• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I got a question about the RIAA...

J

jaydavenport

ok so here it goes..

do you think the greed from the RIAA produces a chain of events that lead to people moving from FM radio to satellite and internet radio?

like if people believe that the radio industry may be in support of the RIAA in hope of holding on to listeners that have migrated to other radio mediums?

do you think the RIAA would ever go after radio stations that download music?<P ID="signature">______________
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.jaydavenport.net>Jay Davenport</a>

</P>

> ok so here it goes..
>
> do you think the greed from the RIAA produces a chain of
> events that lead to people moving from FM radio to satellite
> and internet radio?
>
> like if people believe that the radio industry may be in
> support of the RIAA in hope of holding on to listeners that
> have migrated to other radio mediums?

No. The heat the RIAA gets stays on the labels. I've never heard anyone blame radio. That's like blaming TV or the theatre chains for the MPAA's actions.
>
> do you think the RIAA would ever go after radio stations
> that download music?

Yes, and it'd be highly embarrassing if a terrestrial radio station got caught.

> ok so here it goes..
>
> and internet radio?
>
>
> that download music?

Bear with me, I'm trying to follow. How is the radio industry in support of the Recording Industry Association of America? You mean by airing promos in support of them? Mmmm... perhaps some hard-core types who view royalties as theft. I doubt it's a big factor though.

And <u>of course</u> the RIAA would go after radio stations that illegally download music. Actually, "go after" is too mild a term. The RIAA "goes after" college students massively downloading from Internet2. But a radio station brazen enough to illegally download music? A better word for their fate would be evisceration; or maybe annihilation.

As for their "greed"; they are merely enforcing existing contracts. Their tactics are sometimes questionable, but I don’t see how insisting that people pay legal royalties is greed. I guess we’re all greedy when we insist that people live up to their contracts.<P ID="signature">______________
Jerry

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Moynihan">late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan</a></P><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Jerry Stevens on 07/01/05 03:04 PM.</FONT></P>

> and internet radio?

The only issue with digital transmission, including this "HDFM" craze, is that the buzz word in the industry is digital. They think digital is evil. You cannot have a copy of the Backstreet Boys recorded from satellite radio or from an internet stream, but you CAN have a copy from analog FM.

Radio is radio. FM is now going digital.

> that download music?

TM Century does downloads.<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

>
> > do you think the RIAA would ever go after radio stations
> > that download music?
>
> TM Century does downloads.
>

So does Jones Radio Network....

>
> > do you think the RIAA would ever go after radio stations
> > that download music?
>
> TM Century does downloads.

In this case, the downloads are for distribution of promo copies of songs and downloaders are radio stations only. TM is well recognized in the music industry as providing a useful service for stations that are too small to warrant direct promotional support from the labels.
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom