• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I got Sirius yesterday, Its Great!

X

XM RADIO

I just got Sirius yesterday, after a year of only having XM, I needed more Variety and I got it! The Sirius Gold channel is playing what XM isnt doing! The all Elvis channel is Un believable! I will keep my XM,Lots of choices now! To think a year ago when KFRC 99.7 dropped its Oldies format , What now ? CBS thanks for "Changing your Format" radio has never sounded so good!! To the CEOs at Sirius this Sirius gold channel is great! Right this minute "Whos Sorry Now? by Connie Francis 1960,Sirius is playing what I wanted Xm to play ! One thing for SURE, with two Satelites, Ill never have to listen to "Brown Eyed Girl" that often! If ever! I will be Giving my family Satelite Radio for Christmas this year! Kenny in Concord , Happy Holidays

i got into a car wreck and been driving a rental with no sirius.....2yrs ago i may not have missed it but now.....lol its horrible without it in the car.
(i have a dodge so it was built in to the car)
i needed to look into getting a portable one anyway

Yes, I like Sirius too, with these minor exceptions...

1) They took away Mellow Rock on The Bridge to put an all-The Who format on Channel 10. I really miss The Bridge. I understand The Who is only supposed to be temporary. They still call Ch. 10 "The Bridge" but no one is saying when the Mellow Rock will return. Why not put The Who on one of the many Classic Rock channels?

2) They took away PRI Public Radio International. I'm sure they'll say we get two NPR channels anyway, although the two NPR channels duplicate most of their programming at different hours. PRI's line up shared no programs with NPR.

3) There should be one music channel with soft music somewhere between Moving Easy and Standards. The large gap between the two musical styles leaves a lot of music unplayed. Moving Easy at one time may have been real Easy Listening. There may not be a call for a channel that plays Percy Faith versions of Beatles songs anymore, but with the Moving Easy channel playing "Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac, there should be one more channel of soft music before we go all the way back to standards.

4) I feel there isn't much diologue between subscribers and programmers. No one ever surveyed me to see what I want. I'd like to know how much research was done to determine that The Who should replace Mellow Rock... or was it just the musical taste of whoever is in charge? Even if I write an e-mail or call the toll free number, I have the feeling my comments wind up in a round circular file about a foot off the floor. I've also asked by e-mail if the Howard Stern channels would be repeating a special program called "The Bitter Half." No one has ever gotten back to me.

I subscribed for Stern and I really like several of the other music and talk channels. I just wish I knew the programmers were doing real research into what subscribers want and not just programming for their own tastes.

Gregg
[email protected]

Gregg said:
I'd like to know how much research was done to determine that The Who should replace Mellow Rock... or was it just the musical taste of whoever is in charge? Even if I write an e-mail or call the toll free number, I have the feeling my comments wind up in a round circular file about a foot off the floor. I've also asked by e-mail if the Howard Stern channels would be repeating a special program called "The Bitter Half." No one has ever gotten back to me.

The Who thing was done in exchange for promotional consideration (Sirius is either getting cash or visibility on The Who tour, or both). They did the same for Springsteen's "Born to Run" anniversary last year and are still doing an all Stones channel for the duration of the Stones tour (on what was supposed to be the world music channel 98). The classic rock acts are looking to Sirius for co-promotes in part because regular radio isn't playing much, or any, of their new stuff. But I agree, the decisions about which channels to bump in the interim seem kind of arbitrary. And yes, Sirius is terrible about responding to customer feedback. That was true back when they had far fewer subscribers and I'm sure it's much worse now.

From what I have read, the decision to end the PRI channel on Sirius was mutual, not an issue of Sirius kicking them out. Sirius was probably less inclined to continue though, since they have quite a bit of public radio programming thanks to the CBC's parternship with Sirius Canada. Sirius now includes CBC 1 & 3, and several channels from Radio-Canada as well. PRI's channel did duplicate some programming (particularly on weekends) with CBC 1.

PRI has beefed up its presence on XM, however - PRI programming now constitutes a majority of XMPR 133.

I will also be interested to see what happens in a few months when the current NPR/Sirius contract ends.

Gregg said:
There may not be a call for a channel that plays Percy Faith versions of Beatles songs anymore, but with the Moving Easy channel playing "Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac, there should be one more channel of soft music before we go all the way back to standards.
Yes there is! I like Percy Faith. Mantovani too.

Sirius will never get my business until they have this channel.

I wish I knew whose version of "Strawberry Fields Forever" was on ABC Timeless Classics.

AZJoe said:
The Bridge returns Jan 1 according to an insider source at Sirius!! Thank goodness!!! :)

can you prove that? i hope so..that freakin who channel has got to go!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom