• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How big was Howard Stern during his FM-run?

E

ericdxx

I'm trying to figure out just how popular Howard Stern really was. I know that he was no. 1 in the morning slot in N.Y. for a long period of time. I know that at some point he was no. 1 in both L.A. and N.Y. There is alot that I don't know though.

1. Was he no.1 in the overall ratings all the way until the end in 2005?
2. For what period of time was he no. 1 in the overall ratings in L.A.?
3. Was he ever no.1 in Chicago and/or Houston?
4. Was he ever sacked by stations in major markets for bad ratings?

...Stern was famously canned from WLUP-AM Chicago in '93 (and replaced by Danny Bonaduce, IIRC) for almost single-handedly killing the station's comedy talk ratings; it flipped to sports talk WMVP soon afterwards...Infinity then placed Stern on WJJD(AM) as a stopgap until they could crank up the hot talk format on WCKG. After Stern left terrestrial radio, WCKG simply died...

back in the 90's stern was on WNAP 93.1 the buzzard. in indianapolis.
i dont think many hoosiers liked him very well.

dave388 said:
back in the 90's stern was on WNAP 93.1 the buzzard. in indianapolis.
i dont think many hoosiers liked him very well.

don`t pretend to know the inside details but I do know it was when 93.1 went from hard rock to radio now when they dropped stern .it may just be that he didn`t fit the new format.

as much as I wanted him to he did not drop bob and tom off the top.I was a bob and tom fan in the day but whatever they had that I really liked about them ,they lost in the early 90`s.

wnap still kept howard on for some time even he failed to become no. 1.he must have had some indianapolis fans. myself included.

as a side comment. his E network program never caught his best moments on radio.

well. i left the indianapolis area in 97/98 so i only know what happen after that untill 2005 when i came back from what i have read. but most of the people i have talked to didnt like him.

and yes bob and tom did seem to lose my intrest in the 90's as well they just didnt seem to be the same as they was.

dave388 said:
well. i left the indianapolis area in 97/98 so i only know what happen after that untill 2005 when i came back from what i have read. but most of the people i have talked to didnt like him.

and yes bob and tom did seem to lose my intrest in the 90's as well they just didnt seem to be the same as they was.

I am just saying he must have had enough fans to keep his show on here.it is obvious he didn`t crack the top.

He was number one in Philly practically from the day he arrived. Tremendous talent, even though his style does not fit what I like. He could be clean and still be funny, unlike many Stern wannabes.

Ultimajock said:
...Stern was famously canned from WLUP-AM Chicago in '93 (and replaced by Danny Bonaduce, IIRC) for almost single-handedly killing the station's comedy talk ratings; it flipped to sports talk WMVP soon afterwards...Infinity then placed Stern on WJJD(AM) as a stopgap until they could crank up the hot talk format on WCKG. After Stern left terrestrial radio, WCKG simply died...

The idea that Stern "killed" the "comedy talk ratings" on WLUP-AM is in and of itself LAUGHABLE. Yeah, if it wwasn't for Stern, all those hack Stern wannabe's would've been so successful!

Talk about revising history. Nice try.

...hey, it's what happened. Deal with it. Chicago has always been a tough market for anything syndicated. Brandmeier had been in the Top 5 12+ and the best Howard did in the same slot before the canning was #17, dragging the rest of the schedule down with him. It wasn't until he'd been on WCKG for a few years that Howard finally built a strong audience in Chicago...

ericdxx said:
2. For what period of time was he no. 1 in the overall ratings in L.A.?

From recollection, he was #1 in English from the first full book after Andy Bloom put him on KLSX (resulting in the famous funeral procession for Mark and Brian on Hollywood Blvd.) until he went to satellite. He was only beaten by either "El Cucuy" or Piolín on KSCA.

hey, it's what happened. Deal with it. Chicago has always been a tough market for anything syndicated. Brandmeier had been in the Top 5 12+ and the best Howard did in the same slot before the canning was #17, dragging the rest of the schedule down with him. It wasn't until he'd been on WCKG for a few years that Howard finally built a strong audience in Chicago...

It works the other way too Ultima Jock...nobody from Chicago translates well in other markets..Johnny B was a disaster in L.A., Steve Dahl never even tried.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom