• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I Need some help PD's & MD's...

J

jackblackstwin

So we are considering flipping from what we are, a mix of classic and active rock, to more active/alternative rock. (Think WPBZ in West Palm Beach, Florida) how many songs do you think we should be spinning?

Top 300 powers & recurrents, currents may play a minimal part.

Of course, this is from some prod guy who spends way too much time on research study, and has been in lotsa conversations prod guys aren't usually invited to.

It's all about what your market tells you.

How did they grow up? What has the market experienced?

For instance, a market which was unwelcoming to alternative in the "grunge" 90's will only tolerate the most minimal level of ultra-pop/unavoidable Nirvana/STP/Pearl Jam/other. A market with an established alternative awareness will welcome more of the "deeper" cuts from those artists & more. If your area's 35-ers are in love with their hair, get used to it.

I've spewed my gospel to any ROCK guy/gal who'd look in my direction that 'active' attention should be given to the latest waves of alt. such as White Stripes & Muse. notsomuch.

If you're looking at a modern Active Rocker, you'll run into some form of:

METALLICA
ZEPPELIN
AUDIOSLAVE
PINK FLOYD
CURRENT
DEF LEPPARD
PEARL JAM
SKYNYRD
GODSMACK
CURRENT
AEROSMITH
SUBLIME
MOTLEY CRUE
SOUNDGARDEN
LINKIN PARK
SABBATH
BEASTIES
RHCP
NIRVANA
CURRENT
VAN HALEN *ROTH*
RUSH
STP
OZZY
CURRENT
TRAPT
ALICE IN CHAINS
GREEN DAY
ZOMBIE
TEMPLE OF THE DOG

A steady mix of only the best called-out currents. And hire Chadd at Krash Creative Solutions to form your stellar imaging.

I think.

Where am I?

I really want to model the station after WPBZ in West Palm Beach, that station is PHENOMENAL! I appreciate you're feed back.

So if I was to hire you, what are the rates?

Great list. I would add to it though and I would drop the BEASTIES and TEMPLE from rotation. Thats just me though.

Sure. That's just a combo sample of what I am used to seeing do well. Ignoring the Beasties in many markets can be very dangerous-- especially since even they're bordering on Classic Rock nowadays (we're talking "Fight for Your Right", "Brass Monkey", "Sabatoge", "Paul Revere"). Temple only had a couple of songs worthy of throwing in, but BOY are they worthy... again, not in every situation. Just humble opinions.

As for hiring supermassive sound designers... Anybody mind if I plug (cause it WAS aked) the site? http://www.krashcreativesolutions.com

A growing resource of radio imaging.

Thanks for the op to spill my guts.

Yeah! Temple of the Dog was Chris Cornell's first major radio band. Ignoring anything with Chris Cornell (Temple, Soundgarden, Audioslave) would be shooting yourself in the foot. Active or Alternative. Except for maybe some of his solo songs.

Yes. In many markets... ignoring the BEASTIES could be dangerous. However, in many it's not an issue. I know in mine...its more of a novelty thing. As for Cornell... it would be stupid to ignore AUDIOSLAVE even SOUNDGARDEN. Those two bands had many radio hits. However, TEMPLE is more of a "Two for Tuesday" type of spin. They only really had "SAY HELLO TO HEAVEN and HUNGER STRIKE. I would maybe throw it in a gold catagory. Thats IF I has a lot of gold tracks in there. However, once again... it just depends on the market.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom