• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hurricane Sandy and local radio - a lost opportunity

While WAEB deserves some kudos for simulcasting WFMZ-TV during their usual 6 / 7 / 10 PM newscasts, they (and other LV stations) ultimately failed in serving the audience during the height of the storm and its immediate aftermath, in my opinion.

Once we lost power Monday evening, all we had available to us were battery-operated radios. AT&T's cell network lost data connectivity.

WFMZ was essentially wall-to-wall coverage until the moment we lost power (830 PM); we grabbed the radio and found WAEB was airing their usual right-of-center talk format...they did not simulcast WFMZ-TV's extended coverage.

That was a real turnoff for me.

We just got our power back this afternoon (Sunday), and for those 5 days, radio was our lifeline to the outside world much of the time.

My 15-year-old-daughter quickly tired of the Lehigh Valley's music stations and latched onto the spoken-word public radio stations available in the valley, as being more entertaining - and informative - than commercial radio. Up till then she has never listened to radio except when in the car.

Even if every Lehigh Valley commercial radio station would have simulcasted WFMZ-TV, would that have been a bad thing during the worst of the storm and its immediate aftermath?

Hopefully LV radio stations will learn from this lost opportunity and establish contingency simulcast contracts now...before the next storm...

Richard in Allentown

Don't forget about the non-comm's. WDIY did a fabulous job keeping the public informed with information from live hosts. I was impressed. I was also equally impressed with Kutztown University Radio. Tiny little station but whatever kid or administrator or whomever that they have running their Twitter feed deserves to be commended. They were updating their Twitter with local road closures, police scanner reports, power outages, etc. ever few minutes all throughout the storm. Yeah it wasn't live on-air, but for a small college station, not bad. Also, I think they got kicked off-air for a few days from a power outage in Kutztown. The Twitter updates kept coming though.

Interstate 78 said:
Don't forget about the non-comm's. WDIY did a fabulous job keeping the public informed with information from live hosts. I was impressed.

We very quickly switched our listening from commercial to public radio.

Richard

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom