• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How messed up is SF radio????

I'll tell you, first the bay's #1 morning team for like years, canned like tuna. Then country format gone, CHR TOP 40 format gone, replaced by a JACKED-UP format called MAX. SF radio used to be diversified, different, now everything is the same, 2 major players own everything in the dam city, groups of stations are in the same building, computers run everything, jocks are not even live anymore, traffic reporting sucks, always has always will, when will they let the listeners call in and do the darn traffic reporting live from there car, what ever happened to the all request hour??? It's gone, is their even 1 good reason left to listen to FM radio in san francisco anymore, IMHO, HELL NO!!!!

SF radio has gotten stale and quickly, back when Z95.7 was on and WILD 949 kept raggin on them even though they really had NO competition, now that was something to at least laugh at, now there is no rival bashing, KMEL and WILD were once enemies, now they share the same breakroom. star 1013 sounds like it is trying to play catch-up and act like a top rated AC, I have never liked 1013 even when it was K101, it just sounds bad, and trust me the air talent roster doesn't help ethier. I know that 1 person ranting on some stupid radio board won't make changes over nite, but I know that some people in radio feel the same way as I do, and they are probably the people who could make changes if they wanted too, but don't because a format change could mean they are out of a job, making big bucks doing absolutely nothing and getting paid for it.

1 final word.........does the term "air talent" mean that you actually have to have some sort of "acting ability, a voice, entertaining personality" I hope so.

> I know that 1 person ranting on some stupid radio
> board won't make changes over nite, but I know that some
> people in radio feel the same way as I do, and they are
> probably the people who could make changes if they wanted
> too, but don't because a format change could mean they are
> out of a job, making big bucks doing absolutely nothing and
> getting paid for it.

Ladies and gentlemen, I have identified "only1deejayman".

He is, in actuality, Dennis Miller.
<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

> > I know that 1 person ranting on some stupid radio
> > board won't make changes over nite, but I know that some
> > people in radio feel the same way as I do, and they are
> > probably the people who could make changes if they wanted
> > too, but don't because a format change could mean they are
>
> > out of a job, making big bucks doing absolutely nothing
> and
> > getting paid for it.
>
> Ladies and gentlemen, I have identified "only1deejayman".
>
> He is, in actuality, Dennis Miller.
>

Hahahahaha, that is great!

However, I think he's right.

only1deejayman I have the answer. The PD in 2005 does not program a radio station. Men (and women I'm sure) in black suits do it from thousands of miles away.

Mystery solved. A+ on the rant. That was Quality!<P ID="signature">______________
If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything...</P>

I agree!

This is just view on it..... I feel the best days of San Francisco FM radio era is gone for good and I am not sure if it will ever come back. I thought the best period in San Francisco FM radio era was between 1996 and 1998. Back then, (keep in mine that I was still a teen back then) I can still remember listen to FM radio for hours at the time, Z95.7 just signed on and sounded so good, 99.7/610 KFRC and 96.5 KOIT were much better back then, San Jose's KBAY was way much better back then before they moved to 94.5 dial from 100.3 dial, and 105.7 KARA was still on the air. These days...... I don't listen to FM radio that often anymore before it has just became.... unlistenable! Thankgoodness for Internet streaming so I can listen to radio programs from stations either in other parts of the US or around the world!

I missed those days...

Definitely! Amen on the rant. I am actually a kid in a white t-shirt and shorts (no suit for me) in Boston...I am DYING to see a CHR-Top 40 in San Fran. I want to see it so bad, you have no idea. It makes no sense for a MAJOR MARKET not to have a CHR.

Boston has it. Small markets have AT LEAST one. LA, NY. Cmon guys!

Oh, and if anyone flips, lemme know, im gunna send a tape...

(Alice...cough cough)

> > > I know that 1 person ranting on some stupid radio
> > > board won't make changes over nite, but I know that some
>
> > > people in radio feel the same way as I do, and they are
> > > probably the people who could make changes if they
> wanted
> > > too, but don't because a format change could mean they
> are
> >
> > > out of a job, making big bucks doing absolutely nothing
> > and
> > > getting paid for it.
> >
> > Ladies and gentlemen, I have identified "only1deejayman".
> >
> > He is, in actuality, Dennis Miller.
> >
>
> Hahahahaha, that is great!
>
> However, I think he's right.
>
> only1deejayman I have the answer. The PD in 2005 does not
> program a radio station. Men (and women I'm sure) in black
> suits do it from thousands of miles away.
>
> Mystery solved. A+ on the rant. That was Quality!
>
-TheGuy...InTheRadio</P>

> > I know that 1 person ranting on some stupid radio
> > board won't make changes over nite, but I know that some
> > people in radio feel the same way as I do, and they are
> > probably the people who could make changes if they wanted
> > too, but don't because a format change could mean they are
>
> > out of a job, making big bucks doing absolutely nothing
> and
> > getting paid for it.
>
> Ladies and gentlemen, I have identified "only1deejayman".
>
> He is, in actuality, Dennis Miller.
>

Yeah, and he got fired.

Not how, but why SF radio is messed up

> Definitely! Amen on the rant. I am actually a kid in a white
> t-shirt and shorts (no suit for me) in Boston...I am DYING
> to see a CHR-Top 40 in San Fran. I want to see it so bad,
> you have no idea. It makes no sense for a MAJOR MARKET not
> to have a CHR.
>
> Boston has it. Small markets have AT LEAST one. LA, NY. Cmon
> guys!
>
> Oh, and if anyone flips, lemme know, im gunna send a tape...
>
>
> (Alice...cough cough)
>
> > > > I know that 1 person ranting on some stupid radio
> > > > board won't make changes over nite, but I know that
> some
> >
> > > > people in radio feel the same way as I do, and they
> are
> > > > probably the people who could make changes if they
> > wanted
> > > > too, but don't because a format change could mean they
>
> > are
> > >
> > > > out of a job, making big bucks doing absolutely
> nothing
> > > and
> > > > getting paid for it.
> > >
> > > Ladies and gentlemen, I have identified
> "only1deejayman".
> > >
> > > He is, in actuality, Dennis Miller.
> > >
> >
> > Hahahahaha, that is great!
> >
> > However, I think he's right.
> >
> > only1deejayman I have the answer. The PD in 2005 does not
>
> > program a radio station. Men (and women I'm sure) in
> black
> > suits do it from thousands of miles away.
> >
> > Mystery solved. A+ on the rant. That was Quality!
> >
>

Definition of a Bay Area PD with enough guts to pitch CHR to corporate: A PD who isn't afraid to lose his job.

You know anyone who wants to lose his job in a business with a shrinking job market? Wise up. Crudely put, programmers don't care about the audience, they care about #1, themselves. If not, they could end up in some very deep #2.

Can you blame them? It's very easy to be cavalier about someone else's job but if it were you, would you lobby the idea of a CHR to the suits? Would you convince them to spend millions on talent, marketing and the rest knowing that market history is against you? And if it failed a year later, would you be willing to lose your six-figure PD gig when the suits decide who to blame?

That's a pretty compelling reason why it doesn't happen. The PD at Alice is NOT changing the format. Don't be stupid. Outside of KCBS, it's the most stable station in the cluster. Despite it's unimpressive 12+ numbers (only a fool goes by them), the station continues to bill well. You wanna throw out that revenue and pour money down a black hole with CHR, the most expensive format to operate? And if it tanks, you've not only blown millions on a failure, you've lost all that earning power you had when you were just an aloof sounding Hot AC.

Consider the audience CHR attracts: teens and 20-somethings. With the operating costs of CHR in a major market, that's a lot of money going out, and not alot coming in through generated sales revenue... unless you're big on annuals that everyone fights for: beverage, movies, TV and concerts. Okay, you get the pimple medicine all to yourself. Auto dealers? Major retailers? Not really. The first formats for consideration are almost always the ones that attract money demos. If you're 24, that ain't you.

That's not a prediction, that's a perception. It's the perception corporate has, that many managers and even PDs have: CHR isn't cost effective. You won't change that mindset by arguing your love for top 40 or arguing that the market hasn't had a real CHR since since George Bush was a cokehead. They don't care. In fact, they'll just point to precedent, much like a lawyer does. SF has a colorful history of CHRs that failed --don't even try, they won't care why those stations failed. In fact, this many years later, everyone has their own version of why they failed. They're not interested. They just know what failed.

Add the red flag of a changing demographic from white to brown in much of the 9-county metro along with the success of Spanish radio and your dream gets that much closer to being a pipe dream.

The same logic (or lack thereof) applies to air talent, and by air talent, we're talking morning drive --no offense to DJs but outside of night jocks on CHRs, and stations that have a busier, high content afternoon drive shift, most air talent is interchangable and expendable to corporate, and they've got the voicetracking to prove it. Where are you going to get a morning show? Forget the Doghouse, diehards. Find a morning show anywhere that's worth its salt and see how hard it is to get them to leave. If there's a solid product in Charlotte or Columbus, OH, why would those people with family roots and years of market equity just up and leave just because it's a bigger market? In today's industry climate? That's just as big a risk as going CHR is to corporate. Companies like Clear Channel and Infinity have shown no evidence of backing air talent with money and time, or most important of all, faith and loyalty. Who, in their right mind, would put their trust in those people? C'mon, this board constantly bashes programming decisions in the market. If you had a good gig and a nice life in Tucson, AZ, would you come work for anyone here?

This is an industry that sold out its future for the sake of the dollar. We all know the countless arguments, complaints, predictions and theories about how the industry would soon be without young talent that got groomed doing overnights, or perhaps nights. Drive around and listen to talent in Stockton, Chico or Monterey --adequate at best, but nothing that's been getting polished by a competent programming who knows how to coach talent (and there are fewer such PDs that can coach talent because, like DJs, that job pool has also shrunk considerably in the last 10 years).

A guy from, say, Colorado Springs would gladly make the jump to San Francisco, but he's likely to suck. Oh, he's killer in Colorado Springs, and could probably make the jump to Denver because it's relatively local, but a lot of that has to do with his equity, and the comfort fact the listeners have with him --they've "known him for years," etc. New face, new attitude, new product in a new market? Very tough to do today. Management doesn't have the patience to wait... or the money. Strawberry would NEVER had been hired had he been pitching himself from Colorado Springs. He got hired because he was in the building and was a known quantity. That in itself is a whole other basket of headaches. PDs live in fear of hiring the wrong guy --a prima donna, or a guy with a hot demo, a good line of b.s. but absolutely nothing of a morning show when he finally steps in. THEN what does a programmer do? He does NOT wanna call corporate and say, "Well, that morning show we hired, the one I thought we should hire. Turns out they sucked and we have to hire another one." Now you've got a station on the air and no morning show? Jesus, someone hand me a gun. They'll try a hundred Strawberries before going with an outsider, even if he's far more talented. If you don't think so, imagine how many demos a station gets hit with every week, let alone during an intense period of trying to replace the previous morning show. You can be sure there was some very good talent sent material; in fact, some pretty good talent was probably courted. In the end, what did they do? They went the easy route. That's not a slam on Strawberry, not at all. But that is the reality.

And let's not even get into the mess of trying to hire two guys from one market and a female from another market (a risk Wild is currently taking, albeit it a calculated one). Chemistry is everything on a morning show and it's always a roll of the dice if you've got three complete strangers in a room trying to make it work. In CHR, they need to be off and running right out of the gate. Speedbumps like personality problems are a luxury you just can't afford.

Someone may come along and figure these problems out. People thought AM radio was dead 15 years ago, and they thought CHR was dead 25 years ago. The 80s happened to CHR, the 90s to AM radio. The biggest change since then is the corporate culture, which also happens to be the biggest problem and one much tougher to solve.

Someone on another board wrote that he was glad he's been out of this business, and he'll stick with satellite radio. Satellite may prove to be radio's toughest battle, FM in particular, but frankly, all I can say to that person is, good riddance. Dylan Thomas sends his regards. This thread was started with a post that seemed to me to be just the same guy whining again about his damned CHR, but I'd rather go to bat with him than someone who's decide to just give up. I hope you get your wish.

ah the good ole days!!

Yes, I too would agree about the state of FM radio in the bay area. It has become pretty predictable and for the most part boring. There was a time when SF radio was among the best in the country, but now I can hear virtually the same music here in Austin (with less dial choices to here the same thing of course). THe best years in the bay area was back in the early 90's.

KBAY was at 100.3 putting a clear signal into Turlock and Modesto, not to mention a good chunk of Marin and Contra Costa County. They sounded good.

Hot 97.7 also sounded really good. Growing up just west of San Jose, I always liked the fact that Hot 97.7 represented the south bay, and the hell with anywhere else.

KSAN and KYA were alive and well (although maybe not TOO well). Country music was done correctly in those days (unlike today)

KOME 98.5 was the south bay alternative GEM with lovelines and howard stern mornings! We south bay people didn't have to settle for Live 105's reletively weak SF signal.

And our beloved KSJO was at 92.3 and ONLY 92.3. Long before the 92.1, 92.7 fiasco. Lamont and Tonneli were funny as hell.

Ah the good ole days. SF radio is trashed forever. My advice. Spend a little money monthly and get yourself sirius or xm radio. You'll NEVER go back!! TRUST ME!!

> I'll tell you, first the bay's #1 morning team for like
> years, canned like tuna. Then country format gone, CHR TOP
> 40 format gone, replaced by a JACKED-UP format called MAX.
> SF radio used to be diversified, different, now everything
> is the same, 2 major players own everything in the dam city,
> groups of stations are in the same building, computers run
> everything, jocks are not even live anymore, traffic
> reporting sucks, always has always will, when will they let
> the listeners call in and do the darn traffic reporting live
> from there car, what ever happened to the all request
> hour??? It's gone, is their even 1 good reason left to
> listen to FM radio in san francisco anymore, IMHO, HELL
> NO!!!!
>
> SF radio has gotten stale and quickly, back when Z95.7 was
> on and WILD 949 kept raggin on them even though they really
> had NO competition, now that was something to at least laugh
> at, now there is no rival bashing, KMEL and WILD were once
> enemies, now they share the same breakroom. star 1013 sounds
> like it is trying to play catch-up and act like a top rated
> AC, I have never liked 1013 even when it was K101, it just
> sounds bad, and trust me the air talent roster doesn't help
> ethier. I know that 1 person ranting on some stupid radio
> board won't make changes over nite, but I know that some
> people in radio feel the same way as I do, and they are
> probably the people who could make changes if they wanted
> too, but don't because a format change could mean they are
> out of a job, making big bucks doing absolutely nothing and
> getting paid for it.
>
> 1 final word.........does the term "air talent" mean that
> you actually have to have some sort of "acting ability, a
> voice, entertaining personality" I hope so.
>

Re: Is it that messed up

> That's a pretty compelling reason why it doesn't happen.
> The PD at Alice is NOT changing the format.

The PD does not change the format very often anywhere. Format change is a management decision. In today's radio, it is usually doen in a group, with some kind of listener research added.

> Don't be
> stupid. Outside of KCBS, it's the most stable station in
> the cluster. Despite it's unimpressive 12+ numbers (only a
> fool goes by them), the station continues to bill well. You
> wanna throw out that revenue and pour money down a black
> hole with CHR, the most expensive format to operate?

In all my life, I have never heard that CHR was a costly format. Unless one is putting on an expensive morning show, it is a relatively cheap format compared to others.

> And if
> it tanks, you've not only blown millions on a failure,
> you've lost all that earning power you had when you were
> just an aloof sounding Hot AC.

Since it would not be the PD's decision anyway, this is a moot point
>
> Consider the audience CHR attracts: teens and 20-somethings.
> With the operating costs of CHR in a major market, that's a
> lot of money going out, and not alot coming in through
> generated sales revenue... unless you're big on annuals that
> everyone fights for: beverage, movies, TV and concerts.
> Okay, you get the pimple medicine all to yourself. Auto
> dealers? Major retailers? Not really. The first formats
> for consideration are almost always the ones that attract
> money demos. If you're 24, that ain't you.

Please explain why KIIS in LA, a rhthymic CHR, has ben #1 or #2 in billing in LA for about the last 10 years? Hint: most CHR's have huge 1-34 female appeal, sometimes owning htis demo.
>
> That's not a prediction, that's a perception. It's the
> perception corporate has, that many managers and even PDs
> have: CHR isn't cost effective. You won't change that
> mindset by arguing your love for top 40 or arguing that the
> market hasn't had a real CHR since since George Bush was a
> cokehead. They don't care. In fact, they'll just point to
> precedent, much like a lawyer does.

In reality, they will probably point to the ethnicity of the market and studies that have been done on the "need" for a mainstream CHR. I'm guessing that the major players have done this and that the results are not encouraging. Or someone would have done it. The examples of KGGI and KIIS are worth trying to emulate... but some markets have not core for this brand of CHR, going almost exclusively towards the hip hop side of the format...

> Add the red flag of a changing demographic from white to
> brown in much of the 9-county metro along with the success
> of Spanish radio and your dream gets that much closer to
> being a pipe dream.

This is true. The ethnic influence on a market is huge, as white suburbia emulates the uban trends in music and fashion. And 1, the street basketball shoe and clothing line, sells best in Minnesota!

> Companies like Clear Channel and Infinity
> have shown no evidence of backing air talent with money and
> time, or most important of all, faith and loyalty.

Actually, they are the best places to work if you get results. There is money, there are benfits, and there is recognition.

> Who, in
> their right mind, would put their trust in those people?
> C'mon, this board constantly bashes programming decisions in
> the market. If you had a good gig and a nice life in
> Tucson, AZ, would you come work for anyone here?

Funny, just 6 months ago Clear moved its rhythmic CHR morning show from Tucson to Houston with a boatload of money attached.
> THEN what does a programmer do? He does NOT
> wanna call corporate and say, "Well, that morning show we
> hired, the one I thought we should hire. Turns out they
> sucked and we have to hire another one."

Happens all the time. And in every case I know, the PD still has his or her job Some things don't work out. The head of a major company once told me that half of PD hires don't work out.. they either mess with a good station, or are afraid to mess with a bad one... and you have to move fast.

Your suppositions just do not wash in what I have seen of radio.

Re: ah the good ole days!!

> Ah the good ole days. SF radio is trashed forever. My
> advice. Spend a little money monthly and get yourself
> sirius or xm radio. You'll NEVER go back!! TRUST ME!!

I think I'm going to suggest to the owners that there be a rule about satellite radio only being discussed on their boards. I am very, very tired of people turning threads into a place to promote XM & Sirius.

This board is for the discussion of San Francisco market radio. NOTHING ELSE.

Your post was on-topic for this board UNTIL you added those last four sentences. Why didn't you stop there and stay on-topic?

</P>

I agree, this is a board for bay area radio. But we cannot ignore the FACT that in the next decade or two, satelite radio will be the primary choice for nearly every radio enthusiast in the nation, and for that matter, world. The quality cannot be duplicated on "free radio". But, i understand your rules for this board, and will not make that mistake again. Sorry.

> > Ah the good ole days. SF radio is trashed forever. My
> > advice. Spend a little money monthly and get yourself
> > sirius or xm radio. You'll NEVER go back!! TRUST ME!!
>
> I think I'm going to suggest to the owners that there be a
> rule about satellite radio only being discussed on their
> boards. I am very, very tired of people turning threads
> into a place to promote XM & Sirius.
>
> This board is for the discussion of San Francisco market
> radio. NOTHING ELSE.
>
> Your post was on-topic for this board UNTIL you added those
> last four sentences. Why didn't you stop there and stay
> on-topic?
>

Re: Is it that messed up

David:

"Your suppositions just do not wash in what I have seen of radio."

My comments are based on what I have seen but also on what I know. Anymore than that and I'll have to plead a Bob Novack 5th Amendment. Nor is it any disrespect to you --your posts are among the best that show up on these threads.

"The PD does not change the format very often anywhere."

"Please explain why KIIS in LA, a rhthymic CHR, has ben #1 or #2 in billing in LA for about the last 10 years? Hint: most CHR's have huge 1-34 female appeal, sometimes owning htis demo."

Just to take this particular market, at Alice, the PD has the decision-making power to change quite a bit at the station, or influence its direction. The PD at Wild does not. At Alice, he won't; at Wild, he can't. And by the way, I would say that at Alice, he probably doesn't need to.

Equity, longevity and execution have its perks. That's why KIIS in Los Angeles remains a CHR and remains a top biller. The same is true for KGGI. Both have been well-run stations for a long time, despite some bumps in the road (and for KGGI, one of the more horrific bumps was simulcasting the overly-praised Doghouse). You almost answered your own question when you said "the last 10 years." It's closer to the last 20. We're not talking about heritage stations; we're talking about start-ups.

"Funny, just 6 months ago Clear moved its rhythmic CHR morning show from Tucson to Houston with a boatload of money attached."

Tucson was a randomly chosen city --my Rand McNally mistake. Jumping from market 62 to market 7 is far more tempting than luring, say, Ace and TJ out of Charlotte (#36) to work in highly unstable San Francisco.

"[Companies like Clear Channel and Infinity] are the best places to work if you get results. There is money, there are benfits, and there is recognition."

That's true anywhere, but results take time, time requires patience and patience requires faith in your hiring decision. The product doesn't have to be drop dead outstanding to succeed; it has to be competent and flexible enough to grow with the tools they're given, if they're provided. It's parallel to heritage vs. startup. Like society itself, too many companies want results yesterday and have no interest in nuturing and then harvesting because there is never any long-range thinking. Unlike management in satellite radio, they're not worried about the next five years, they're worried about the next book, the next trend --30 days? Come on. Neither company is the nightmare often portrayed by comments regularly posted on these boards, but they are not likely to provide the answers being sought in this thread.

That said, I agree with you that both probably have made concerted efforts to determine what works best in a given market and for San Francisco, the idea of a mainstream CHR --let's say like Z-100, circa 1986-- just isn't gonna fly. Too expensive to launch, too expensive to run, not likely to to make a profitable turnaround fast enough. Most important of all: It probably just won't work, at least not the way some posters on here would like to see it.

"I have never heard that CHR was a costly format. Unless one is putting on an expensive morning show, it is a relatively cheap format compared to others."

Well, in its day, Z-100 was no nickel and dime operation. It is exactly within the context of a hi-profile morning show that we're talking. Outside of some rock stations, no format has a higher priced talent bank in morning drive. Marketing costs are higher in a self-promotional effort to use various media to reach the people who consume it most: teens and younger women. There's a need for more promotions department employees and interns, and more than one station vehicle, and more appearances in the way of sticker stops, street hits and the like. AC stations, for instance, don't need all that baggage.

"Since it would not be the PD's decision anyway, this is a moot point."

Tell that to the PD. It's about perception, not reality. The fear of failure is more motivating than the passion to try something else that might work.

"Happens all the time. And in every case I know, the PD still has his or her job."

Not in the largest of markets where the word struggle isn't a verb, it's a product. Infinity doesn't need to be reminded of its most recent disasters in New York, lest they be repeated in San Francisco. If there's a fear it might happen, as is often the perception, better to let things stand pat, as mediocre as they might be, rather than swing for the fences and miss. Guts is as rare in corporate America as is talent in radio.

All of that said, would I like to see a CHR in San Francisco? Sure. Can it work? I'll respond with, how much time and money are you willing to spend on it? Will it happen? Doubtful, and unless my sources are wrong, it certainly isn't happening on Alice, which is sort of where this thread began.

> I agree, this is a board for bay area radio. But we cannot
> ignore the FACT that in the next decade or two, satelite
> radio will be the primary choice for nearly every radio
> enthusiast in the nation, and for that matter, world. The
> quality cannot be duplicated on "free radio".

I would suggest that you read some of the threads on the Coast to Coast (national radio board) on the subject of satellite radio. The outlook is nowhere near as rosy as you think.

That being said, terrestrial radio is undergoing another evolutionary phase, just as it has from the days of KDKA and the election returns. Wishing for "the good old days" as it is described in this thread is somewhat like wishing for the days of live network drama and comedy, or for the early days of top-40 radio with the fast-talking DJs, echo, and sound effects.

Local radio -- in any market -- will look at what has worked and what has failed, as well as musical trends, and then try to put something on the air that will sell. While (to take one of the most-heard cries when the subject comes up) CHR has been done in San Francisco, to varying degrees of formatic success, in years past, the reality is that none of those incarnations was a ratings success, measured in terms of agency buys. So, at least for the moment, the corporate suits aren't going to be willing to try it again.

However, the pendulum for "current hit" driven radio swings in time with the music industry, so whenever the present Rhythmic genre becomes yesterday's news, you'll see hit music stations focusing on whatever genre is currently hot.

As a final point, look at Wild. Isn't it fair to call it a CHR, based on what's topping the pop charts?<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

> > I agree, this is a board for bay area radio. But we
> cannot
> > ignore the FACT that in the next decade or two, satelite
> > radio will be the primary choice for nearly every radio
> > enthusiast in the nation, and for that matter, world. The
>
> > quality cannot be duplicated on "free radio".
>
> I would suggest that you read some of the threads on the
> Coast to Coast (national radio board) on the subject of
> satellite radio. The outlook is nowhere near as rosy as you
> think.
>
> That being said, terrestrial radio is undergoing another
> evolutionary phase, just as it has from the days of KDKA and
> the election returns. Wishing for "the good old days" as it
> is described in this thread is somewhat like wishing for the
> days of live network drama and comedy, or for the early days
> of top-40 radio with the fast-talking DJs, echo, and sound
> effects.
>
> Local radio -- in any market -- will look at what has worked
> and what has failed, as well as musical trends, and then try
> to put something on the air that will sell. While (to take
> one of the most-heard cries when the subject comes up) CHR
> has been done in San Francisco, to varying degrees of
> formatic success, in years past, the reality is that none of
> those incarnations was a ratings success, measured in terms
> of agency buys. So, at least for the moment, the corporate
> suits aren't going to be willing to try it again.
>
> However, the pendulum for "current hit" driven radio swings
> in time with the music industry, so whenever the present
> Rhythmic genre becomes yesterday's news, you'll see hit
> music stations focusing on whatever genre is currently hot.
>
>
> As a final point, look at Wild. Isn't it fair to call it a
> CHR, based on what's topping the pop charts?
>
Actually, Clear Channel owns about 5% of XM, and the CEO does not believe that XM or Sirius can survive, even if merged, with their business model. Other pay to play formats have come and gone (anyone remember the cable tv subscriptions for channels?) I had a chance to use an XM equipped vehicle for a couple months, and found it boring. I agree with KM on WiLD...they are the CHR of today, based on what's on the charts.

Play the hits, be entertaining, local, and informative between the cuts...that's what's always made great radio, and people will tune in to great radio.

That was therapeutic, I feel so completely understood. You are my SOUL MATE :)

And that's why I'm still listening to 1980s and 1990s airchecks as I drive around town. But seriously, I have XM and I do not listen to the music channels. (For the poster that suggested satellite is the answer) Satellite sounds like badly encoded 64kbit MP3s. I listen for Bloomberg News, BBC, CSPAN, and CNBC with an occasional channel 64 thrown into the mix.

I agree with the poster that spoke about the cyclicality of it all. FM Radio will first have to die a horrible death in SF and then it will rise from the ashes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom