agree--I do think most people are able to separate the
>
> > > music from the man, whatever his scruples may be.
> > Besides,
> > > he has WAY too many hit songs for radio to suddenly
> ignore
> >
> > > him.
> > >
> >
> > Why's that? Radio has ignored his last few attempts at
> > music. Why stop?
> >
>
> Exactly. I was under the impression that radio basically
> quit playing his music in 1993 when the first media circus
> occurred and that it really had more to do with his general
> unhipness at the time than the allegations. Really, does
> any non-Variety Hits station play any of his solo work now?

I hear AC WJKK and urban AC WKXI-FM in Jackson play his music.
<P ID="signature">______________
"...and the countdown continues until the neanderthals that govern college football do something about their pathetic postseason."--Tim Brando, Sporting News Radio</P>

I wouldn't mind hearing 1-2-3. Or even Ben from the movie of
the same name about a weird little boy who befriended a rat.

Hmmm. Maybe that's when he started getting weird?

Other than that, ditch the [alleged] pervert's CDs!<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

>

I don't think so because if the Jackson songs are cut they are going to have to cut everything else he owns like all the Beatles material. <P ID="signature">______________
In Harmony
From the Bop Shop,
Brian "BD Bopper"</P>

> > Will there be a mass dumping of his music from radio
> station
> > playlists? I happen to think there will.
> >
>
> I don't think so because if the Jackson songs are cut they
> are going to have to cut everything else he owns like all
> the Beatles material.
>

I don't think the Beatles will be cut. MJ may own the catalog, but the stations will look at who perform the songs. If that were the case, oldies radio might as well cease to exist.<P ID="signature">______________

> Exactly. I was under the impression that radio basically
> quit playing his music in 1993 when the first media circus
> occurred and that it really had more to do with his general
> unhipness at the time than the allegations. Really, does
> any non-Variety Hits station play any of his solo work now?
>

I have heard many Urban ACs play his latest single "One More Chance" from his Michael Jackson Number Ones disc, not to mention the ACs that play his late 70's, 80s and a few of his 90s stuff. So yes, he still gets plenty of airplay.

I still say it'd be pound foolish to take the music of arguably the world's biggest pop star and delete it from the airwaves, no matter what the format.

Furthermore, if you're going to play musical politics like that, why stop with Michael Jackson? Elvis, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles--they had run-ins with the law and problems with drugs. Rappers T.I., Shyne, Beanie Siegel, and C-Murder/C-Miller haven't stopped getting radio spins from their incarcerations. And being a drunkard hasn't drowned George Jones career.

If there isn't a history of determining airplay by an artist or groups' personal scruples, why start now? <P ID="signature">______________
There's nothing to see here.</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom