• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How would you handle this abrasive guy?

This is from my part-time job, when the employer was not around. The guy has trouble with inter-personal relations and is disliked by a large portion of the workforce; however, for whatever reason he seemed to take particular disdain towards me. Well, one day during an employee lunch he took "offense" that my sack lunch was not on the tray provided. He sat at the other side of the table, noticed what was "wrong" and yelled across the table "HEY (my name), YOU KNOW THE REASONS WE HAVE TRAYS IS SO....YOU KNOW....WE PUT FOOD ON THEM!!!!" I calmly looked at him and without emotion put it on the tray. Work-wise, he is a "boss's pet" and has a good relationship with higher ups, yet many employees do not like him.

My airline flight attendant wife had a way of dealing with jerks like that. It involved a cup of warm coffee and a very slippery tray. If the abuse was severe the coffee got hotter.

I have found the best way to deal with folks like this is killing them with passive-aggressiveness in the traditional Seattle way. Kill 'em with kindness but stick the knife in right at the end. Sounds bad, but if you beat someone like this at their own game, they can't stand it. Like, watch the steam come out of their ears. If he's getting his jollies out of bullying folks, don't buy into it. That drives 'em batty too.

Unless putting a tray under your lunch is required by work or union rules, don't. If he mentions it again, mention that the brown paper sack containing your lunch does a great job of containing any mess you have, so you avoid wasting the cafeteria staff's time/resources in washing another tray, but you can totally understand why a man like him would desire a tray under his lunch to keep all his crumbs and spittle from flying around.

Guarantee this guy will either shut the heck up and keep to himself or will be provoked towards you in a way that he will not be able to retain his job for very long. If he's vocal like you mentioned, he may try to provoke you in a fight.

Let him.

The second he touches you it's game over for him at that job. There really aren't a lot of cases after 1970 I can think of where an unprovoked attacker at the workplace retains their job...And he'll likely leave with a new set of bracelets and a nice institution to sleep at for the night. And a difficult time explaining why he checked yes on his new job application under "Have you been asked to leave a job due to violence in the workplace?"

Radio-X

This is from my part-time job, when the employer was not around. The guy has trouble with inter-personal relations and is disliked by a large portion of the workforce; however, for whatever reason he seemed to take particular disdain towards me. Well, one day during an employee lunch he took "offense" that my sack lunch was not on the tray provided. He sat at the other side of the table, noticed what was "wrong" and yelled across the table "HEY (my name), YOU KNOW THE REASONS WE HAVE TRAYS IS SO....YOU KNOW....WE PUT FOOD ON THEM!!!!" I calmly looked at him and without emotion put it on the tray. Work-wise, he is a "boss's pet" and has a good relationship with higher ups, yet many employees do not like him.

So I take it you are a Senate employee and you're talking about Ted Cruz? :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom