• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I..Miss WHYT 96.3 JAMZ.....

J

Johnnie_Radio

http://www.detroitradioflashbacks.net/retroreplay/963fm.html

Why did ABC ever Flip 96.3 from a Dance..House..Churban Station....WHYT was one of the Best Party..House Stations..similar to B 96 WBBM in Chicago. I was listening to the Jingles from the OLD WHYT. I miss this station.... :-[ :-[

They should have never dummped this.....who knows....maybe they would running things instead of WKQI.

I'm sure they had a good reason to "dummp" it...such as they wern't making money. It's never coming back.

Well of course WHYT 96.3 isn't coming back.....since you have WKQI channel 95-5...and Hot 102.7...and FM98.

Why would HYT come back now....the market is too saturated.,....

How can it be that ABC wasn't doing well with Power 96...WHYT.....the only competition was WJLB...which was more main Urban.
HYT had a good Mix of House and Hip Hop....with some Top 40 mixed in. I can't believe they weren't making $$ on HYT.

As i recall...they didn't need to Dump HYT...they were the best game in town besides..FM98. the OLD Z95.5 aka Dick Purtan days..was Hot Adult Contemporary,...no competition. ABC...was Crazy for blowing up HYT.

Johnnie_Radio said:
http://www.detroitradioflashbacks.net/retroreplay/963fm.html

Why did ABC ever Flip 96.3 from a Dance..House..Churban Station....WHYT was one of the Best Party..House Stations..similar to B 96 WBBM in Chicago. I was listening to the Jingles from the OLD WHYT. I miss this station.... :-[ :-[

They should have never dummped this.....who knows....maybe they would running things instead of WKQI.

CHR is having a tough time as it is, let alone Churban. Even in the most highly ethnic markets, like Detroit, those formats are having a tough go of it. The ones that seem to continue to do well are the ones that are market institutions...like WJLB and WKQI. As for Hot 102.7, they were still playing Hard Rock when I left the market in '98. I'd be surprised if they were doing well...since it seems like that station's never really stuck with one format (or even a variation) long enough for it to be any kind of an institution.

Every market is going to have at least three or four FM stations that are like that.

Re: I..Miss WHYT 96.3 JAMZ.....(POWER96)

WELL IF YOU LOOK BACK IN THE EARLY 80S.....THE ONLY STATIONS THAT WERE TOP-40..URBAN-DANCE WERE WHYT(POWER)96 AND WJLB(FM98).....WQKI..WAS Z95.5....A MIDDLE OF THE ROAD ROCK--MEDIUM ROCK STATION.

I WOULD COMPARE WHYT 96.3 (POWER96) TO WBBM IN CHICAGO (B96) NOW YOU LOOK AT CHICAGO,, THEY HAVE THEIR MAIN URBAN WGCI....AND WBBM IS HITS AND TOP-40 RYTHMIC AND DANCE HITS.

WHYT..SHOULDN'T HAVE ABANDONED THIS FORMAT.....I BELIEVE ABC WAS JUST TO SCARED TO RUN WITH WJLB. THERE WAS MPRE THAN ENOUGH ROOM FOR BOTH....EVEN WITH THE OLD DRQ..FORMAT.

Re: I..Miss WHYT 96.3 JAMZ.....(POWER96)

Johnnie_Radio said:
WHYT..SHOULDN'T HAVE ABANDONED THIS FORMAT.....I BELIEVE ABC WAS JUST TO SCARED TO RUN WITH WJLB. THERE WAS MPRE THAN ENOUGH ROOM FOR BOTH....EVEN WITH THE OLD DRQ..FORMAT.

It all comes down to numbers. When you have 80 radio signals in a single market, size (ratings-wise) DOES matter.

Ah... 96.3 Jamz... a good part of the soundtrack of my eighth grade year in middle school. I liked the then-Q95 too - in fact I probably listened to Q95 more than anything else - but 96.3 had an edge that no other station, not even WJLB, seemed to have. 96.3 was the station that played the hot new songs first before anyone else. I never liked gangsta rap and would usually switch the station once a gangsta rap song came on, but it was 96.3 Jamz that first exposed me to dance and R&B artists like Ace of Base, TLC, SWV and Toni Braxton. Of course, in my household at least, I always had to listen with headphones, because if my parents heard some of the racier songs on their playlist... there'd be hell to pay. It was the undisputed station of choice for most of my school peers, and I still remember when they did after-school dances at my middle school.

Then as my freshman year began, they changed to Planet 96.3. I listened to the Planet for the same reasons I listened to 96.3 Jamz, to keep up on what was hip at the time and to hear cool, out-of-the-ordinary songs no other station would play. I finally stopped listening when they dropped the '80s new wave "Flashback Lunch" and "Saturday Night Flashback" shows... but that's a story for another time.

As to why they changed, I definitely believe they probably weren't making enough money. WJLB could get away with playing gangsta rap because they were, and always have been, for the African-American community primarily. And like you said, JLB had heritage and had been playing that kind of music for years, and were an institution. While WHYT played many of the same songs, though, many of their DJs were white and their listening audience consisted largely of white suburban kids. Many of Detroit's suburbs are extremely redneck and have been for years (especially since the 1967 riots). I assume there were probably many businesses who didn't want to advertise on a station that was corrupting innocent young suburban minds with "all that ghetto music." And I think the fact that the station's biggest popularity was with the under-25 crowd - younger listeners than advertisers generally like - had something to do with that as well. A few years earlier, a station in Battle Creek (WBXX-FM, B95) went under and changed to Oldies and later AC for similar reasons.

And when 96.3 flipped in the fall of '94, Alternative Rock was the new "hip" thing... the grunge movement was in full swing and bands like Green Day, Pearl Jam, Live, the Cranberries and the Gin Blossoms were crossing over to CHR more and more. For CHR radio in general, it seemed like one of the most musically segregated periods in recent history. CHR seemed to favor alternative rockers, soft rock AC crossovers and a handful of Euro techno-disco tunes while R&B and hip-hop artists got the shaft. Many R&B songs during that time that were top 10 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 struggled to break top 30 or even top 40 on the Radio & Records CHR/Pop chart (today, of course, it's the exact opposite). If you look at what WHTZ-FM (Z100) in NYC was playing around this time, it was very heavily alternative-leaning. ABC may have also felt that 89X, being, one, a Canadian station, and two, in the portion of the FM dial considered (in the USA) non-comm, would be vulnerable and could use some competition.

CHRIS....I LIKE YOUR ANALOGY AS FAR AS THIS SUBJECT OF Contemporary Hit Radio....and also what's Known as Hip Hop..which is a culture not a music category....which i feel it's gotten the shaft because of stuff like Gansta Rap.....Hey....Will Smith....never cursed in his lyrics at all....and everyone could listen too it.

JLB...was always strictly Rap Music and Mainstream R&B... I like stuff like Robin S, Stevie B, Madonna, La Bouche, Lidell Townsell(NU-NU Song)...now WHYT...had a good place here, because it wanted to take a nice blend or Contemporary Hits...and Dance...and add some Rap Music with Edge and R&B, now stuff like Will Smith, or Kris Kross or House of Pain....was middle of the road....just enough edge. Shalamar, and even Cameo...were more Rythmic with a nice Beat to it. When WHYT(POWER96)...then to 96.3 Jamz....should have kept that middle upbeat "safer Mixx" so your parents wouldn't get to afraid of what's called "Ghetto Music" I would bet they would listen to music with a good beat....i mean who cares if it's a Black Artist or White Artist.

WHYT...reminded me of WBBM (B96) in chicago....had a complete upbeat mix and complilation of music.
personally i feel that 98 and Hot 102.7 are more Harcore Rap Music stations....which some of these artist today can't rap at all.

Another Good station was the old WBXX in Battle Creek....Majic 95...when i was Kalamazoo...they were the best station with that upbeat sound. Also WSNX...104.5 in Muskegon...when Goodrich owned it...was also a really good station.

Also....because Detroit is so segragated..is probably another reason why a station like WHYT folded.

One correction: hip-hop is a music genre and it was a music genre before the lifestyle was labeled hip-hop as well. They went hand-in-hand, so naturally, they began to be called the same thing. But the music did have the name first.

Do anyone have airchecks of this station? Not clips, real airchecks.

ChrisInMI said:
As to why they changed, I definitely believe they probably weren't making enough money. WJLB could get away with playing gangsta rap because they were, and always have been, for the African-American community primarily. And like you said, JLB had heritage and had been playing that kind of music for years, and were an institution. While WHYT played many of the same songs, though, many of their DJs were white and their listening audience consisted largely of white suburban kids. Many of Detroit's suburbs are extremely redneck and have been for years (especially since the 1967 riots). I assume there were probably many businesses who didn't want to advertise on a station that was corrupting innocent young suburban minds with "all that ghetto music." And I think the fact that the station's biggest popularity was with the under-25 crowd - younger listeners than advertisers generally like - had something to do with that as well. A few years earlier, a station in Battle Creek (WBXX-FM, B95) went under and changed to Oldies and later AC for similar reasons.

JLB has had the heritage from the very beginning...HYT on the other hand, built its heritage as a Top 40 station, programmed to mainly the white suburban kids. To turn your back on that format and completely go the other way against a highly-established urban station is suicide. Unfortunately, the powers that be at HYT had to learn this the hard way.

That flip, however, did greatly benefit Tower 98 in Monroe...which has the unique privilege of serving not just one, but TWO radio markets: Detroit and Toledo. Though it's a Class A signal, it still covers a lot of ground...especially between those two cities, where you have a lot of Downriver Detroit listeners...especially among the working-class 25-54 female demos.

I totally agree , HYT should have tried to compete with JLB, they should have stuck with TOP-40/Dance as Power 96.

Why did everyone try to dethrone JLB.....AKA...WLBS / WHYT WCHB(WJZZ) which never should dropped Jazz, and the now WHTD...who will never beat 98. Heritage is everything. Look at WGCI in chicago....same thing.

The Old Power 96 sounded way better than Copy(Channel 95-5) KQI does today. But i guess the question is..why not try bringing back a similar format on 96.3 and put the HOT AC on 93.1. 95 could be beat if done right.

ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE THE ORIGINAL AIR CHECKS FROM WHYT?

A moment of "96.3 JAMMZZ..."
Girl I've Been Hurt - Snow
Comforter - Shai
Rhythm is a Dancer - Snap
Supermodel - Rupaul
Don't Walk Away - Jade
Dre Day - Dr. Dre
Electric Relaxation - A Tribe Called Quest
Throb - Janet Jackson
U Go Girl - Tag Team
Down With the King - Run D.M.C
How Do You Talk to an Angel - Heights
Baby, Baby, Baby - TLC
Kris Kross - Warm it Up
Tevin Campbell - Shhhhhhhhh
"96.3 JAMZ!!!"

"Then as my freshman year began, they changed to Planet 96.3. I listened to the Planet for the same reasons I listened to 96.3 Jamz, to keep up on what was hip at the time and to hear cool, out-of-the-ordinary songs no other station would play". ?????

CIMX was playing all that same skater grunge music back then.96.3 was just a watered down version. WHYT shouldn't have tried to compete w/ 89X & just kept up with their great format they had. 89X did/does a stellar job at what they did/do & HYT could've continued to make big money in Detroit...They did a great job of dayparting music too. Major dissapointment when they went to "Planet" :mad:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom