• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Howie Carr AWOL from the Herald?

a couple of weeks ago when the Arroyo story broke, Howie made a rather unusual comment about it saying he had the same info the Globe used to break their story but the people at the Herald would not use it ..going on to say " no wonder why that paper is dying" and implying they have lost their way.

He has not had a new column on the Herald website in weeks, but he is posting stuff on his own website.

Maybe at 70 he has had enough of them, or visa versa

Thoughts?

If he had the information there are other ways of releasing it, other than a herald column. As long as the BH is still capable of paying him I don't think he'll leave. As for the Arroyo story who really knows what the truth was and police involved in politics isn't the road I'd want to go.

Interesting...his last new column on the Herald web site is from August 24 (they posted a 25+ year old column on August 31). Grace has a column up this month. Meanwhile, Howie has hired a digital managing editor for his company, who is writing columns for his web site.

when did the Arroyo story blow up in the Globe? That was the day Howie dumped all over the Herald on the air.

That was on August 23, chances are his column on the 24th was already submitted and had space in the layout allocated for it.

I doubt the Herald is paying him enough to make it worth his while to keep sending them material, even if it is nothing more than quotes from callers from his show the previous day which is pretty much what 50% of his Herald stuff is.

What the Herald looses in all of this, if he is gone, is all the tips people send him that he passes on to the paper.

Howie's been pretty irrelevant for years, but still surprised that he'd cut his long standing ties with the Herald over short dollars (?) given that it still gets his name out there attached to one of the two prominent Boston newspapers.
Granted he has the reputation as the ultimate cheapskate (where is he going to steal his toilet paper and office supplies from!!) but having your name attached to the cover of a newspaper's print & online formats has its own intrinsic value.

I was told by a Herald employee that Carr's last deal with the Herald was a strait trade deal. He provided the column in return for the space to advertise his various products and events. I found that a little hard to believe but the again I am amazed that there are some people who pay $4.50 for the daily print edition.

Crazy Kuhner declared war with Carr and the other members of what he calls the "corrupt local media establishment" who Kuhner claims were bought off by Chris Doughty who was challenging Jeff Diehl for the Republican Party's nomination for Governor. Kuhner continued to say that Doughty tried to buy him off. Kuhner had to issue an on air clarification claiming that Doughty campaign which was manged by former WRKO fill in host Holly Robachaud said they would will pull their spots from Kuhner's program if he continued his on air support for Diehl.

Crazy Kuhner declared war with Carr and the other members of what he calls the "corrupt local media establishment" who Kuhner claims were bought off by Chris Doughty who was challenging Jeff Diehl for the Republican Party's nomination for Governor. Kuhner continued to say that Doughty tried to buy him off. Kuhner had to issue an on air clarification claiming that Doughty campaign which was manged by former WRKO fill in host Holly Robachaud said they would will pull their spots from Kuhner's program if he continued his on air support for Diehl.
Kuhner, the constant drama queen. I don't listen to Howie, he's been AWOL from radio for years and I'm betting that him and his female clone will be telling listeners to "hold your nose" and vote for Diehl because he's better than Healey.

$4.50 a day for the Herald?

Are you effn kidding me?

I know it had been a long time since I bought a daily paper but WTF

Back in the day I'd buy the Globe, Herald, and my local daily paper.....

A repro of today's front cover I saw on twitter said $4.50 indeed; they have various subscription rates for digital, digital and print etc.
I gave up on the Herald some years ago. They had a special, something like $8 per week daily and Sunday. Then it went up and at one point I figured it was costing me $600 per year and I thought, there's a lot of stuff I can see online, from various sources.
So I gave up the subscription and don't buy it on newsstand.
Acc to Wiki:
Globe avg circ 68k
Herald daily 25k
Herald Sun 45 k
Howie columns are on his site, no paywall.

I have always suspected Howie's positions were set in quicksand.

IIRC he was a big Diehl supporter in the past, Diehl is the for lack of a better term MAGA or Trumpism candidate, where IMHO Doughty was another Charlie Baker/Bill Weld/Mitt Romney MA RINO, the people Howie normally (depending on which way the wind is blowing) dislikes.

in a 2017 FB post Howie is calling Geoff "My friend" when he was running against Ms Warren.

It seems these days HC has tied his wagon to Karoline Leavitt

If memory serves me Trump endorsed Geoff on Howie's Show one afternoon when Geoff announced his candidacy long before Baker decided to run for the hills. When Geoff was a potential threat to "Tall Deval" aka Charlie Baker, Howie was all for him... what happened? In the audio HC in response to Trump asking, says he is a Geoff Diehl guy

Here is the video

I know this wanders a bit from the radio aspect of the discussion, but is HC that spiteful that because Geoff decided he didn't have to do any more debates.... and if you are the stronger of the 2 candidates you don't want to debate because not only your primary opponent will use anything you say to hang you, your opponent in the General Election will use any sound bite they can to hang you ( look at Bolduc in NH, his comments on Roe v Wade in a primary debate are being used by his opponent to support her positions)

I hate to say this but Kuhner may be on to something.

I hate to say this but Kuhner may be on to something.
EXCEPT years ago Kuhner was a HUGE supporter of Baker the rino. He told his audience they HAD TO vote for Baker. He had Mark Fisher, the conservative candidate, on his show and then him and Cooksey allowed Holly Robichaud and her ilk to call in and bash Fisher over and over. It was NOT "good radio", it was shameful. When it comes to radio, Kuhner is nothing but a drama queen.

$4.50 a day for the Herald?

Are you effn kidding me?

I know it had been a long time since I bought a daily paper but WTF

Back in the day I'd buy the Globe, Herald, and my local daily paper.....
I moved here in 1998 and would buy the Herald for 50 cents out of the newspaper max (the paper's format was much easier to read on the subway commute). Honestly amazing it still exists tbh.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom